Forum: Adults / 20 Something

Possible to still do it?
By holly88
On Sat Feb 01, 2014 06:01 AM

Hi everyone,

i wanted to see if theres anyone who may have been in a similar situation to me or have some advice.
I have danced my whole life always wanted to be a dancer/actress etc. Towards the end of college i began to get very ill and a few months down the line i was completly bedridden with my illness. Ive had a very hard few years and have hardly been able to walk let alone dance. Anyway i am finally back on my feet and wanting to dance more than ever. I know its gunna take alot of effort if i want to get back to how i was. I have obviously lost alot of my strength i lost alot of muscle too from being sick and flexability but i miss it so much and am prepared to work my butt off !....however....i am now 25....i feel like i will need a good year of classes/strengthing/stretching ect to even be back at a level where i feel comfortable to go to auditions . I just dont know what to do? Am i too old now to even get any work, obviously my cv is gonna look rubbish because i had one small job when i left college but obviously have been ill for the next few years. I just dont know whether theres any point in pushing myself to such extreme levels if its hopeless il get anything out of it? Anyway can anyone give me any suggestions .....also any suggestions about acting, i have done no acting work really but have always been told im good and used to win all my acting competitions i used to do , but i have no professional experience, i do know however they are more forgiving with age.
Anyway if anyone can let me know what the think i would really appretiate it.
btw i live in uk!

Thanks guys

6 Replies to Possible to still do it?

re: Possible to still do it?
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:02 PM
holly88 wrote:

I have obviously lost alot of my strength i lost alot of muscle too from being sick and flexability but i miss it so much and am prepared to work my butt off !
Well, you need to do SOMETHING to get the strength and muscle and flexibility back so it might as well be dance. Realistically, you are not going to become a professional ballerina re-starting at this age. However if you pursue acting then the more entertainment skills you have -- singing, dancing, acrobatics, even juggling etc., etc. -- the more valuable you will be whether you are able to make it as a professional or whether this becomes a rewarding hobby. So go for it!
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:58 PM
An actress who can dance has an advantage. Acting, it doesn't really matter how old you are, there will always be parts for every age range.
By holly88
On Mon Feb 03, 2014 08:01 AM
thanks to the responses.
Yes i am definatly getting back into class asap and doing lots of stretching etc. I think my flexibility will come back to where it was quite quickly as ive been flexible ever since i was young but its getting my strength back and my turns and stuff !

'Realistically, you are not going to become a professional ballerina re-starting at this age.'

Lol , yeah i wouldnt of been able to be a balleina anyway! I more was wanting to do commerical/backing dancing, or musical theatre work.

I guess il just see what happens, ive been thinking over the last few days and i think il go back to class and see how i feel in like 6 months. Im also gunna try get a teaching job as i used to teach part time when i was training and maybe thats more realistic.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Feb 03, 2014 08:08 AM
^Regardless of the type of dance you want to do professionally, the window's closing pretty fast. And that's not to say that you can't make a career in dance, it's just saying that your career as a professional dancer is closing. For every 10 kids that WANT to be professionals, there's 1 available job. And even you have to know - a 18 year old with a perfect body, and no illnesses or injuries beats the pants off a 25 year old that's been out of the game a few years, and has a seemingly serious illness. If I'm casting, and those are my choices, I'm taking the 18 year old, every day of the week.
By holly88
On Mon Feb 03, 2014 08:34 AM
^^^^^

Completly agree with you...il just see how it goes. Just sucks its like my whole lifes work thrown away :( ...its hard but these things happen, and hey im still alive and il be happy to just be back in the studio !
By Mingzay88
On Thu Feb 13, 2014 05:17 PM
Go for it. You'll regret it and be filled with "what ifs" if you don't.

check on Youtube. there are many dancers on there who started late and now are well known choreographers teaching around the world, dancing on tour for famous singers, and choreographing for videos.

though you may not want to choreograph exactly, my point is if you have the passion, and the will you can go far. Plus you have a dance background so... :)

ReplySendWatch