Forum: Irish / Irish

Page:
Page 1 of 3: 1 2 3
Irish Central bashes dancers wearing wigs/makeup -
By sjerosemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:17 PM
Edited by sjerose (158555) on 2014-01-31 12:18:54 formatting
Edited by sjerose (158555) on 2014-01-31 12:19:52 formatting

Here is the original article:
www.irishcentral.com . . .

What really angered me was their Tumblr commentary upon posting the article, so I felt compelled to reply with some points of note myself:
sjerose.tumblr.com . . .

If you're not a Tumblr fan, here was their post with the article:
Changes to rules of Irish Dance Feis aim to decrease the sexualization of young girls because, well, it's gross and it's weird.
I mean come on, that child does not need make up or a fake tan for an IRISH DANCE COMPETITION.
Would this child need make up or a fake tan to play tag with their best friends? No. Don't force your kids to do this. It makes you look weird.

And my reply (spoiler because it's a bit long):
Spoiler: Show
Just a few points of commentary here:

1) “Gentle reminder that when you see a little girl in makeup and you say “oh, she’s being sexualized!” you’re the one sexualizing her. Makeup, wigs, fake tans don’t do that. People do.”

-Tumblr user bloodorangecurls, and I stand by her statement.

2) Another point to make here is that there are multiple Irish dance organizations in existence, many of which already have restrictive rules on the books regarding makeup/tan and elaborate dresses on younger and lower-level dancers. This isn’t a new argument.

3) I am a little disappointed at the lack of research done in this recent string of articles, especially in light of all the intense (and frankly, grossly grammatically incorrect) vitriol by online commentators who you choose to quote, without any real verification if they are indeed Irish dance parents or not. What was your polling demographic here, simply people commenting on your website and Facebook page or other social media outlets? Also, why did you not interview someone regarding the historical background behind the evolution of the wigs as they are today? There has been much societal pressure over the past 50 years of competitive Irish dance to fit the “proper Irish look”, and no amount of angry venting you quote from your comment sections can or will eliminate or invalidate that particular aspect of the Irish dance subculture. It just seems like poor journalism.

4) May I suggest, in light of any future articles your organization feels so compelled to publish in the future, that you reach out to more people in different perspectives on this phenomenon, than just one adjudicator and a slurry of online comments? If you are struggling for sources, there are some very active and articulate Irish dancers, certified instructors, and parents of dancers on the Irish forums of “Dance.net”, many who I’m sure would be more than willing to provide you with their perspectives on Irish dance presentation and it’s various forms, benefits, and detriments. The Irish dance Tumblr community is also very active and international, and would love to engage in conversation with you if you so choose about the complexity of this issue.

5) The internet is full of people trying to make things black and white, so that their point is clearly the correct one, and to hell with what anyone else says. Sadly, the world is not like that. I would have expected one of the more popular Irish publications online to behave more professional than this, regarding a hot topic that clearly not many people outside of the Irish dance scene really seem to understand. There is a lot of gray area here, and it remains a hot topic within the Irish dance community itself. Fortunately, the majority of the Irish dance community, regardless of their affiliations or opinions on matters such as these, treat each other with respect and dignity. Maybe you should research more on that, as well.


Since I had invited IC to come to the wonderful ID community here on DDN, I thought I would give you a head's up, and see if maybe we can start a discussion on this clearly hot topic here. I trust DDN to always be frank and forthcoming in their opinions, while remaining respectful for others as much as possible.

So, what are your thoughts on this article, and the content therein? Agree/disagree?

50 Replies to Irish Central bashes dancers wearing wigs/makeup -

re: Irish Central bashes dancers wearing wigs/makeup -
By Pueppi
On Fri Jan 31, 2014 01:08 PM
sjerose wrote:

1) "Gentle reminder that when you see a little girl in makeup and you say "oh, she's being sexualized!" you're the one sexualizing her. Makeup, wigs, fake tans don't do that. People do."


-Tumblr user bloodorangecurls, and I stand by her statement.

Although I'm not a big fan of strong make up myself I agree with you completely, especially in this point. I think that this is something which is forgotten many times in discussions about this topic.
re: Irish Central bashes dancers wearing wigs/makeup -
By GannTheGloriousmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jan 31, 2014 01:18 PM
Something I read in the article that I want to be sure of, so they're banning makeup under 10 for all levels? If so, that's gonna be rough on a lot of dancers because, let's face it, some of those really brightly colored day-glow dresses would probably look pretty bad on someone without a good tan.

