Forum: General / Homework Help

Homework Help
Chicago Citations. Please help.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Mon Feb 17, 2014 08:19 PM
Edited by majere (186163) on 2014-02-17 21:22:00
Locked by majere (186163) on 2014-02-25 23:37:57 Over

I'm just so confused right now. One of my professor is letting us fix one of our assignments because most of the class got the citations wrong. Which is good that we get to fix it but terrible because I probably made the same mistakes on my other papers (for the same class and two others).

He said it was my URLs and posted a generic thing for the whole class (something about only use stable links, he doesn't require doi's and to not include a link if it is not stable. And you don't have to list which database...). It is all stuff I got off of a database. I didn't list any url's or doi's, I copied the citation that the database gave and tried to verify that it was correct.

In undergrad we did MLA and I seriously have a copy of the Chicago Style Manual right next to me... I very briefly learned Chicago for a week in 2008 and this manual is messing with my head.

Know of any explanatory videos or websites?

If it is easier, can someone PM me?

I don't know what I did wrong and he won't tell us.

EDIT: One of my other classes...the same thing happened. Only 4 students got it right. The other 20 of us have until Sunday to fix it.

7 Replies to Chicago Citations. Please help.

re: Chicago Citations. Please help.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:31 PM
*headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk*

To add to my confusion, I dug out my old flash drive and found a theology paper that I had written back in the day using Chicago. Now I am more confused. I don't see much of a difference.

Also, I'm getting conflicting information from my professors. One of them said the Bibliography is single spaced (the citation itself) and there should be a line between entries. My other one seemed to have implied the whole thing is double spaced since it is part of the manuscript. One requests author-date and the other one footnotes.

I'm going crazy here.
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:37 AM
If I were you, I'd print out both emails and a page from the official website and staple them to my paper. Clearly, this 'standardized' method isn't as standardized as it should be. I only used Chicago once and in text citations have been author-date(the rest has all been Harvard or APA).

For citations I tend to use auto-cite sites (lol) to take the headache out of citing. I've always done author-date and never footnotes - I've been explicitly told to never use footnotes unless instructed to do so and I've written both political and scientific essays.

Site I use: www.citethisforme.com
Ran into no problems at all with citation using this site.

Released by the University of Melbourne:
www.lib.unimelb.edu.au . . .

My uni says that footnote referencing is Oxford style:
www.lc.unsw.edu.au . . .

Official website: www.chicagomanualofstyle.org . . .

Bibliographies aren't double spaced and are not part of your body of work...It wouldn't make much sense if they were. I usually leave a line between each reference. I'd use the auto-cite website first if I were you and then compare them to ones you already did to see if there are any differences.
By LingScot Comments: 1040, member since Sat Apr 09, 2005
On Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:45 AM
Oh, dear. I'm not going to get in to why this kind of thing is utterly ridiculous, but oy vey! References [b]should[\b] be about including relevant information and doing so in a legible, consistent manner, not forcing people to jump through arbitrary hoops. At the same time, it certainly is useful to know how to jump through said hoops, because publishers will make similar requirements (often with their own individual style preferences, just to add to your fun!).

Anyway...

There are two different choices for basic Chicago style, as described on their website (www.chicagomanualofstyle.org . . .). Do you know which one you're supposed to use? It sounds like you've got two professors, each of whom requires something different. That's ok -- they might legitimately both want Chicago style, and still have different expectations. Don't panic about that, just do what each of them asks!

I'm bit confused with the rest of your description, though:

-You say, "He said it was my URLS" but then later say "I didn't list any url's" -- do you think there are times when you were supposed to include them (according to the professor), but didn't? Or did you in fact include some URLs, but you think they were not formatted correctly?

-The whole point of DOIs is to *provide* stable links, so I'm not sure I understand what he means by providing links only if they're stable, but not to include DOIs.

Maybe if you could share what he actually posted, that would help? If you'd rather not do so publicly, feel free to PM me.

On another note: do you know any of the 4 students who got it right? Perhaps they could help you figure out where you went wrong!
By LingScot Comments: 1040, member since Sat Apr 09, 2005
On Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:49 AM
I posted before Gavrilushka's response was posted -- but just a note about spacing:

One reason a professor (especially one who is picky about citation formatting) might request that references also be double-spaced in a manuscript is so that they have room to make comments about the formatting! I would caution you to follow whatever instructions you have been given, even if they don't seem to make sense to you; it is often the case that professors *do* have reasons for requirements, even if they seem random and arbitrary to students. :)
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Tue Feb 18, 2014 01:24 AM
^ Ahh, didn't think of that! It looks so unprofessional though, lol. Honestly, I just ask the person who will be marking my paper for what they like. It's amazing how preferences differ between professors on something that should be so boxy and standard. :P
On Tue Feb 18, 2014 07:32 AM
I appreciate your help. I PMed LingScot with exactly what the professors said.

I *think* I know what I did wrong. But, now I have to get ready for work. I'll come back tonight and see if I can figure it out.
On Tue Feb 18, 2014 06:31 PM
I *think* I fixed them. I only fixed two so far, I want to make sure I'm on the right track before I waste a bunch of time changing them the wrong way. Do these look correct? (I can't hang them here, so other than that)

Author-date:
Ammons-Stephens, Shorlette, Holly J Cole, Keisha Jenkins-Gibbs, Catherine Fraser Riehle, and William H. Weare, Jr. 2009. "Developing Core Leadership Competencies for the Library Profession." Library Leadership & Management 23, no. 2: 63-74.

Notes-Bibliography:
Aharony, Noa. "Librarians' attitudes towards mobile services." Aslib Proceedings 65, no. 4 (2013): 358-375. doi: 10.1108/AP-07-2012-0059.

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed