Forum: Advice / Modeling & Pageantry

Modeling & Pageantry
Sunburst Pageants?
By Elia_Jay Comments: 33, member since Sun Feb 02, 2014
On Sun Feb 02, 2014 06:35 PM

I was at the mall the other day and I saw a poster for a Sunburst pageant. I had seen these in the past and thought it might be kind of fun, but I have never done a pageant before (and I'm 23), and I can't find much information online about these pageants except regarding babies/little kids, even though you can compete up to age 27.

The one at my mall is at the end of this month, and entry is only like $45. Should I check it out and try it? Any info on this circuit?

6 Replies to Sunburst Pageants?

re: Sunburst Pageants?
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Sun Feb 02, 2014 06:55 PM
Don't do it. They are known in the pageant system as a money maker and cattle call. The winner doesn't even receive the good " prize" but the person selling the most ads gets a trophy. They say they like " natural" but the fake tans seem to win, so it is all over the price.

I recommend that you do the Miss America one. The entry fee is $100, but that gets donated entirely to the charity for the. Children's. Miracle.

It is one of the " fairest" pageants around and you are judged fairly, not the person who raised the most money etc.
I think that every woman should do a beauty pageant at least once in her life. It is SUCH a good experience meeting people, installing confidence, great walking/public speaking practice etc. It has been a very valuable experience for me. Plus, the talent portion is always fun performing, which is why I recommend it over the USA system.

Stay away from Sunburst. They have a horrible reputation
On Sun Feb 02, 2014 07:06 PM
Thanks for the info!

I have always been interested in pageantry, but growing up, I was never allowed to get involved in it. My mom views it like she views cheerleading -- pretty much like the devil of activities girls can do. She doesn't really see the positives. But I'm grown now, and on my own, and I really want to do at least one pageant because they seem like a lot of fun. Plus, I've got a stunning dress that my mom bought me a year or two ago because it was on sale for only $10...and I have absolutely nowhere to wear it! (It's a full length, fully sequined sheath dress)...not exactly everyday wear ;)
On Sun Feb 02, 2014 07:47 PM
If you are 23, you need to look into a local Miss America prelim ASAP. This is the last year that you can compete for them, the cutoff is 24, so they need all the girls being 23 or younger before the State and National pageant!
I assume they have a couple more " open pageants" left, there is one more left in my state. You need to do that and win, if you want to go to the State level.
On Sun Feb 02, 2014 08:00 PM
I just checked and there is one on Feb 16 that I'm pretty sure I'm eligible for. However, I have absolutely no way of getting to it since I don't drive, and it's in the one upstate NY city that I can't take the bus to. That is extremely unfortunate :?
On Sun Feb 02, 2014 08:18 PM
Feb 16 is probably too late. Mine is In Feb, and I had the paperwork done in Dec.

Why don't you check and see if you are still able to participate by emailing the director. If you are, try to find someone to give you a ride.
The miss America organization gives awesome prizes such as scholarships for college. Depending on your state, some girls who win get free apartment, car, gas card, salary and a bunch of other perks. If it isn't too late, and you can manage to pay someone to drive you, it might be worth it just to try. This is your LAST year being able to do it before you get too old.

If anything there is the Miss USA system, but that costs thousands of dollars so I would encourage you to stay away from that, until you do a few other pageants and get experience.

Good luck in your pageant journey!
On Sun Feb 02, 2014 08:51 PM
Edited by Elia_Jay (264664) on 2014-02-02 20:54:20
That's a good thought. I don't think I have any friends that I am close enough with though to ask to drive me over an hour away and then take up their entire day. I could check out cabs, but I'm pretty sure it's $100 each way which is way too expensive!

ReplySendWatch