Anyway, yikes, that article is pretty poorly written. I agree, grabbing a few Facebook comments is not research, and the fact that the writer didn't quote anyone who disagrees with the ban is just bad journalism. There's a difference between having a slant in one's writing and acting as if there are no differing opinions.
re: Irish Central bashes dancers wearing wigs/makeup -
By bigTreblemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jan 31, 2014 01:19 PM
I'm going to address the main issues with the makeup rules later when I have the time to write out something, but in the mean time I just want to say that I would venture a guess that the majority of parents involved in ID are NOT in the favor of giving up wigs. Anyone who's spent the 4 hours putting in curlers at night and the 4 hours taking out and separating curls in the morning is not going to be in a hurry to go back to that.


Also, I was absent from DDN for a few years, but is MrsFinnegan still around? She must be throwing a party or something with all this hoopla about no wigs and no makeup. ;)
re: Irish Central bashes dancers wearing wigs/makeup - (karma: 1)
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jan 31, 2014 01:26 PM
My response to the article:

1. As you pointed out, they interviewed ONE AD who doesn't share opinions with a lot of other AD's.
2. All their quotes from "parents" were from Facebook and look to be about as calm and level headed as the Youtube comments section. Who knows if they're actually parents or even involved in Irish dancing period.

There is nothing inherently virtuous about not wearing makeup or wearing natural hair to a feis. I find this especially silly when you have more choices than ever before when it comes to appearance in Irish dancing. Top placers wear natural hair all the time...but I bet you it took them longer to fix their hair than they would if they were wearing a wig. Wigs were introduced as timesavers, period. I actually remember the soft spike days and it smacks of martyrdom that people want to go back to that just so they can feel superior.

People are always going to find something to complain about. I am happy that the other changes came into effect regarding names on dresses, because I see that as a clear conflict of interest. But I think the no makeup rule has only let the grumpy traditionalists out who pine for "the good old days" that never actually existed. Has anyone seen the MW region's rules for u10 costumes?! It's so strict you can't even have patterned fabric on a championship solo dress. To what purpose exactly does that serve?

Irish dancing will never be "Toddlers and Tiaras" because Irish dancing is never, and will never be, solely about appearance. It is about hard work, talent and dedication--not the geometric makeup of your face or the size of your waist. When they make these appearance-based decrees it only serves to confirm people's fears that it's all about looks. It's not a health, safety or moral issue so I fail to understand why the decision was made at all instead of leaving it up to the parents to decide what's best for their child. It's upsetting to see so much commentary about GIRLS' bodies and GIRLS' appearances and nary a peep about the boys. It smacks of sexism and double standards.

Plus whenever people talk about how Irish people "should" look (especially in response to fake tanner) it strikes me as incredibly racist, especially with Ireland's changing demographics. Not all Irish people are white. End of.

Between this and the fiasco with Nationals hotels I've just about had it with anonymous Voy Board Irish dancing parents for the week. Grown people were comparing children with makeup on to sex workers. THE SKY IS NOT FALLING. HAVE ANOTHER DRINK.
re: Irish Central bashes dancers wearing wigs/makeup -
By RinceorNosretep
On Fri Jan 31, 2014 01:34 PM
I think it's absolutely ridiculous how they basically call young girls that wear makeup "gross" and "weird". And to compare an Irish dance competition to playing tag...there is no comparison. They are completely different activities. Of COURSE they're not going to wear makeup and tan to play with their friends.

I really like and agree with your points you made. It is very one-sided how they based their sources solely on one person and online comments on one site. Plus, "the intense (and frankly, grossly grammatically incorrect) vitriol by online commentators" were difficult and rather painful to read. If you want to be taken seriously, couldn't you clean those up a bit? Make yourselves sound at least a TINY bit intelligent? I especially agree with your point on how they overlook the evolution of the Irish dance side culture, how we ended up where we are today. It's not something that happened overnight. It's not a new issue.

