Forum: Folk / Belly Dance

Belly Dance
Interested in trying Belly Dance
By Elia_Jay Comments: 33, member since Sun Feb 02, 2014
On Sun Feb 02, 2014 05:55 PM

I have been interested in trying belly dance for quite a number of years, but as a teenager, my mom didn't allow me, and now, for the first time in my life, I have the money to pay for it myself and the time to do it.

Any tips for someone just starting? I'm going to sign up for a class that starts in a few weeks!

2 Replies to Interested in trying Belly Dance

re: Interested in trying Belly Dance
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Sun Feb 16, 2014 01:55 AM
have fun!
I don't know what style of dance, if any, you currently do, but bellydance is usually much more grounded than other dance styles. Keep your feet flat and parallel, knees bent, spine neutral. And don't overthink. It's a lot of fun - I hope you enjoy it.

If you get hooked, it can be a very expensive hobby, though! (costumes, belts, veils, zills, swords, jewellery, other props.....)
re: Interested in trying Belly Dance
By Elia_Jay Comments: 33, member since Sun Feb 02, 2014
On Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:19 AM
I'm currently not dancing at all, but I've done ballet, jazz, modern, musical theatre and some hip hop.

If I like belly dance, I will join the troupe here in town because they perform at all the festivals and stuff and they are super great!

I don't mind spending money on dance. My main focus has always been ballet, and that is super pricey.

ReplySendWatch