Forum: Advice / Strengthening

Strengthening
Developpes over 90 degrees?
By ModernDancerHere Comments: 11, member since Sat Nov 30, 2013
On Mon Feb 10, 2014 09:34 AM

Try as I may, my developpes refuse to grow higher. My right leg is barely above 90, and my left leg is barely to 90. Mind you all, I have been dancing for 11 years, so it's strange to me why I can't get them higher. I have my over splits, and I do my developpes every day, but I'm seeing no improvement. Does anyone have an idea as to why I can't get them higher?

5 Replies to Developpes over 90 degrees?

re: Developpes over 90 degrees?
By SDRdirector Comments: 8, member since Mon Aug 26, 2013
On Fri Apr 04, 2014 09:36 AM
Hello!

I have students who have the SAME problem as you do. I have three suggestions because it sounds like you are focusing too much on developpes. You need to do other things as well because it will help those muscles that much more.

(1) Fondus. Start by doing a fondu par terre, then do a fondu to 45 degrees, then a fondu to 90 degrees, and on the last one try to pull up with your thigh as high as you can. Make sure you are engaging all of your muscles and turning out to develop the strength of all muscles.

(2)Adagios. In your adagios developpe to the front and hold for atleast 8 counts, carry to the side and back holding the same amount of time.

(3) Grand Battements. I like to have my students do two battements flat foot (each two counts) then two battements on eleve (each two counts). Then we do four quickly at one count each on the last one hold it suspended in the air.

Hope this helps!
~E
On Fri Apr 04, 2014 03:49 PM
Thanks! I'll try doing those exercises!
By hummingbird Comments: 10419, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Fri Apr 04, 2014 09:39 PM
If you're already flexible and you just can't hold the extensions then none of those exercises will help as all they really work for is more flexibility and if you can't get your leg to stay over 90 degrees for other stuff how are you going to get it to stay there for any of those exercises?

If what you're saying is true then it's ab strength you need, your abs are your control in high extensions, not your hamstrings.
On Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:57 PM
Yes, that's true too. I also have bad alignment in my hips, could that also be a factor?
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Wed Apr 09, 2014 03:37 AM
A 2-count grand battement is properly called a releve lent. Battement is a kick - releve is a controlled lift. But I agree they're very helpful. Also, get some LIGHT (like .5-1 lbs) ankle weights. And obviously NEVER NEVER NEVER kick with them on. Only developpe and relelve lent. You'll notice an improvement almost immediately.

ReplySendWatch