I hate how they make it sound like it's mandatory to follow the trends of makeup, wigs and BNDM dresses. Yes, there's social pressure, but it's still a CHOICE. If truly hundreds of people have that big of a problem with it, they can always choose to not follow the trends. Nobody is forcing them to do it. Granted, there are TCs out there that do require "the look", but these people always have the option to move to a different school. It just really bothers me when people act like they don't have a choice in the matter, and wait for bans or laws to pass preventing whatever they perceive they're being "forced" to do. We're not sheep, people. Don't like it? Don't do it. It's that simple. But, on the flip side, just because you don't like it doesn't mean other people can't. Let them have their cake.
re: Irish Central bashes dancers wearing wigs/makeup -
By Camryn
On Fri Jan 31, 2014 01:40 PM
I agree with you. Makeup prevents features from being washed out on stage, that's why dancers wear makeup! Plus it's fun for girls of all ages to wear makeup! Well, not all, in which case, they don't really have to. Sure, the dancing is what matters, but dance is an art and a presentation. The wigs and dresses are part of an Irish dancing. Dresses are expensive though, I don't compete, but if I did I don't know how I'd ever afford one! But if a dancer doesn't want to wear a wig, there are other options, like buns! I've even seen girls wear their natural hair down too. I think it's nice to have different looks.
And as for the sexualization of young girls. NO. NO. NO. Girls do not wear makeup or dress up for boys. And a dance competition is not the same as playing tag. It's a performance. bloodorangecurls comment was spot on.
re: Irish Central bashes dancers wearing wigs/makeup -
By bigTreblemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jan 31, 2014 01:43 PM
Image hotlink - 'http://s23.postimg.org/q0l4503i3/irony.png'


Anyone else see the irony here?
re: Irish Central bashes dancers wearing wigs/makeup - (karma: 3)
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jan 31, 2014 01:58 PM
To add some levity to this discussion, there is literally no way anybody can look sexy dancing to an accordion.
re: Irish Central bashes dancers wearing wigs/makeup - (karma: 2)
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jan 31, 2014 02:07 PM
After over ten years on DDN, and and after maybe 15 years reading Voy and its predecessor Insidetheweb (for those that remember), I'm basically not that inclined to join in the debate anymore. I do take umbrage at people thinking they're experts on Irish dancing based on the fact that they're Irish, or they used to do it...sometimes a little bit of knowledge is more dangerous than no knowledge at all. I think the awfullest thing I saw was some "disturbed dance dad" saying that "women don't see what men see" when they look at a child in make up. I think we pretty much need to remove that particular "DDD" from all feiseanna/classes/anywhere where there might be a child/anywhere there might be any female in any makeup at all - IMMEDIATELY.
re: Irish Central bashes dancers wearing wigs/makeup -
By purling
On Fri Jan 31, 2014 03:06 PM
I get so frustrated with the 'that's not how it used to be,' 'when I was dancing...,' 'there isn't any tradition it that,' yada yada yada. Irish dance fashions are traditional in their own ways. Just because people no longer were giant velvet, hand embroidered dresses doesn't mean they aren't traditional. I think it's beautiful. The wigs, dresses, and even the make-up (though I do think this one can be over the top at times). Traditions change. Every sport has a uniform, ours is just a little more sparkly than average. People always seem to miss that we don't even have to wear these things if we don't want to wear them.

Calling a child gross and weird for wearing make-up has never been okay. I couldn't have said your comment about adults being the ones who perceive this as 'over-sexualised.' Quite frankly, as a little girl, I would have loved getting all dolled up for dance, with the glitter etc. I know all kids don't but if I was in U9 as a champ right now, I'd be crushed.
re: Irish Central bashes dancers wearing wigs/makeup -
By saoirse3473member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jan 31, 2014 05:47 PM
I personally think that the rule of having children under the age of 10 no longer allowed to wear make up is a positive one. There have been some cases where I've seen some small children looking like they're 16, only miniature. The only case where I don't agree with the new rule is at majors- I think a little blush and lipgloss would be just fine, just so the poor dears don't get lost on stage.

But using "sexualization" to make an argument about this whole thing? Are you freaking kidding me? Since when did make up because an object of sexualization in dance, irish or not? Mothers aren't complaining that ballerinas wear too much make up, or that their lyrical, jazz or disco dancers are wearing too much make up on this site. So why bother with Irish dance? What is it about Irish Dance that makes this whole issue to specific to us? Nothing! Stage make up is fine, and I think it can be effective if done right. But it sounds like these people have seen too many episodes of Toddlers And Tiaras and Dance Moms. Let them stir the pot, it's not going to change anything. People will always find a reason to complain as long as it suits them and cures their momentary boredom.
re: Irish Central bashes dancers wearing wigs/makeup -
By GannTheGloriousmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jan 31, 2014 08:33 PM
TheMidlakeMuse wrote:

To add some levity to this discussion, there is literally no way anybody can look sexy dancing to an accordion.

