Forum: Irish / Irish

Moving up from beginner/novice
By IzzyIRISH
On Thu Jan 30, 2014 08:37 AM

Hey guys, i'm 16 and an irish dancer still in beginner.

Does anybody have some tips for moving up? Ive only really seen posts on moving up from prelim or prizewinner :(

3 Replies to Moving up from beginner/novice

re: Moving up from beginner/novice
By chevrechevalmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jan 30, 2014 09:31 AM
And dance it clean. Moving up at that level is more about technique than flash. Compete your strongest steps to best of your ability. Smile. Do not fidget or twitch onstage in line.

But practice and stretching everyday will do most of that... Have fun!
re: Moving up from beginner/novice (karma: 1)
By boleyngrrl
On Thu Jan 30, 2014 02:38 PM
All I can say is SLOW DOWN. You seem to be racing through steps and learning a ton, which is great, do not get me wrong. But this is an art. It's a sport, heck yeah, but it has a certain form and technique which is unique to this style of dance. It is not solely about moving through the levels. If you do not take the time to perfect stuff now you're going to have issues when you get higher up.

So take the time. Stretch. Work your steps until you're high on your toes. Make sure you're pointed. Get your upper body correct. Get your movements sharp. Have fun with it. Get the basics down now.

I'm glad that you're excited and eager, but you've just started. You will move, I promise. As eager as you are, and as much as you seem to like this, you will advance. But take your time. Enjoy the journey.

ReplySendWatch