Forum: Irish / Irish

Fancy or simple costumes
By highrishdancer19member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Feb 03, 2014 01:03 PM

It's been almost 10 years since I was an Irish dancer -- I never did compete but I loved performing regardless!! My question to all -- who do compete, who have made it to worlds -- how important is costuming to you or when it comes to judging? Is it common to see dancers in simple costumes, and no wig? How important is it to you?

5 Replies to Fancy or simple costumes

re: Fancy or simple costumes
By tinydancer1988
On Mon Feb 03, 2014 03:00 PM
I've actually talked to a judge about this: they don't really care how elaborate your costume/makeup/hair is, as long as you look professional and put together. Meaning that even if you wear a leotard, a skirt, and natural hair, they will not hold it against you unless it's ill fitting, your hair is in your face, and you generally look like a hot-mess.

I like to have a solo costume and wear a bun wig and little makeup because when I'm in my war pain, my eyeliner wings are just right, my hair is cute, and my dress is sparkling like a rock star, I feel more confident. I feel super, unbeatable, like no one can stop me, and everyone in the room will be looking like me. So while I don't get judged on it, I might dance a little better, be a little more confident, and hold my head a little higher because I feel like a rock star.
By hummingbird
On Mon Feb 03, 2014 03:28 PM
I've always looked upon the costume as the icing on the cake, if the cake isn't up to scratch no amount of icing will hide it and no matter how fancy the costume it won't hide lack of technique. From what I saw when my own DD was competing the right dress just added confidence and gave the dancer just that little bit more stage presence. Lets face it you have to be confident to stand up in front of several hundred people and dance, I have many friends who would run a mile rather than try it.

I'm an ex ballet dancer and I know I wouldn't want to dance on stage without looking my best and in the appropriate clothing.
By highlanddncr
On Mon Feb 03, 2014 04:13 PM
I think your dancing should speak for itself. I do think showing up in inappropriate attire (not fitting, sloppy) would affect the overall "look" even if the dancing was still spectacular.

That being said, I totally enjoy the "flashy" side to Irish. Judging by your name, I'm assuming you do highland like I do :) Coming from a highland background, it is so fun to be able to wear wigs, matching earrings and (gasp) nail polish and get a little sparkly. It's just fun but I don't think anyone should feel forced to go all out if they don't want to.
By highrishdancer19member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:39 PM
Yah, I'm used to strict requirements as far as competition attire goes -- absolutely no jewelry! I do admire a lot of the dance costumes Irish dancers wear, but I have seen it over done also. But I totally agree when you look your best then it gives you that confidence boost. :)
By saoirse3473member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Feb 04, 2014 01:05 AM
Personally, I enjoy having the look. the wig and the dress; it's a lot of fun to wear! But as long as we look clean and well put together, then there's no reason to have to wear the fancy expensive dresses.

ReplySendWatch