Forum: Adults / Work/Employment

Work/Employment
How many of you are struggling to find a job?
By IrishLizzymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3559, member since Wed Jul 28, 2004
On Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:31 PM

I'm 24 and unemployed. I've lost count of how many jobs I've applied to. Everything from retail to grocery store cashier to office jobs. I have only heard back from one, I had an interview at a veterinary office and it went well but they wanted someone with more experience.

I know I can't be the only one in this situation.

Let's use this thread as a type of support group for everyone trying to find work; feel free to vent or offer advice :)

8 Replies to How many of you are struggling to find a job?

re: How many of you are struggling to find a job?
By Teamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1321, member since Mon Apr 14, 2008
On Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:55 PM
You are definitely not alone in the unemployment boat. I was (wrongfully) terminated from my job in December and haven't been able to find anything that's actual employment (not contract work) at all. Thank goodness that I live with my boyfriend and he's able to cover what I can't, and that I had a good chunk of change in savings when it happened or I would seriously be struggling.

I kind of enjoyed not being employed for the first month or so, but now I'm irritated and bored. At the very least, I am pursuing a second BA so I have classwork to keep myself busy but it's so weird not having to be anywhere all day.
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Fri Feb 07, 2014 01:05 PM
I'm 26, been out of work almost a year, with a master's degree to pay off :/. I've applied to about 500 jobs I would guess with about 40 interviews. It seems I'm too educated without enough professional experience despite my 4 internships and a job working on a presidential campaign. For awhile a few of us on DDN (mostly me) were chronically our job searches on a VCD Thread but it kind of fizzled out. I feel your pain for sure. I thought there would be more openings after the new year but I haven't found that at all so far. The most interviews I got last yEAR were from may to september. I was laid off last March, my unemployment benefits ran out in September and I moved home at the end of October (move being facilitated by my roommate getting a job out of state). I feel your pain :(
By Teamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1321, member since Mon Apr 14, 2008
On Fri Feb 07, 2014 01:55 PM
I forgot to include that I'm 28 (was terminated the day before my birthday -- thanks for that) so I'm also plagued with "supposed to have your act together by now" guilt. Yay. :)
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Fri Feb 07, 2014 03:11 PM
It's not quite the same, but--my husband graduated in December 2010 and we're still waiting on him finally grabbing hold of a full time job.

He's lucked into a field that he absolutely loves, but it moves incredibly slow (it's part of city government). He applied for the job in June 2012 and didn't get a call back until January 2013. He was super part-time and jumping all over the city from April until about October, when he was hired on part-time at one location. Now he has to wait six months to finish his "probationary" period (even though he worked for six months before that!!!) until he can apply for full-time posititons. And then after he applies, of course, it takes months for them to interview, make a decision, go through the hiring process, etc. It's just...arggghhh. Once he actually IS full time, he'll have all the perks of being a city employee, including protected civil servant status, as well as a pension. Not to mention it is incredibly expensive for both of us to be on my medical insurance--we're currently paying an amount that's almost equal to our rent. Getting him on his own plan alone would be huge for us. So we keep waiting. And waiting. And waiting...

It's hard out there for everyone. Please don't feel bad if you're getting rejections right and left--because it most likely isn't you. The job market just sucks in general. I hate the lie that jobs are just out there for the taking, because it makes you feel like an utter failure. I promise that's not true, and anybody who says so is a grade-A jerk.
By Claritinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2100, member since Tue Aug 30, 2005
On Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:05 AM
You're definitely not alone.

I'm 24 (25 next month) and I got my degree in May 2011. Since then, I've applied for countless jobs. I managed to get hired at retail places for the last three holiday seasons but was let go at the end of the season twice and found nothing else in the 9 months in between each season. This year, I was finally offered a permanent position. I still really want/need a full-time job, but right now I am so incredibly grateful to even have something current to put on my resume and a little bit of money coming in.

It's so hard when everyone wants experience that you just don't have and can't get if no one will give you a chance. Hang in there. I know it's rough :(
By IrishLizzymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3559, member since Wed Jul 28, 2004
On Mon Mar 03, 2014 08:48 AM
I'm having a bit of a melt down right now. There is nothing out there. I feel hopeless.

I thought I had a possible job as a nanny, but there hasn't been any mention of it lately. It would be for my neighbor, it's kind of a complicated situation, but if it does happen it won't be for a quite a while (maybe months). I don't know how much longer I can wait. It would have been perfect though.

I'm so frustrated.
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Mon Mar 03, 2014 09:22 AM
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2014-03-03 09:25:27
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2014-03-03 09:29:47
Have you tried Care.com for nanny jobs? I was in a bit of a rut during college and I had a bunch of offers once I set up my profile on care.com the right way. I didn't get an offers to meet and discuss, until I added these things into the profile. Remember to first meet in a public place.

To get a good profile on there, you should
1. Talk about your higher education accomplishments or goals.
2. CPR and first aid certified.
2.5 Talk about whether or not you speak a foreign language. For my jobs, I offered to teach the children a foreign language and also give piano and ballet lessons. Do you have a hobby that you can teach and share with the kids? Drawing, singing,dancing? Etc
3. Your experience with kids, did you help out at your dance studio or a summer camp?
4. Clean driving record and no arrest records.
There is a feature where people can ask you for a background check and write it into your profile that you have no issues getting a background check or fingerprinted.
5. Have a clean cut photo of you with natural makeup.
6. Offer to give them a free trial day for 4 hours.

Get back to them within 24 hours if they email you.
Really work on your profile and write about yourself. There is also a feature where you can contact job listings based on your zipcode.
By smileywomanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11032, member since Sat Sep 17, 2005
On Tue Mar 11, 2014 09:06 AM
Part of the challenge is the economy because SO many are unemployed or underemployed. There are HUNDREDS of people applying to each position. It favors the employer, but not the employee. I was looking at salaries and they declined over the last few years in many areas because employers could afford to offer lower salary knowing they could easily fill their positions.

I'm at a high professional level with 20+ years experience and it took me daily searching thru various avenues to land a job after 6 months effort (self employed thru my own small business for the last 18 months...wanted to get back into the workforce).

Contrast my middle step-daughter who is 29. She just finished her Master's (not much experience in the field she wishes to be employed in) and has applied for numerous jobs and never hears back. She's working in an after school program to pay the bills, but very frustrated.

Ultimately, what I advise is to frame your resume specifically to the job you are applying. Consider taking a lower level job to get your foot in the door of a company where you wish to work/or to get into an area you wish to work. Also, consider temping if you have office skills and/or contact a recruiter to help you land a job that's not otherwise advertised publicly.

Hang in there. *hugs*

ReplySendWatch