Forum: Adults / Children & Parenting

Children & Parenting
Can I report someone for not using a child booster seat?
By majahayes Comments: 92, member since Mon Dec 01, 2008
On Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:52 AM

First of all, I live in Ontario Canada. The law states that booster seats must be used until a child is; 8 years old, 80 pounds, or 4'9" tall. Can someone be reported for always driving a 5 year old who weighs 40 pounds and is 3.5 feet tall? And who would you contact? I've tried talking to them and they say that she doesn't need one. According to the law she does, and the fine for not using one is $1000.

7 Replies to Can I report someone for not using a child booster seat?

re: Can I report someone for not using a child booster seat?
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Sat Feb 01, 2014 09:09 PM
Not that I know of... And cops don't necessarily know squat about car seats either... My bro is a cop and tried to put my infant seat in front facing.

I asked him if they would stop anyone for car seat issues and he said maybe opp would but not peel regional.
By LoriCook Comments: 1762, member since Mon Aug 17, 2009
On Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:59 PM
I would not report something like this. If it was my grandchild or other relative I would throw one heck of a fit but otherwise this is one of those areas I don't consider my business after educating the parent.
By majahayes Comments: 92, member since Mon Dec 01, 2008
On Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:55 AM
^ she is a relative, so I feel it is my business. Her father is just too cheap to buy a seat, and too lazy to use it. He sees her on the weekends.
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3643, member since Sat Sep 20, 2003
On Mon Feb 03, 2014 01:26 PM
Then talk to the mother and express your concerns. It's her business. If she feels like it's an issue, then she should have a right to report it. I live in Texas, and here child safety seats are taken seriously.
By dancin_til_death Comments: 4381, member since Sat May 08, 2004
On Thu Feb 06, 2014 05:34 AM
Maybe she can't afford it? She may say that the child doesn't need it, but a lot of people don't like talking about money. I wouldn't report it. I'd probably attempt to help out with the cost of a booster seat, or ask around to see if someone has an old one she can have.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Thu Feb 06, 2014 08:33 AM
You can get a booster for $15 at Walmart... Really don't think its that out of reach... Especially because she should be getting the child tax benefit... And that is where that money is supposed to go... Caring for the child.

I will ask my brother if its something they would even investigate...
By barbarka Comments: 2, member since Mon Mar 24, 2014
On Mon Mar 24, 2014 03:03 AM
I think you should do it. It's nothing about their parents or cops. It's about this baby. What if (please God no) there will be some car accident? Who will suffer? If their parents are not responsible enough to take care of their own child, you must take care of it as a well-behaved human being.

ReplySendWatch