Forum: Arts / Books

Page:
Page 2 of 21 2
re: Which book/s are you reading right now? V 2.0! (karma: 1)
By Angelinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10300, member since Mon May 06, 2002
On Mon Feb 24, 2014 01:35 PM
Dani, I'm reading One Summer by Bill Bryson too! I love his books - if you're visiting the UK soon, I recommend reading Notes from a Small Island. It is hysterically funny (on a train in Austria one time, I had to excuse myself from the carriage because I was snorting with laughter and all the Austrians were staring).
re: Which book/s are you reading right now? V 2.0!
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Fri Feb 28, 2014 06:59 PM
^ Thanks for the recommendation! I'll have to put it on hold at the library.

Currently halfway through The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon. I haven't been this impressed with a novel in a while. The world building and jargon at the beginning took a little while to get going, but I really like where it's going and am tearing through to the finale!
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Fri Feb 28, 2014 09:52 PM
I keep falling asleep when I read my textbooks. So boring most of the time. Though, one of them sneaked in some Star Trek references in the last chapter I had to read (about Picard and his tea, Earl Grey, Hot). Last night I started reading around 11pm and next thing I knew it was 1am and I had a book on my face.

Still listening to Xenocide in my car, it's getting really good and it's been hard for me to get out of my car.

Still reading Nothing to Lose.

I bought Divergent on my nook because I know that I would have no hope of getting it from the library anytime soon. I also bought all of the Vampire Academy books, because I want to re-read them, and I usually only want to buy things for my nook that I think I will read more than once.
By Live_on_Broadway Comments: 2538, member since Tue Oct 01, 2002
On Sat Mar 01, 2014 09:30 AM
I'm currently reading Circles of Time by Phillip Rock. It's the second book in a trilogy (The Passing Bells, Circles of Time, A Future Arrived) about WWI and life in England in the 1910s and 1920s. It was written in the 70s, but apparently the books are making a comeback thanks to the popularity of Downton Abbey. They're really well written, so if you like historical fiction, I highly recommend them!
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:27 AM
Finished listening to Xenocide and started Children of the Mind.

Still reading Nothing to Lose, but I hope to finish this weekend. I got a copy of The Chase by Janet Evanovich from the library but there are a ton of holds on it so I need to read it quick (which wont be hard once I start).

Since I am moving I've been boxing up my books and have decided to just buy ebooks from now on (four boxes so far and I still have a few more shelves to go), unless it is a pretty leather book.
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:34 AM
Finished The Bone Season and I am DYYYING now that the next book isn't until October! It reminded me a little bit of The Golden Compass in that they both had an alternate-universe Oxford in them. Plus, hottest not-sex love scene ever. Those of you who have read the book know what I'm talking about. Wowzers.

I'm currently re-reading Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children so that I can move on to its sequel Hollow City.
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7575, member since Sat Jan 04, 2003
On Thu Mar 27, 2014 06:37 AM
Thirteen Reasons Why
and because a friend threw it at me, Harvesting the Hart by Jodi Piccoult
On Thu Mar 27, 2014 01:09 PM
Still listening to Children of the Mind, but I only have one disk left.

Reading M.C. Beaton's Death of a Policeman and A Game of Thrones. I had to put Game of Thrones on hold while I read Death of a Policeman, because it has a lot of holds on it.
On Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:36 PM
I read The Lorax today. But I'm not counting it ;) I had never read that one and was curious because I had seen the movie.
On Fri Apr 18, 2014 07:26 PM
Finally finished A Game of Thrones. Now I am on A Clash of Kings.

Listening to Shadow of the Hedgemon. Just finished Enders Shadow, which I liked a lot better than Enders Game... Bean was just more interesting.
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Sat Apr 19, 2014 09:56 PM
Current reading..."How to use you new iPhone 5" :P

Jon
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Tue Apr 22, 2014 08:49 PM
Too many books on the go, not enough time to read them all, again.

Is it Just Me - Miranda Hart
Still going on this one because it's a good one to pick up and put down. Very funny!

Raising Boys - Steve Biddulph
Still plodding along with this. Not very far into it, because I've found more entertaining reads.

Northanger Abbey - Val McDermid
A modern twist on the Jane Austen novel of the same name, set in the Edinburgh Fringe festival. Not as good as I hoped it would be - too many lapses into archaic language that make it seem like she's trying too hard to follow the textual styles of the original.

Mammy Walsh's A-Z of the Walsh Family - Marian Keyes.
A light little read, giving a bit of backstory to the families in Keyes' other novels.

The Tea Chest - Josephine Moon
Not very far into this, but it has promise.

(and you should see my to-read list...!)
By pharmadancermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3459, member since Tue Mar 16, 2004
On Wed May 07, 2014 08:52 AM
I just started Anna Karenina and am hooked, although it's a very long book and I'm trying not to binge read as much as I used to... (ignoring the boyfriend for days at a time). So it'll take me a lot longer to read this than other books.

I've also gotten three quarters of the way through Man's Search for Meaning (Viktor Frankl) - it's very good.

