Forum: General / Ballroom / Latin

Latin
Breath in dance and Yoga?
By ayy1986 Comments: 1, member since Thu Feb 06, 2014
On Thu Feb 06, 2014 04:27 AM

Hello! I'm learning Yoga, and I have a trouble about using breathing method of Yoga in all activity of life (dance).
Before learing Yoga, I'm a dancer (learning dance sports). In dance sport, I must use abs in order to doing technique in dance sports. Before I'm learning Yoga, I don't mind about breath and no trouble. But after learning Yoga, I'm minding breath and abs, and I have trouble in breath (In Dancing).

"belly bulge inhale, exhale outbreaks" ... But in dancing, I must use abs very much, and may in quickly speed. This make I'm disorders. Because I can not breath quickly, and If I breath normal, in sometime, I must inhale while sunken abdomen (no belly bulge). Result is I'm out of breath in about 2 minutes.

I asked my teacher about this trouble, and he answer that don't mind threath, doing it naturely. I understand my teacher's answer, because in dancing, don't allowed us to mind threath. But I'm learning Yoga, and habit in Yoga making influence to me in dancing.

What should I do? I must give up Yoga (because I can not give up Dance soprt)?
Hope to receive a reply!
ayy1986!

1 Replies to Breath in dance and Yoga?

re: Breath in dance and Yoga?
By hummingbird Comments: 10413, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Thu Feb 06, 2014 06:47 AM
Have you thought about doing Pilates instead, the breathing patterns are much more similar to the patterns used in dance?

Having said that there are quite a few very experienced Yoga practitioners on this site, I'm sure they could help you with your Yoga breathing.

ReplySendWatch