Forum: Adults / 40 Something

40 Something
Life never married and have no kids..lonely?
By Dancecutie38 Comments: 442, member since Sun Jan 18, 2004
On Sun Feb 09, 2014 06:50 AM

Hi everyone,

I am not sure if this is the right board to post this on, but if its wrong feel free to move to a different board that I would get more responses! I am only 24 but seeing my generation and not as many couples are even getting married OR having kids.. I just thought I would post on here and ask if there is anyone out there that isnt married and does not have/want kids. I am just curious to know, do you feel lonely/depressed- how do you live your life? i hope you don't mind me asking! Id love for you to share your stories.

Thank,

Erin

2 Replies to Life never married and have no kids..lonely?

re: Life never married and have no kids..lonely?
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Mon Feb 10, 2014 09:09 AM
My sister is 27, and is single, and has no kids, and has plenty to do.

She teaches high school, which takes up a fair amount of time, and my little nephew lives near her, so she watches him when she gets the chance, and whenever we're visiting, she LOVES getting to do stuff with my seven year old, and she's got friends that have kids that she hangs with, and she's obsessed with the Tennessee Titans, and fantasy football which take up a lot of time in the fall, and she's got lots of stuff to do.

My boss at the dance studio I work for also has no kids, and is in her 40's now. Her day gets filled, pretty similarly to my sisters. She's got inlaws with kids that she hangs out with whenever she gets a chance, and she's busy at the studio, and shes got friends with kids, and when she's got some free time, her long time boyfriend owns a bar, so she picks up a few hours here and there working for him, and she fills her day.

Thinking in such a limited scope - that the ONLY possible way you could fill your day is with a husband and a gaggle of kids - is just bound to set yourself up for disappointment. What if you never get married? What if you can't have kids? What if your partner can't have kids? Have you failed as a human being? Of course you haven't. You fill your life with other things.
re: Life never married and have no kids..lonely?
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 634, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:50 AM
Edited by Sarahdncr (214611) on 2014-02-16 00:54:54
Edited by Sarahdncr (214611) on 2014-02-16 00:59:38
Me! Me!! Me!!! I am better than half way to 48, never married, and no kiddo's either. I was the kind of brainy type in high school, and just had little interest nor time for dating (involved with tons of extracurricular activities, though funny enough--not dance). That continued all the same way through Uni. Though there was some boy interest in college, again, not a lot of time to do it right.

Due to the US economy tanking right when I was graduating from college in the late 1980's, I did what any sensible single educated gal would do who needed a job upon graduation from Uni----I joined the Forces.

And hence, I have consentrated on making the Forces my career ever since. I am though very much a career woman, and a leader in my field. Unfortunatly though, with me, work has always come first and that left little time for dating/dating games, and I much preferred to spend my down/"me" time being involved in activities most gals would not really get into. So again the men have gone lacking in my life.

I am retiring from the Forces at the end of this year, and it truly has been a very good life for me working for them. It has made me financially stable, given me great work opportunities and challenges in my field (I am a specialized construction engineer), I have litterly traveled all over the world, they paid for all my advanced education, and I have a retirement package that most would envy.

So am I lonely?....Yes, sometimes.....Depressed about it?....I don't think so. I have my hobbies that keep me very busy and active (dance, public safety work, and I am doing more with my photography). I have a number of gal pals and we socialize frequently. I have family back home still including nieces and nephews--two of which I have put through school.

Once retired I will go to work for someone, doing God knows what but something to keep myself occupied, but it will be on my terms this around. I intend to do more with staying in shape (would like to start swimming) and keeping being active, and traveling even more--but now having the time to do it right.

Keeping active, both mentally & physically is the best advice I can give anybody who is living alone.

ReplySendWatch