Forum: Irish / Irish - Dressmakers & Costumers

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
I was bored... (karma: 1)
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jan 31, 2014 07:30 PM

I know many of you know I remade my solo skirt 2 years ago. Well, I am bored with it. Sooooo bored. So I decided to make another! I found this absolutely fabulous fabric to use as an overlay. It was expensive, but 25% off and then I had a coupon for 20% off.

So I designed and made another skirt attached to an under bodice. And the best thing is, I did it all for under $100.

It's all soft, though it does have netting underneath. It moves very nicely when I dance.

27 Replies to I was bored...

re: I was bored...
By JenBlackerbymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jan 31, 2014 07:45 PM
It's beautiful!
By hummingbird
On Fri Jan 31, 2014 08:44 PM
Did you use your old bodice for this one?

That looks amazing, I love the fabric!
By GannTheGloriousmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jan 31, 2014 09:04 PM
The fabric is GORGEOUS, and so awesome that you got a sale and a coupon! I do a lot of sewing, crafting, couponing, and dancing. So, of course I think it's great you brought all of this together. The gold looks really fun!
By sarahrID
On Fri Jan 31, 2014 09:26 PM
Love the gold! That is such beautiful fabric and the skirt looks like would move beautifully when you dance.
By Sumayah
On Sat Feb 01, 2014 01:24 AM
You also have a gold sequin cape, right? That fabric is divine! It's so, so pretty! Well done!
By EireLibramember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Feb 01, 2014 04:49 PM
Love it! Great job! That fabric is a perfect fit.

I wish I was bored more often. ;)
By Realtreble
On Sat Feb 01, 2014 05:41 PM
Edited by Realtreble (146991) on 2014-02-01 17:47:39
That dress has more lives than a cat! What a beautiful transition. The overall effect is light, sophisticated, rich and elegant. I hope your choreography has some spins; that skirt will twirl nicely.

Congratulations!

PS: What's the fabric under the embellished tulle? Bridal satin? Crystal satin? Metallic spandex?
On Sat Feb 01, 2014 08:08 PM
Thanks for the compliments everyone!

Hummingbird, yes it is the same bodice all along. I have never felt inspired enough to tackle another one.

Sumayah, yes I do have a gold sequin cape, but it is the wrong shade and I will have to make another. Have not yet come up with a design, other than it will be soft.

Realtreble, it is crepe back satin, which is lined with antistatic lining fabric. Then there is a petticoat (salvaged from the last skirt) under that to give it some body.
By Tansey
On Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:36 PM
What a gorgeous skirt! I love the fabric! Hope your "new" dress brings you lots of luck!
By Realtreble
On Sun Feb 02, 2014 07:08 AM
Love, love, love the interior, especially the mix of tulle colors. I find crepe back satin a %#!!!* to work with; you did an excellent job and must have the patience of Job. Happy dancing!
On Sun Feb 02, 2014 01:30 PM
Realtreble, the fabric wasn't as much of a pain to work with as this little rascal was. She kept stealing pins, bobbins, etc! She is picking up my marking chalk in the picture. :)

Comment #10169014 deleted
Removed by hummingbird (128773) on 2014-02-02 21:08:38 Double post.

Comment #10169081 deleted
Removed by hummingbird (128773) on 2014-02-02 21:08:03 Double post.

By hummingbird
On Sun Feb 02, 2014 09:11 PM
Edited by hummingbird (128773) on 2014-02-02 21:12:44
Now don't be too harsh :)

Cats just know they look much better than any human in frills, sequins and glitter, lets face it, it's just a fact of life we have yet to acknowledge.

I mean, what looks better than black fur against gold glitter?
By Realtreble
On Mon Feb 03, 2014 09:42 AM
Well, that explains why you did such a good job. You had an able assistant.

For fun, could you post a photo of "this" dress in all of its incarnations from multipanel to this soft skirt. I'm not certain people realize how resourceful and creative you've been with a dress I'd wager is 5 to 10 years old.
By Lunamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:55 AM
I love the new skirt, you did a fabulous job! The fabric is very elegant and appropriate with your dress.
On Mon Feb 03, 2014 03:14 PM
Realtreble, I did just that after I did the last incarnation! Here is the link to the post that shows the first 3 ways I had the skirt, with 2 variations on the cape (3rd one currently in pieces on the sewing table!)

www.dance.net . . .
By highlanddncr
On Mon Feb 03, 2014 04:15 PM
Love it, love it, love it! You did such a nice job. I wish I had your sewing talent! How about picking up the white for the cape color maybe with burgundy edging/embroidery?
On Mon Feb 03, 2014 04:19 PM
hmmm, it hadn't occurred to me to use the white/cream. Ill have to think on that one. thanks for the idea
re: I was bored... (karma: 1)
By Realtreble
On Mon Feb 03, 2014 05:39 PM
Two final comments:

Consider a smaller shawl, especially if you can remove the attachment at the shoulder without leaving a mark. The skirt is soft and swirls; you don't need a swirling cape, too. That may create too much motion and distract from your dancing. The trend is toward smaller shawls right now.

After reviewing all your photos of the dress's evolution, I've got to say, you are just getting better with age(and a bit blonder)! You're more toned and trim than ever. I'm jealous!
By chevrechevalmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Feb 06, 2014 03:46 PM
The new skirt is lovely. Well done on the layers and pleating. Gold stars and glitter dust for getting such a good deal, too. Well done!
By irishstep
On Fri Feb 07, 2014 07:47 AM
It's really beautiful. Great job.
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Feb 07, 2014 02:11 PM
the update really brings the dress back into style, and the bronzy-gold is lovely. The best part of having a 2 piece dress is that you can update half of it without having to remake the entire dress.

Well done!
By sjerosemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Feb 07, 2014 02:24 PM
I am so jealous. I wish I had half your craftiness talent. It looks absolutely amazing and I would LOVE to see the new skirt in action! :)
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch