Forum: Adults / 30 Something

30 Something
Religious retreats-helping others with disabilities, join clubs when working full time?
By Dancecutie38 Comments: 442, member since Sun Jan 18, 2004
On Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:23 AM

Hello all,

Hope someone can help me! Well, I just got a full time job and not to sound that i want to move my life faster or anything, I am only 24 and know i have a long life to live! Well, I wanted to know is it possible to work full time and (I have no kids or no boyfriend) so pretty much flying solo now, but being young and the happy go person I am, lover of life I want to experience as much as I can and experience different experiences and have different opportunities) and join a retreat group or does anyone know of any group that specializes in helping disabled people? I hope I am not dreaming but I would love to on weekends help disabled people and almost like go to a camp and help them, i hope this makes any sense. if It doesn't feel free to ask and I can re explain it. I know there is not camp that only operates on the weekends. I work full time in the summer too (have to work full time) so I Just dont know if I can do what I want to do or find what I am looking for.I would like to find a group that helps disabled people, takes them to different events, goes on retreats,etc. I mean is it possible to take a two week vacation when the times comes from my job and go during that time to a camp lets say, if its offered? I hope to find find a group with younger kids my age too.

I have heard of meetme.com but have not seen anything that fits what I am looking for. I truly hope someone can help me, and if you want to move this post to a different board that I would receive more responses, feel free!

Thanks,

Erin

8 Replies to Religious retreats-helping others with disabilities, join clubs when working full time?

re: Religious retreats-helping others with disabilities, join clubs when working full time?
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Sat Feb 08, 2014 01:12 PM
Do you like kids? Look into Camp Sunshine. They have camps for kids with different afflictions such as diabetes, cancer etc. I know a couple of people from my college who have volunteered at these camps. They are usually long weekends. I don't know if they are located all over the country or just in New England though.
re: Religious retreats-helping others with disabilities, join clubs when working full time?
On Sun Feb 09, 2014 07:08 AM
i do like kids, i mean i think i would prefer to work with younger adults and younger generation. Ya, ill have to look into that- I live in WI so not sure if i could find something like that or even if ill stay in WI the rest of my life. I also didnt add up there before but I am interested in going on a mission trip somewhere- may it be in the USA or outside. Now, can I still do that working a full time job? I mean id love to take a two week vacation and do SOMETHING along those lines- retreat/camp/mission trip ... not all the time but i am not sure whenever one comes available. Its on my bucket list! :)
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:59 AM
Edited by Theresa (28613) on 2014-02-10 12:22:45
. I mean is it possible to take a two week vacation when the times comes from my job and go during that time to a camp lets say, if its offered?

No. It's not. If you even get a job where you score two weeks vacation, you'll only get two weeks. You can't just willy nilly take two weeks off at a time from a full time job, and expect to keep the job very long.

If working with adults with disabilities is a big goal for you, then you need to find yourself a job that allows you to do that full time. As it is, your post reads very dreamer-y. You want to work a job full time, and then have a second job on the weekends, where you get to do camps, and retreats, and go to do different events with people with disabilities. If this is your giant passion, then go pursue it. If it isn't, and you're just spitballing ideas, then this might be one to let go.
By lildancergirl22 Comments: 320, member since Mon Mar 01, 2004
On Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:06 AM
Have you looked into working at a group home for adults with disabilities?

I have a friend that works in a home that offers respite care for adults with physical and developmental disabilities. It's a challenging job physically and emotionally, but over the years she has come to form a bond with a lot of the regular guests. She usually only works weekend as she is still in school, but as she is there on weekends, she has the opportunity to be involved with the "fun stuff" - trips to the local Santa Clause parade, swimming, movies or theater productions.
On Wed Feb 12, 2014 05:13 PM
HI all,

Thanks for the advice but i have a couple other things..

Yes, I am looking at non-profits and how I can help out with those somehow.

Theresa: I think you misunderstood me, when you said" No. It's not. If you even get a job where you score two weeks vacation, you'll only get two weeks. You can't just willy nilly take two weeks off at a time from a full time job, and expect to keep the job very long."

Well I meant at any job, and I know I am entitled at the job I am currently at..you are allowed 2 weeks vacations to go anywhere right? Well, i am saying if I find something (not saying I am going to hop on right now!) like a retreat during a span of a week or two weeks I can take my vacation from work so I can go on that retreat.. get what I am saying?

I was NOT saying just randomly take two weeks off and skip work and go, no not at all- I would lose my job then! haha

Thanks!

Erin
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6414, member since Sat May 15, 2004
On Wed Feb 12, 2014 05:25 PM
Have you considered volunteering with the Best Buddies program or something similar? I think they might have some adult programs available.
On Wed Feb 12, 2014 05:34 PM
I briefly looked at their website and it looks like as an individuals i would take some kid along to certain places and stuff and not that I dont like kids but I am mainly looking to work as a team- a place where I can meet new ppl, make new friends and help others!
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6414, member since Sat May 15, 2004
On Wed Feb 12, 2014 05:56 PM
If that's the case, then I think it is best you find a full time job that fulfills these for you. Jobs like this exist!

ReplySendWatch