Forum: Advice / Pilates/Yoga

Pilates/Yoga
Standing bow with a straight leg?
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Sun Feb 16, 2014 09:49 PM
Edited by majere (186163) on 2014-02-16 22:02:15

I guess I could post in the stretching section, but...

So, I see pictures of people doing standing bow and their leg that is in the air is straight. How do you do that? I have my splits. I have a flexible strong back.

Currently I'm grabbing on my shin instead of my foot or ankle and the only thing I can think of that is holding me back is my supporting leg. I'm trying so hard to not lock it back or hyper-extend it I lose my balance. I feel like I would balance better if let my knee do what it wants. But since my teacher is always like "micro-bend your knee" I'm not sure what exactly my knees are doing and if I'm maybe bending too much?

I'd post a picture but I'm super sore today. I might post one in the next few days.

EDIT: I just tried to take a picture of how my leg is when standing with all my weight on it and pulling up, and man, you can really see how messed up my knees are. This is a pretty much straight shot at the side of my leg:

Image hotlink - 'http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/majere_photos/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-02/5350F40A-340C-463D-9BC5-EE6D17EF37D5_zpsoj31n7bf.jpg'

My knees don't face forward, they kind of go in toward each other when my feet are parallel. So my feet have to turn out a bit for my knees to face forward. Which is why I had trouble with modern dance.

3 Replies to Standing bow with a straight leg?

re: Standing bow with a straight leg?
By hummingbird Comments: 10419, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Fri Dec 12, 2014 09:47 AM
Edited by hummingbird (128773) on 2014-12-12 09:55:21
It's really difficult to tell from the picture you've taken what's going on however I'm going to make a guess that you have sway back or hyperextended knees and when you lock back your knees (which you really shouldn't do) the knee caps will turn inwards as the leg bends backwards. If you could take a picture with both legs on the floor and I could see your feet, knees (knees and ankles would have to be uncovered) and pelvis from the side I could tell you if my guess was right.

I think your instructor is telling to to not lock back by giving you the cue to micro bend, your knees will feel like they're bending to you.

I forgot to answer your first question, standing bow would need longer quads to be able to get the leg straight rather than bent, not to mention lower back mobility and strength and abdominal control, the last two go hand in hand as the transversus abdonimus will do the majority of the stabilizing.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:13 AM
I totally forgot I made this post!

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it. :)

Lately my balance on these one leg poses have been really wonky. I've been falling out of poses more often :/ Probably just need to pull up out of my hip and tighten my core.
By hummingbird Comments: 10419, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Fri Dec 12, 2014 03:12 PM
Lol, it was made a long time ago wasn't it? I didn't look until just now.

ReplySendWatch