Forum: Irish / Irish

I could cry! I broke my foot. :( (karma: 1)
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Feb 18, 2014 05:49 PM
Edited by Hop_123 (173279) on 2014-02-18 17:53:12
Edited by Hop_123 (173279) on 2014-02-18 18:33:12

I was having a great dance practice this afternoon with JigDancer17, doing a reel, improving technique (yay) when I landed an up over. Didn't twist anything, but just heard the loudest CRACK. We both thought the wood of the dance floor had cracked. Then figured the noise had to have come from me. It didn't hurt or swell up right away.

Went to urgent care and got an X-ray. Jones fracture (also called dancers fracture - go figure!) on the right foot. Have to go see an orthopedic doctor this week. Just in a splint now.

This sucks SOOOOOO much. I just finished my new solo skirt, and now I feel like I won't get to dance in it. I have a feis in 5 weeks. Of course, that is out. I feel like everything will atrophy and all my technique and stamina will go to hell, and getting it back at 50 years is going to be so hard. (is it even possible? and yes, I know it is, I'm just really bummed)

this really stinks :( :( :(

22 Replies to I could cry! I broke my foot. :(

re: I could cry! broke my foot. :(
By JenBlackerbymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Feb 18, 2014 06:02 PM
oh no!! :( It really does suck but if you keep yourself busy it'll go by faster than you think. My only advice: keep doing stuff. Don't sit. Do abs, arms, anything. Its hard to do anything, but don't stop, you'll regret it when your whole body is weak and your foot healed! Feel free to pm or email me if you need to gripe or anything. I was released from a 5th metatarsal fracture about a month ago.
re: I could cry! broke my foot. :(
By boleyngrrl
On Tue Feb 18, 2014 06:06 PM
Oh no!!!! I am so sorry! :( Fractures suck, and especially going up to a big feis! Up your calcium intake, definitely, until it's healed. You can definitely get back dancing, probably stronger than ever!

PM me if you ever need to vent or anything--I definitely understand the frustrations of being sidelined.

Do what the docs say for now--definitely stress that your goal is to get back to dance, because some doctors just don't get it sometimes.

Good luck and I hope it feels better soon!!!!!
re: I could cry! I broke my foot. :(
By Realtreble
On Tue Feb 18, 2014 07:28 PM
Don't bother crying, I'm crying on your behalf. Darned fate. Stupid bone. You better work your way back or this old lady is going to become your personal trainer and I've seen Officer and a Gentleman at least 3 dozen times!

"Where you been? Listening to rock and roll music and bad-mouthing your country, I'll bet!" Now run through those reel steps eight times.
By hannicamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Feb 18, 2014 08:53 PM
Oh no! And so close to feis as well! I definitely second the ab strengthening idea.
re: I could cry! I broke my foot. :( (karma: 1)
By LoriCook
On Wed Feb 19, 2014 01:07 AM
I broke the base of my big toe back in September doing highland dance shuffles. The doc said 6 weeks to heal, I thought three weeks because I wanted to compete, but I was wrong. My foot didn't start to heal until I totally stayed off of it. If I had to walk very far in the brace I used a wheelchair. Once I did that it healed fast. I lost some endurance and COULD NOT jump higher than an inch on that foot but it came back within a couple months with just a weekly practice and some theraband work.
My advice, do not push it. Let your foot heal COMPLETELY. Stay off of it, take calcium with D, and practice in your head. I kept going to class so I could stretch the rest of my body and mentally do the dances. Once it is healed, take it easy. You will get your dancing back, you have muscle memory and once your muscles have been toned and strong it is easier to bring them back than if you were starting from scratch.. My toe doesn't hurt at all now and I am dancing better than ever ( I am 43.) So sorry this happened to you. It is hard to be still when you want to be up and about. I was so bored without dance.
By sarahrID
On Wed Feb 19, 2014 05:29 AM
So sorry about your foot! sending healing thoughts your way.

In addition to the great advice already offered (lots of strengthening work, going to class to still be connected and seeing/thinking about the steps, and lots of stretching, I'd also talk to your doctor about what kind of cardio you can do. maybe an exercise bike or swimming. if you can find some kind of cardio that you can do while still letting your foot heal, it will go a long way towards helping you maintain your fitness.
On Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:46 AM
Thanks for the support. I saw orthopedic dr today. He gave me a short walking boot and said I can put weight on the foot as it feels okay. I don't think that will happen for a few days. Pretty sore with weight on it.

So hopefully it will heal up in about 2 months. I'm glad I didn't get a cast or tall boot. The muscles will atrophy less this way, though I know everything will be so weak.