This might be somewhat off topic, but it reminds me of just the other day I had a lengthy discussion with someone I met at the bar downstairs from my apartment about how Irish dance is very un-sexy. He didn't know know much about ID, but he knew enough to know what correct technique looks like, and let's face it, keeping the upper body super straight and minimally bending the knees is far from being salacious.
re: Irish Central bashes dancers wearing wigs/makeup -
By Festivaldancer1
On Sat Feb 01, 2014 05:56 AM
Just to through a spanner in the works here - I'm a Festival dancer and our girls aren't allowed to wear makeup and fake tan, most just wear their hair naturally and we don't have solo dresses, only traditional school costumes, and if you ask me I think they look much nicer and it keeps the focus on the dancing rather than the pageantry of it all.
Here's a photo of some of our champions:

www.fdta.net . . .

Also, as an Irish person, I can confirm that the majority of Irish people think that all the "bling" has gone to far - it's seen as a huge Americanisation of our tradition.
re: Irish Central bashes dancers wearing wigs/makeup - (karma: 1)
By iluviddresses
On Sat Feb 01, 2014 07:58 AM
Festivaldancer1 wrote:

Also, as an Irish person, I can confirm that the majority of Irish people think that all the "bling" has gone to far - it's seen as a huge Americanisation of our tradition.

First, as an Irish "person" (singular), you cannot "confirm" what a "majority" (51% or more of the population) of people in your country think. Additionally, despite what you think "the majority of Irish people think" none of this has come from Americans. As a US person with lots of family in Ireland I can assure you of the following things:

1. When it comes to trends in ID costuming, we are followers. The Irish and/or UK dancers do something and then we follow because we want to "look the part" and they were winning majors before we reached that level. All the Big Name Dress Designers are from IRE/UK and they set all the dress trends. The make-up and tan on little girls, and the overuse of make-up/tan does not come from the US either. Which brings me to point #

2. In everyday culture, my Irish/UK relatives (at least the younger ladies) wear more make-up and tan than ladies in America. While you can find extremes on both sides of the pond, in general this statement is true. I was surprised when I first saw all the ads on TV in Ireland for fake tanning products - I have never seen an ad on TV in America advertising fake tan in a bottle, but I saw many ads for different brands of that product several times a day in Ireland. While staying at my relative's country farm, I noticed they had a bottle of fake-tan in the fridge which the girls used on a regular basis (and none of them Irish dance). I also notice that I see a lot of very, very heavily made up girls/young ladies when I am in Ireland/UK; definitely more than in the US. Not saying that girls in the US don't wear make-up, but it is a very, very rare occurance to see a regular lady on the street with as much make up on as you would wear on stage, but I see such ladies everyday when I am in Ireland.

Now, I am not saying this to disparage IRE/UK or how they do things. My point is solely that NONE OF THIS CAME FROM AMERICA SO STOP BLAMING US.

Thanks for listening.
re: Irish Central bashes dancers wearing wigs/makeup -
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Feb 01, 2014 09:16 AM
Edited by Nyssasistic (74238) on 2014-02-01 09:21:57
I must agree- I have NO clue why anyone would blame the US for these trends because they almost always come from BNDMs or the top schools over in Ireland and the UK.

What's more, those BNDM's tend to follow high fashion and use elements of that in their design style, and VERY few Designers of that caliber are from the US.

Unless you're dancing around in a peasant top and full-length skirt, you're participating in a "trend" from the Irish Dance world. Don't get caught up in the perceived superiority of having a dress or hair/makeup style that's more "traditional" than another, because it really isnt.

Edit: just looked at festivaldancer1's photo... Are you aware that those are Riverdance-era type dresses? Those are so far from what I would call "traditional" that I'm not sure why on earth you'd hold those as simpler/better/above the "current" style of dresses. They came from a fad just like all other irish dance dresses currently worn.
re: Irish Central bashes dancers wearing wigs/makeup -
By Festivaldancer1
On Sat Feb 01, 2014 09:53 AM
I would just like to point out that a. I am not blaming America or Americans, I'm simply stating that the trends in Irish dancing are SEEN by many Irish as being an influence coming from America, that's all. As well as that, I was simply stating what myself and the majority of people I know in my own country think.

