Forum: Folk / Polynesian Dance

Polynesian Dance
HELP! How do I keep my hipband from sliding around while wearing a pareo?
By Vietnamazing Comments: 6, member since Mon Feb 17, 2014
On Mon Feb 17, 2014 06:06 PM

Hi! New here! Been a lurker for a very long time, and now am really excited to start interacting with all of you!

My dance troupe is having a performance and the costume we were given is a hipband with beautiful feathers on it. We were asked to wear it over a short pareo with a knot on the side. Unfortunately this hipband is sliding all over the place each time I fa'arapu. I have put some 'non-slip' type stuff (used for mats on tatami) on it as a buffer between the pareo and hipband, but it's still moving around a lot.

Do you have any helpful suggestions for me? I looked around on the site and couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

Many thanks!

4 Replies to HELP! How do I keep my hipband from sliding around while wearing a pareo?

re: HELP! How do I keep my hipband from sliding around while wearing a pareo?
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7921, member since Thu Mar 31, 2005
On Wed Feb 19, 2014 05:34 PM
Can you put the hei directly on your skin and tie the pareo UNDER that? I don't know if that would work with the material your hei is made of, though, so let me know!
On Wed Feb 19, 2014 07:02 PM
Thank you so much for your reply! I asked my dance teacher, and she apparently wants the belt directly on top of the pareo and the knot is sort of above it. My hei's material on the inside is a hard cloth, I believe it's weaved in rafia, with feathers around it, then cloth on the inside to be more comfortable?

To be more specific, the belt doesn't move UP my body, but rather, it moves sideways? like one edge ends up in front? Does that make sense? There seems to be a lot of extra space between the belt and my pareo too. Should the belt be lower maybe?
re: HELP! How do I keep my hipband from sliding around while wearing a pareo? (karma: 1)
By ohanaPremium member Comments: 129, member since Mon Nov 26, 2007
On Wed Mar 05, 2014 01:40 PM
Hi, it's been a while that I've visited this site. :)

Maybe experiment with safety pins to make it secure. I know a few of our hip hei needs pins to keep from sliding off. Good luck!
On Sun Mar 09, 2014 07:53 PM
Great! Thanks everyone! I did my performance and used the non-slip stuff we use for floor mats on the inside of the hip belt. I also pined it to the pareo itself just in case and it worked great! thanks for all your replies and help! It was a good performance!

ReplySendWatch