Forum: Arts / Books

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Books
Which book/s are you reading right now? V 2.0!
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7575, member since Sat Jan 04, 2003
On Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:48 AM

Old thread is too old to comment on. So hallo, V 2.0!

I am currently reading The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion, read first three chapters, seems like a light hearted fun and sweet book :) It's about a genetics professor with Asperger's who decides to concoct his own algorithm to find a wife. Kinda reminds me of the male version of this lady that reverse engineered online dating.

www.ted.com . . .

I felt like something a bit more light hearted after a heavy long (but ultimately brilliant) Murakami novel.

48 Replies to Which book/s are you reading right now? V 2.0!

re: Which book/s are you reading right now? V 2.0!
By Teamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1321, member since Mon Apr 14, 2008
On Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:31 PM
That sounds interesting!

I'm reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I love, love, love Gaiman and I don't know why it has taken me so long to read this one.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:39 PM
Speaker for the Dead (Audio)- Orson Scott Card
Side Jobs - Jim Butcher

And like three textbooks.
By Amyliamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4405, member since Fri Apr 11, 2003
On Sat Feb 01, 2014 02:20 PM
I'm reading Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins.
re: Which book/s are you reading right now? V 2.0! (karma: 1)
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Sun Feb 02, 2014 03:29 AM
Shadows of the Workhouse - Jennifer Worth. This is the second book in the Call The Midwife series of memoirs, and partially what the tv show is based on.
The Wonder Weeks - Frans Plooj & Dr Hetty van de Rijt. A book about baby mental development. Very interesting, and explains the fussy weeks when nothing goes right.
Raising Boys - Steve Biddulph.
Is it Just Me - Miranda Hart. I like this actress/comedian, so when I heard she wrote a book, I had to read it.

And I've just finished:
The Mystery of Mercy Close - Marian Keyes
Walking on Trampolines - Frances Whiting. Loved this one, a gentle, moving story of relationships.
By cj01 Comments: 1, member since Mon Feb 03, 2014
On Mon Feb 03, 2014 03:58 PM
i have just finished reading all the Harry Potter books in1 week!

met cathy cassidy today at the garick. had a lecture and had many books siggned!

have also read all her series the chocolate box girls.

she is so funny!:-P
By lift Comments: 105, member since Tue Nov 04, 2008
On Mon Feb 03, 2014 05:43 PM
The Handmaids Tale, Margot Atwood
Night, Eli Wiesel
1984, George Orwell

Night is really messing with me, but I can't stop reading it. I almost want to read it again. I think Wiesel wrote a trilogy beginning with Night. I will be reading those next.
By boleyngrrl Comments: 2550, member since Sat Apr 15, 2006
On Mon Feb 03, 2014 06:42 PM
^Oy. Had to study Night 2 years in a row (switched schools). It was rough. Important, and a book I think everyone should read, but not exactly light material emotionally. I don't think I'll read it again just because it was so incredibly evoking.

I'm rereading The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King. As well as all my school texts.
By Merfi Comments: 3099, member since Wed Jan 18, 2006
On Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:58 PM
According to my GoodReads profile, I am currently reading:

Jane Eyre- Charlotte Bronte
Jude the Obscure- Thomas Hardy
Vanity Fair- William Thackeray
The Mill on the Floss- George Eliot
Heart of Darkness- Joseph Conrad
The Ocean At the End of the Lane- Neil Gaiman
The Complete Cosmicomics- Italo Calvino
The Winter's Tale- Shakespeare

The first five of those are from my Victorian Lit course last semester, and I never finished reading them, although I intend to at some point.
By MarlaSingermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3906, member since Fri Jul 25, 2008
On Wed Feb 05, 2014 09:17 AM
The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. I'm not finding it quite as mesmerizing as The Secret History (same author), but I'm only about two-thirds of the way through, so we'll see.