As well as that, how are they Riverdance style?

scontent-a-cdg.xx.fbcdn.net . . .

This is a dress from a Festival dancer in the Ulster Museum from the 1950s - the same style that ALL Irish dancers wore at the time. From the previous photo we can see that our style hasn't changed that much, whereas Comisiun dancers has.
re: Irish Central bashes dancers wearing wigs/makeup -
By iluviddresses
On Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:42 AM
Festivaldancer1 wrote:

I would just like to point out that a. I am not blaming America or Americans, I'm simply stating that the trends in Irish dancing are SEEN by many Irish as being an influence coming from America, that's all. As well as that, I was simply stating what myself and the majority of people I know in my own country think.

Now that you know it is incorrect, why don't you expalin to the "majority of people you know" that these trends are coming from Ireland and the UK and they are not an "Americanization" of Irish dance. There is no need to perpetuate this incorrect assumption when you now know the truth.
re: Irish Central bashes dancers wearing wigs/makeup -
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Feb 01, 2014 01:16 PM
Edited by Nyssasistic (74238) on 2014-02-01 13:39:17
What I see in the picture from the 50's is the type of dress that the current CLRG styles have evolved from. However, just because ALL Irish dancers wore that type of dress in the '50's doesn't make it any more "traditional", and that's my point. Even in the 1950's there was a style, or fad, that all irish dancers followed. It doesn't make it the traditional dance uniform just because dancers wore it over a half century ago. In that case, I should argue that wearing medals on dresses should be required because dancers from a century ago used to do it and that must make it more traditional.

But yes, I definitely associate stretch velvet that is skin-tight with the styles riverdance spawned. I wouldn't say they're any closer to the style of that vintage dress than a lot of the newer styles that incorporate the old school Celtic knotwork are.

And, if I recall, a sweetheart neckline is so far from any sort of tradition I can't exactly get on board with that at all.

If you're trying to keep irish dance simple- simple hair, simple dress, etc- then totally go for it. I think it doesn't have any more or less merit than other approaches to the costuming. However, don't do it with the ill-conceived notion that it is, in any way, more or less traditional, because that's just... Not accurate.

Edit:

I googled "Festival" dancing and I understand now that your particular dance style was instituted in the 1950's, so I can see how you may only look back that far to deem what's traditional.

For any other CLRG dancers, looking up "Festival Dancing in Ireland" on Wikipedia and youtube is pretty interesting. I feel like my ID knowledge has broadened a bit :)
re: Irish Central bashes dancers wearing wigs/makeup -
By hannicamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Feb 01, 2014 08:27 PM
I am not fond of the tan, I think that it is kind of silly. It took me forever to find the person I was looking for on stage because she was 4 shades darker than she normally is! I only recognized her because of her dress!

Tanner I feel is a little over board. Its about the dancing not the disgusting smelling spray stuck to your legs. So why have it at all? Whats wrong with natural skin colour?

Its about the dancing and having fun. Perhaps the tag comment was trying to show that. A child doesn't need make up and tanner to have fun. They should just be up there dancing, and enjoying themselves. The tanner and the makeup just makes everything focus on the competitive side of things.

I would actually like to have a wig. I hate the curling iron as it dries up my hair something awful (my teacher doesnt let me have wigs or child looking hair). Also it really makes a difference when you stand up there wearing a dress that you quite like. You want people to take notice of you and your new dress which can really only help you stand out to the judges.

Sexualizing? No I don't think so. That little girl is dancing, not wearing a swimsuit or walking around trying to be a perfect doll. Still the outfit doesn't seem to match the dance form. The wigs do, having a nice dress does, but the tanner doesn't. Make up is fine for older dancers, after all, women in the regular none dance world wear it to look their best so why shouldn't the dancers?
re: Irish Central bashes dancers wearing wigs/makeup -
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Feb 01, 2014 09:08 PM
I can almost guarantee that the parents who are bashing wigs, and calling them "dead animals" have never had to do their child's natural hair for a high impact activity, and have it look nice.