And I have a few non-fiction books that I am trying to slowly make my way through - Full Catastrophe Living and The Feeling Good Handbook
On Wed May 07, 2014 08:43 PM
Just finished Shadow of the Hedgemon. Started Shadow Puppets. Still reading A Clash of Kings.
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7113, member since Fri Aug 02, 2002
On Wed May 07, 2014 08:57 PM
TheMidlakeMuse wrote:

I'm currently re-reading Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children so that I can move on to its sequel Hollow City.

The sequel is out?! I knew I clicked on this post for a reason! Thanks :)

I'm currently reading Adventures in Tandem Nursing. No new novels have taken my fancy lately.
By djcharamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 967, member since Mon Jan 11, 2010
On Wed May 21, 2014 05:33 PM
Just finished all the Series of Unfortunate Events :) I had read all but I think the last 2, but really wanted to read them again and let me tell you, they are SO GOOD. And you miss a lot of how clever they are when you read them at age 10 I think.

Currently about 500 pages into Les Miserables. It's a lot, and there are long bits of it that are not exactly page-turning, but wow. Such a powerful story, and so much of the human experience in all of those pages.
On Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:33 PM
I finished Mr Mercedes the other day and I LOVED it.

Now, I'm reading City of Heavenly Fire and listening to A War of Gifts.
By xBallet_babex Comments: 1300, member since Thu Jul 17, 2008
On Sun Jun 15, 2014 08:08 PM
I just finished The Fault in our Stars and it was AMAZING! It's probably the best book that I've read so far this year. It's sad, but SO good that I couldn't put it down and now I want to read all his books!

I'm not sure what I want to read next since I have a lot of options, but I'm thinking The City of Heavenly Fire. I'm so glad someone started this up again because I got a lot of books ideas from these posts.
On Sun Jun 15, 2014 09:03 PM
xBallet_babex wrote:

I'm not sure what I want to read next since I have a lot of options, but I'm thinking The City of Heavenly Fire. I'm so glad someone started this up again because I got a lot of books ideas from these posts.

City of Heavenly Fire was good. She did a good job tying in characters from the Infernal Devices and did a good lead in to her next series the Dark Artifices.

I'm listening to Ender in Exile. What is bothering me about these Ender books is the overall theme of getting married and having babies.

About to start The Immortal Crown by Richelle Mead. The second Age of X book. Pretty excited about it. Later this week I'll be getting a copy of Top Secret Twenty-One by Janet Evanovich.
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Mon Jun 16, 2014 04:59 AM
The Casual Vacancy - JK Rowling
Worlds away from the magic of Harry Potter, this proves that Rowling is more than a one-trick pony. It's an engaging, enthralling read. Who knew such muddy undercurrents lurked beneath small middle-class villages?

Sense and Sensibility - Joanna Trollope
A part of the Austen Project, re-imagining Jane Austen's classic works for the twenty first century. Northanger Abbey was also one of these, but I much preferred Sense and Sensibility. (But then, N.A has always been one of my least favourite Austen novels)

The Honest Toddler's Guide to Parenting - Bunmi Laditan
Because we all need a good giggle on this mad rollercoaster journey called Toddlerhood.

My to-read list:
The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern
Austenland - Shannon Hale
The Secret Life of Bees - Sue Monk Kidd
The Book Thief - Markus Zusak
The Fult in Our Stars - John Greene
The Returned - Jason Mott
Divergent - Veronica Roth
The Fall of Arthur - JRR Tolkien
On Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:19 PM
The Immortal Crown was amazing. I don't know anyone else whose read the series (well, so far it's just two books), so I have no one to talk to about it! My mom read Mr. Mercedes after I did and we both agree that it was awesome and can't wait for the next one. AND we convinced my bother to read it too.

Now, I'm a bit torn. I don't think I'll get my copy of Top Secret Twenty one until Thursday. It could be tomorrow, but I doubt it (library copy usually gets it to you a day or two after it comes out). So I pulled out For a Few Demons More by Kim Harrison. I binged read through the first four of the series. But I also need to read Gone Tomorrow by Lee Child, but I think it will take longer to read.
On Wed Jun 18, 2014 07:28 AM
Re-reading Fahrenheit 451 to lesson plan. I'm tutoring twin 16 year old boys this summer in literature and writing, and this was one of the three books I assigned. For funsies I'm reading Murder on the Orient Express since I just watched that Doctor Who episode with Agatha Christie and realized I'd never actually read any of her work.
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:35 AM
I just bought the complete trilogy of 1Q84 by Murakami and I can't wait to dig into it after my exam on the 24th!

Recently getting into a lot of sci fi. With my husband home I'm getting more exposed to the cyberpunk and sci fi genres. Pretty interesting in my opinion.
Also, I have too many books in my Amazon and Book Depository carts, lol.
On Thu Jun 26, 2014 09:53 AM
I finally got my copy of Top Secret Twenty-One. I let my mom read it first - she read it yesterday. I'll start it on my break at work today.
Page:
Page 2 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch