Forum: Arts / Diaries

The World Spins Madly On
By Firebirdmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Feb 09, 2014 09:50 PM
Edited by Firebird (122430) on 2014-02-09 21:50:57

Hi, Diaryland :) I've never had a DDN diary before, but lately I've been feeling like I just want a place to jot down random thoughts/goals, and since I'm always browsing DDN randomly throughout the day, I thought this seemed like a decent place. (Title is from a song by The Weepies)

Quick background: I'm 21, in my final semester of college (now < 100 days until graduation - crazy!). I did very intensive ballet training before college. Now I take one ballet class/week (outside of school), and I dance with the main student dance organization on campus. I've also gotten pretty into aerial silks this past year (and a tiny bit of lyra/trapeze).

The next few weeks are going to be pretty crazy, because I'm basically flying all over the country for various grad school visits (PhD programs). I'm really excited one one hand; on the other hand, it's a little tricky negotiating missed classes, etc. But this is a kind of a huge life decision, so ultimately I think it'll be worth it :P

I'm also thinking of using my diary to try to be a little more accountable to my health/fitness goals...mostly in that while the main meals I eat are pretty healthy, I end up eating all this random other stuff throughout the day, sometimes without even realizing it. So I'm trying to stop that...also, I have a few specific fitness things I want to work on as well.

Plans for the rest of the night (well, the next hour or so before I go to bed...when did it get so late?) involve sending a few emails, maybe starting a homework assignment. Also, I desperately need to make a haircut appointment tomorrow. Yes. So I will do that in the morning.

4 Replies to The World Spins Madly On

re: The World Spins Madly On
On Mon Feb 10, 2014 06:46 PM
Closing in on Monday...thank goodness. Nothing particularly bad happened today, but Mondays always just seem so long and blah.

Woke up and went to class for 2 hours. Had lunch after that, then worked for a couple hours on a project before meeting up with my group to discuss said project. I was ridiculously sleepy during that whole time, but I didn't really feel like spending the money/consuming that much caffeine/leaving the engineering library to go up a floor and buy coffee.

Then I met my group...this whole class is just driving me crazy. It's a grad class in a department that's not my open, and it's way different/harder than I thought. There's this group project that's about 50% of the grade. We have our first presentation on Thursday and my group just does NOT get how much we need to have done by then. It's so stupid and stressful because I have no reason to be taking this class, other than to remain a full-time student. I reallllllly wish I had taken something else, but for various reasons there's nothing I can do now. Oh well. I'm trying to to stress about it too much.

After the meeting, I took care of some miscellaneous errands and then went home. Did some dishes, had dinner, then went to silks class. Now I'm just chilling at work (tutoring, but no one's here right now). Made attempts earlier to book a haircut, but no one answered the phone, so that's kind of going to have to get put off until next week, I think.

On the plus side, did well sticking to what I planned to eat today and not adding in random junk. My only workout today was silks, but that was good too.
Spoiler: Show

Breakfast: kale with poached egg, chicken sausage, black coffee
Lunch: cucumber, sugar snap peas, olives, roast beef with avocado
Snack: tea and a couple slices of Trader Joe's artisan salami
Dinner: leftover pulled pork and brussels sprouts
Snack: dinner was early and kind of small, so I grabbed 2 dates and a small pack of roasted almonds to have at work
On Tue Feb 11, 2014 09:38 PM
Not much too report today, but I'll update anyway. Went to class for 3 hours in the morning/early afternoon. I managed to pay much better attention in my second class (the one I'm really not a fan of) than I have in the last few weeks, so that was good.

After that, I had lunch. Then I went to do my senior portraits - basically, it's free to have the pictures taken, but if you actually want any copies you have to pay outrageous prices. They also put one in the yearbook (that no one really buys) for free. Originally, I wasn't going to bother, but both my boyfriend and my roommate did it, so I figured why not? If the pictures actually turn out well (I'm so not photogenic. At all.), then maybe my parents will want to buy some. I just didn't want to regret not having that option, because I don't think there are any opportunities for professional photos at graduation, really.

After that I had a lab meeting, then I went home, where I suddenly had a bunch of emails about grad school stuff. Good stuff, but I wasn't sure how to respond, so I just kind of hid from my inbox for a while :P I took a quick nap, and then I went to my friend's apartment and watched TV for a little bit. We had a bunch of tortilla chips and some chocolate which wasn't really part of my plan.

Anyway, then I did some HW, ate dinner, went to a dance rehearsal, and now it's more HW until I go to bed. Tomorrow's super busy and then I leave for my first grad school visit on Thursday (!), so I have to prepare for that also.

Today's menu:
Spoiler: Show

Breakfast: kale and poached egg, chicken sausage, coffee with 1 tbsp half and half...then more coffee in class :P
Lunch: cucumber, sugar snap peas, olives, roast beef and avocado
Snack: salami, a few dried apricots, chips/guac, and chocolate...whoops
Dinner: roasted cauliflower, pork adobo

Also threw in some push-ups in the afternoon.
On Mon Feb 17, 2014 06:54 PM
Edited by Firebird (122430) on 2014-02-17 18:55:21
Oops, slacking off on updating already :P Things got crazy at the end of last week, but in a good way. I got into the top 2 schools for math/science-y things in the US, one on Thursday, and one on Friday. Totally unexpected, but also totally awesome :)

I was supposed to go on my first grad school visit over the weekend, but my flights got cancelled due to the terrible weather on the east coast :( So, I had to reschedule, making my crazy travel schedule over the next couple weeks that much crazier. Fortunately, Delta refunded my flight, which was good because even though the schools pay for me to come visit, I don't think they would have reimbursed for a flight I didn't actually take :P

Sooo, just trying to get ahead on my work and stuff for now. I actually don't have that much; it's just that a lot of it is group project stuff, so I feel bad about abandoning my groups. I'm trying to do what I can in advance to make up for it.

Went to silks class tonight and worked on a little routine, which is fun. They've been shifting around the curriculum and levels, so I can now take the next level class if I want, which I definitely do - unfortunately, it's on Thursdays, and I won't be around on a Thursday for like 5 weeks. So when I get back, I guess.
On Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:25 PM
Eek, totally been slacking on this thing! I guess my main excuse is that after the last time I posted, I went on a crazy whirlwind of grad school visits for about 3 weeks. It was an incredible amount of traveling, which did get kind of tiring, but overall it was a lot of fun, and very informative. I actually just officially committed to a school this week (!!) - hasn't totally sunk in yet, but it was my top choice and I'm really excited! I've been kind of slowly telling people - my family, bf, best friend, roommate, and a few other people all know...still need to tell some others.

I finallllly went back to ballet last week after missing a bunch of classes, mostly due to travel. Silks was easier to keep up with just because there are more classes per week, whereas ballet is once a week.

Other than that, not much going on...I'm definitely ready to finish up with my undergrad and graduate. The classes I'm taking right now are pretty far from my core interests, so I feel like I'm kind of just dragging along. Still waiting on a fellowship notification for grad school, so that's also been making time pass by a little slower ;)

ReplySendWatch