Yes, there is an extreme, where a parent or teacher plops a full size, teen/adult wig on an 8 year old, and can't understand why people are giving the dancer a sideways glance, but I know that Scottish Highland dancers spend a great deal of time and effort to get that lovely smooth bun they wear.
re: Irish Central bashes dancers wearing wigs/makeup -
By twinkletoes2021
On Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:40 PM
When I saw the Irish Central article i got quite defensive over the topic. I can see that a lot of people don't like the idea of make up on wee ones but i also feel that if they are going to be on a bright stage it should be allowed to a certain extent. I'm not saying they need the heavy makeup that some senior dancers wear but i think it should be acceptable for a little makeup. As for fake tanner i am on the fence. Minimal tanner to make your legs stand out can be a good thing. But if you're going to tan your legs it will look 1000x better if you match your face too. it looks really odd when a dancer has almost brown legs and a very pale face. I can't agree with taking away wigs. As much as they are a pain, curlers are much worse. We curled my hair ONCE and then my mom got me a wig for the next year. How they say it is all about the dancing and shouldn't be all about appearance is a reasonable statement, but who doesn't want to get a little dressed up for dance competitions? it can be lots of fun. :)
re: Irish Central bashes dancers wearing wigs/makeup - (karma: 1)
By Dresswitch
On Sun Feb 02, 2014 04:34 AM
There was a post, about the way Irish dancers dressed themselves throughout history, here on dance.net : www.dance.net . . .
What we can see in the pictures is a developing fashion parallel to everyday fashion. If we really want to keep to tradition, we still have to wear long skirts, colourful ribbons and have nails hammered into the soles of our hard shoes? So, tradition is to dance in the fashion of the day.

There is a trend towards less wigs and more natural hair (My DD wears no wig: www.dance.net . . . ).
The thing is that trends are set by the top 5 placers at the oireachtas and world championship. Every dancer who wants to "look the part", looks at the top dancers to copy their look.
Of course some people get it wrong when their legs are so dark from tanning it looks like their somebody else's, but everything can be done in good or bad taste.
My DD and I liked the more natural curled wigs much better than the tight ringlets that looked like a poodle on steroids. ;)
Another thing is the discussion gives people outside ID the idea all Irish dancers look like that. We know this is not the case, you can't wear all the bling and a solo before intermediate level. The majority of dancers are not in championship and participating at the worlds. The majority of the big championships are held on a (big) stage with stage lighting. In the beginning years of the worlds there was no need for big make-up, because the venues where smaller. When venues for these competitions got bigger, the make-up did too.
I can make a parallel with another dance form here. When I did the make-up for the annual dance performance of our local ballet school, the teacher said the make-up had to be BIG. "That's the way it's done in ballet", he said. But the performance was in the ( small) studio, where the distance between dancers and public was about 5 meters. I told him that it was too close and intimate for BIG make-up and toned it down. Afterwards parents told me the make-up was so beautiful, enough to bring out the beautiful faces in the extra light for the performance.
This shows that sometimes it's good to have it BIG, sometimes it's good to have it toned down. Maybe something to keep in the back of our heads when doing make-up on our dancers, especially the little ones.
We never had so much choice in dresses, hair-do/ (bun)wigs, tanner and make-up, let's keep it tasteful and there will be no need for bans whatsoever. :)
re: Irish Central bashes dancers wearing wigs/makeup -
By GannTheGloriousmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Feb 02, 2014 08:39 AM
Dresswitch wrote:

There was a post, about the way Irish dancers dressed themselves throughout history, here on dance.net : www.dance.net . . .
What we can see in the pictures is a developing fashion parallel to everyday fashion. If we really want to keep to tradition, we still have to wear long skirts, colourful ribbons and have nails hammered into the soles of our hard shoes? So, tradition is to dance in the fashion of the day.


And guys would be wearing kilts!
re: Irish Central bashes dancers wearing wigs/makeup -
By Kirvin3member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:04 AM
Our son is two and not dancing YET, but he already has a kilt and hopefully will dance in it for a while at least. There was a boy at our school who did for a couple years. There was also a man at the Mid-America Oireachtas in the Traditional Set competition (adults) in a kilt and jacket.
Page:
Page 1 of 3: 1 2 3

ReplySendWatch

Powered by XP Experience Server.
Copyright ©1999-2019 XP.COM, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
XL
LG
MD
SM
XS
XL
LG
MD
SM
XS