Forum: Irish / Irish

Larger chested dancers, opinions on sports bras?
By Kirvin3member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Feb 03, 2014 04:53 PM

I wear a "regular" bra size 36-38DD (US) and I bounce like mad in most sports bras. What sports bra do you wear and where do you find them? Most bras I find that say "maximum support" don't contol bounce AT ALL. The last few I had that I liked I can't find anymore.

Thanks!

10 Replies to Larger chested dancers, opinions on sports bras?

re: Larger chested dancers, opinions on sports bras?
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Feb 03, 2014 05:37 PM
I'm a bit bigger and only wear real bras...Sports bras never offered enough support. I just wore a good quality under wire bra.

I remember Christine angliss told me she hated it when dancers wore sports bras because Irish and English dancers didn't and she felt it made for a nicer line with the dresses.

I just wore a good minimizer bra
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Feb 03, 2014 07:24 PM
I'm a bit bigger and only wear real bras...Sports bras never offered enough support. I just wore a good quality under wire bra.

I remember Christine angliss told me she hated it when dancers wore sports bras because Irish and English dancers didn't and she felt it made for a nicer line with the dresses.

I just wore a good minimizer bra
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Feb 03, 2014 07:32 PM
Something with underwire. I don't do ID, I did ballet, tap, jazz and modern. I always just wore a regular underwire bra.

I do however wear a Victoria's Secret one for other things: www.victoriassecret.com . . .
By saoirse3473member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Feb 03, 2014 08:00 PM
My (sort of masochistic) trick is to by a generic sports bra in one size smaller (because they're stretchy - I usually buy Champion brand), and then wear a well fitted regular bra underneath - the wire supports me, the slightly-too-tight sports bra contains me and keeps me from bouncing everywhere. I'm currently a 34/36 C, but for some reasons, I find even medium labeled sports bras just are too big and don't do anything to control me. I find the combination of the two works really well.
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Feb 03, 2014 08:04 PM
We have the same chest size and I swear by my Under Armour sports bra. It criss-crosses in the front (but I wear it inside out, for what I think is more support) and has a racer back. I got it from Dicks and I LOVE it. It doesn't have a cup/shape or underwire, just spandex. Sadly, they don't make them anymore. I also buy mine a size or two smaller, just to get a better grip on 'em. I have other sports bras (Champion brand) that I don't like nearly as much.
By OvertheOcean
On Mon Feb 03, 2014 09:36 PM
I am a 32G and I wear Panache's underwire sports bra - from all my research it's basically the highest rated sports bra for bigger busts. www.amazon.com . . .
It offers great support and comes in lots of colors.

I agree with Saoirse3473 though too - back when I was a DD I just wore a normal underwire padded bra with a compression sports bra over it.
By irishstep
On Tue Feb 04, 2014 09:45 AM
Enroll sports bra. A 36DDD. And it holds me in very well. I think it's the best. It's very expensive@ $64.00. I went in eBay and the are a little irregular but I bought 2 and haven't noticed anything wrong with them and they are about $15.00 cheaper. Good luck. Give this one a try. I absolutely hate feeling that I'm bouncing around.
By chevrechevalmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Feb 04, 2014 09:58 AM
Champion undewire sports bra. You can find them online and in larger sports stores. They are on the pricey side, around $40US. I am a 34D and do not have a bounce problem at all in mine. Hope you are able to find a good solution. Trying things on and doing jump switches is my preferred test method.

Title Nine also makes some serious sports bras for large chests.
By MearaKellymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Feb 04, 2014 06:53 PM
Believe it or not, I swear by Victoria's Secret's new VSX line. I'm a 34DD (kind of an awkward size) an never had good luck with regular sports bras - so much so that I started doing what others have suggested which is wear a regular underwire with a sport bra over top.The VSX Knockout is pretty much that exact thing, only without having to double layer which is uncomfortable with all the sweat. I love it cause it really does control bounce, you can change the straps to be a racer back, or regular straps and it doesn't create the dreaded "uni-boob" that a lot of sports bras do.
By HBwahinemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:15 PM
I'm a fan of Moving Comfort's "Maia" sports bra. It has an underwire and I don't bounce when I dance. (and I do running and volleyball too). Plus, it's not an over-the-head style which I don't like. The "Fiona" is a good non-underwire bra, but I feel more "secure" with a wire.
I went to a running store that had a good selection and tried everything in my size and jumped around in the dressing room in each one. I bought the Maia full-price and ended up getting a few more for less money on ebay.

ReplySendWatch