Forum: General / Modern / Modern Dance - General

Modern Dance - General
eye catching easy modern moves
By joanemitch Comments: 2, member since Thu Feb 06, 2014
On Fri Feb 07, 2014 06:27 AM

I'm auditioning to be a military officer for my dance team.I have to choerograph my own ensemble. I'm choregraphing a jazzy modern and need some eye catching and easy modern dance moves.

1 Replies to eye catching easy modern moves

re: eye catching easy modern moves
By Qwiksylver Comments: 182, member since Tue Jan 06, 2004
On Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:28 PM
What usually makes a move eye catching is not its complexity - but how it is performed, and the context it is performed in. If you just try to show tricks, you normally won't get very far because everyone on your team can do that. What is better is to take what you know, even if it is simple, and find ways to manipulate the movement so that it is done differently than normal, and so that it fits the context of your piece. While there are whole books written, and courses taught, on this subject, your best bet is to go into the studio and start playing. Add in accents or suspensions where there aren't usually any. Change the time, space, or energy of your movements, etc.

I haven't been on here in quite some time, but there used to be a sticky on choreography basics. I would glance through that for some ideas (I'm guessing it is still there).

ReplySendWatch