Before that I read the MaddAddam trilogy by Margaret Atwood, and I think my next read will probably be Sisterland by Curtis Sittenfeld.
By pokomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 9026, member since Sun Oct 31, 2004
On Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:56 AM
I am just finishing up the autobiography of Turia Pitt, an Australian woman who was caught in bush fires during a marathon and obtained burns to over 80% of her body. It's an amazing read, and so inspirational.
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:02 PM
I just started reading "Beyond Belief" by Jenna Miscavige Hill. It's a memoir by a woman raised as a Scientologist and part of their "inner circle", so to speak, who has now left the faith, and it is fascinating and scary. I can barely tear myself away.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Thu Feb 13, 2014 01:52 PM
Bad Luck and Trouble - Lee Child
Xenocide (Audio) - Orson Scott Card

I have a stack of all of the Jack Reacher books and I just got around to getting back into it. They are very fun reads.
By Elia_Jay Comments: 33, member since Sun Feb 02, 2014
On Thu Feb 13, 2014 03:26 PM
Right now, I'm only really only reading my positive psychology book for my class...Authentic Happiness. But I have a number of books on my Kindle to read when I get a spare moment.
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Fri Feb 14, 2014 06:29 AM
Edited by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2014-02-14 06:34:20
I just finished up The Fault in our Stars by John Green and cracked open Beyond Belief: My Secret Life Inside Scientology and My Harrowing Escape by Jenna Miscavaige Hill this morning (whoa, Megan, total synchronicity!). I get on these rolls where I just read and read and read; this is book #4 this week. Trying to read 50 books in 2014 thanks to the Goodreads challenge and I may get there sooner than December at this rate!
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:31 AM
Oh I only do great literature. My current read is along the lines of "iPhone 5c for Dummies." :P My daughter decided that it was time for my wife and I to get into the 21st century. We've both had cell phones for over 20 years, but they were simply phones, on a super cheapy program from my former employer. She has a super cheap family plan from her school district (she's a teacher) which incentivizes "the more the merrier." So we are both in the learning curve. I have yet to use it as a phone, aside from testing it but only 4 people know our number. I still have to figure out how to set up my email account and we don't have any apps aside from what came with it. My 10 year old eldest grandson has offered to tutor us, LOL

Jon
By Amyliamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4405, member since Fri Apr 11, 2003
On Sun Feb 16, 2014 05:30 PM
Just finished "My Soul to Steal" by Rachel Vincent.

After reading this I just put a hold on Beyond Belief at the library.
By Tansey Comments: 2367, member since Fri Mar 27, 2009
On Sun Feb 16, 2014 09:16 PM
I'm listening to the audiobook version of The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. It's very good.
By GetRhythmmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4773, member since Mon Jun 20, 2005
On Wed Feb 19, 2014 08:15 PM
Working on Allegiant right now. I read Divergent and Insurgent in about two days (each), but I can't seem to speed through Allegiant. It's not as good as the first two, and I know it's headed for a sad ending (or so I'm told).
On Thu Feb 20, 2014 05:03 AM
Started reading Divergent. Also about to start Ruby Red by Kierstin Geir. It's another trilogy.
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Thu Feb 20, 2014 07:01 AM
I just read Divergent. Eh, it was okay. Kind of a low-rent Hunger Games IMO. That doesn't mean I don't have the next two on hold at the library. ;)

Now I'm reading One Summer: America, 1927 by Bill Bryson.
By Tansey Comments: 2367, member since Fri Mar 27, 2009
On Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:41 AM
TheMidlakeMuse wrote:

Now I'm reading One Summer: America, 1927 by Bill Bryson.

Is it good? I love Bill Bryson's books. It's hard to choose a favorite, but mine might be A Walk in the Woods. I do love his other books about the universe, the home, and of course the ones on the English language as used in North America and the UK.
On Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:46 AM
^ This is the first book I've read of his and I really enjoy his style. It's an interesting way to set up a history book, going through all the major news stories of the summer of 1927 (it's a lot about Lindbergh right now) and showing how they shaped the decades to come. I think I'm going to have to start reading his back catalogue next.
By SoILWritermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3881, member since Wed May 29, 2002
On Thu Feb 20, 2014 01:21 PM
I just finished "Wicked" by Gregory Maguire. Now, according to my Goodreads profile, I'm reading "The Last Song" by Nicholas Sparks, "The Bell Jar" by Silvia Platt, "Will Grayson, Will Grayson" by John Green and "Sarah's Key" by Tatiana de Rosnay.

I saw a "Quarter Life Crisis" reading list on Pinterest, and I want to read all 29 books on the list.

And "Eat, Pray, Love" and the rest of the Wicked series is on my list, but I'm loaning the second book of the series out to one of my co-workers.
On Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:51 PM
Now I'm reading "Nothing to Lose" by Lee Child. Still listening to "Xenocide."
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch