Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Beginners

First Ballet Class, Went Quite Well!
By lamonasta
On Tue Feb 04, 2014 04:03 AM

I just got back from my first ballet class! :D

I'm in with girls of my own age (14-15) and there were a few beginners out of the 10-ish people there. One of my school friends is in my class, so at least I wasn't all alone! :)

We started with stretches and then did barre work (plies, tendus, piques, releves and rond de jambes). I was finding it really hard to point my feet in the tendus, and my shoes kept slipping a bit so I think they may be too big :( (I think I may be between sizes as I wear a 6, but the 5.5's were too small.)

Unfortunately, I now have a hole in my tights on the back of my right calf, just under the knee. :( I managed to seal it with clear nail polish, not quite sure what to do now though.

It was a bit hard to keep up and remember some of the exercises, but my next class is on Friday so I hope we do them again!

(As a side note, does anyone know how to fix a hole in tights? Or if there are any threads dealing with that?)

The studio seems really nice, so I hope I'll be happy there! :D

5 Replies to First Ballet Class, Went Quite Well!

re: First Ballet Class, Went Quite Well!
By ThereWillBeLight
On Thu Feb 13, 2014 01:51 AM
I'm so glad you enjoyed your class! I just started a few months ago, so I know the feeling very well. I use hairspray or clear nail polish for holes in tights- okay, I actually typically use both, just to be sure, but I highly doubt both are actually necessary. :P
By lamonasta
On Fri Feb 14, 2014 06:20 AM
Thank you, ThereWillBeLight! The classes are difficult but I'm going to stick at it because I'm having so much fun!
By smartytartymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Feb 21, 2014 02:15 PM
Great for you! I remember my first ballet class- it was so exciting! As with holes in tights, I used to sew them up, but that just made them run more (if the needle holes were too big). Clear nail polish was good on your part. I'd say just let it be, and designate those as your "ballet class tights!"
By DDS
On Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:37 AM
Well Done! Its hard to start in your teens and takes a hard worker to do so. Tights are not repairable, but when they get to filled with holes, try cutting the legs part into loops about 1 inch thick. They make great hair bands!
You can also get some ballet books to help you remember the steps. I love Classical Ballet Technique by Gretchen Ward Warren. It has lots of pictures and step by step picture tutorial to help you learn how to perform each step.
Lastly, you might want to try another brand of ballet slipper. Each companies shoes fit a little different. You might get a better fit that way.
Good luck!
By lamonasta
On Sat Mar 08, 2014 05:09 AM
Thank you all so much! Thankfully my wonderful mother bought another pair of tights, so I'm reserving the original holey tights for emergencies :) As for the slippers, I think the problem may be due to the fact that I have rather long big toes, so the gap between m big toe and the one next to it leaves a lot of loose leather. I'm saving up for another pair of slippers, but I'm aiming to get as much use out of the current ones as possible. My sister lent me her old ballet book, "The Young Dancer" by Darcey Bussell and the Royal Ballet School which has helped immensely in terms of memorising combinations. Thank you for your kind advice! :D
By gabbyballet
On Sat Jun 16, 2018 01:59 AM
I don't remember my first ballet class. I was 3. I'm such a veteran XD. Anyway, you CAN'T FIX TIGHTS. You just gotta buy a new pair once they rip. Clear nail polish doesn't really work, plus it takes too long compared to just spending $15-20 on a new pair.

ReplySendWatch