Feeling a little more optimistic today.
By MissSlipjig
On Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:15 PM
Oh my gosh I am so sad to hear about your terrible injury! That is so unfair. Sounds like your were really on a roll too. My dance teacher said injuries often happen when people are on the verge of advancing. I REALLY hope you recover quickly!
By Siobhan91
On Wed Feb 19, 2014 01:00 PM
I hope you recover quick!
By chevrechevalmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Feb 19, 2014 09:46 PM
Please heal quickly and do not push the blasted toe go faster than possible. So proud of you for improving your technique. You really do rock! I second finding a way to keep your head, and as muchof your body as is safe, in the game. Dancers, and athletes, have a bad tendency to become depressed when injured. Sidelines are no fun. Lean on your support system, give thae doctor what for if they suggest no more dancing. Come back stronger than ever!
By GannTheGloriousmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Feb 19, 2014 09:56 PM
Oh no, and right when you finished your lovely dress :(

I'm gonna second (or maybe third?) advice to try something active to do while you heal--doctor approved of course! Chevrecheval is 100% right that dancers and athletes can easily fall into a depression if we have to take time off for whatever reason. I think it's part "Now what exactly am I going to do with myself?" and part missing that "Runner's (Dancer's) High." Finding something active that you can do, even if it's just core exercises or something will make it much easier to handle.
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:03 PM
Stay as involved as you can while you're out- can you help out at shows over St Pat's? My school always has a person who helps line the dancers up for shows, and a person who acts as MC, talking about the dancing. Can you do that?
As soon as you are cleared for other, non impact activity, go for it- ask about swimming, stationary bike, anything that can get your heart rate up so that you don't lose stamina. Then, use lots of visualization to make sure you remember your steps. Coaches say that visualizing your steps or saying them to music, or hand dancing is as valid a practice as dancing them, because it's making your mind work through the steps.

Keep stretching, do all the core work you can, and when you come back, give yourself a bit of time for your muscles to be able to do what your mind is asking of them.

Heal quickly!
By GannTheGloriousmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:52 PM
I'm going to show my true nerd colors in response to PogMoGillies: Mirror Neurons are what she's talking about, and there is research with fMRIs and stuff to support it. Basically, the idea of mirror neurons is when you either watch someone do an activity or think really hard about doing it, it fires up the same spot in the brain that works when you do it yourself. So, science says visualize your steps and watch your dance friends!
On Thu Feb 20, 2014 07:24 AM
thanks all! This year I had read a fairly old book called "the mental edge" and it was all about the mental side of sports, but had a large section on practicing in your head and how it can improve physical performance, so you bet I will be doing that!! and when my friend comes over to practice, I will use my "turns" for strengthening and stretching.

It's still going to be really tough, but I WANT TO WEAR MY DRESS!
By sjerosemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Feb 20, 2014 09:41 AM
I can't gush enough about the book "Dance Anatomy" - I thought it was super informative and helpful whenever I was trying to bounce back from an injury. They have loads of helpful exercises that you can do to work other muscle groups essential for dance, that won't impact your foot while it's healing.

And maybe it's silly for me to suggest, but if you want to wear your dress at the feis, you should wear it! Even if you're not dancing, even if you still have the boot on, even if it's for just 5 minutes to have a laugh and take some pictures, you've worked so hard for the honor to wear your solo, I feel you should go right ahead and wear it!
By DayOver30member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Feb 20, 2014 09:42 AM
I hope you heal quickly and can get back to dancing better than ever. I'm rooting for a good recovery for you. You have always given such helpful advice on here, and I have enjoyed reading about your accomplishments. I look forward to hearing about more accomplishments after your foot has healed. Until then, take care of your foot, and if the doctor allows you to do other exercises, do what you can to stay fit and happy.
By Tansey
On Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:43 AM
Oh, how frustrating that must be! I hope you heal very quickly and can soon wear your beautifully updated solo dress.
By Teasharkmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Feb 25, 2014 03:09 PM
How about you do a photosession with your new dress when you are strong enough to stand without the support? My friend got her picture taken with new dress, wig and everything on the day of her qualifier as she couldn't dance because of an injury. You don't have to do a feis to dress up, wear the pretty dress and be pretty! :) Having some nice pictures can cheer you up, I know it did my friend.

Kind regards,

TeaShark
On Mon Apr 14, 2014 05:02 PM
Just an update. It is 8 weeks tomorrow and last week I started walking on my toes forwards, backwards and sideways. Yesterday I tried putting on my hard shoes and going thru about 4 bars of some steps. My technique was horrible, but I did some hopping on the right, and no pain. I starting to feel more confident. :)

Five weeks till my next feis!
By JenBlackerbymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Apr 14, 2014 05:13 PM
yay!!! :)
By Realtreble
On Mon Apr 14, 2014 08:32 PM
That's wonderful news! I know it must seem like forever for you, but my initial reaction was a shocked, "so soon?!" Keep up the great healing!
By delaneysofia
On Thu Apr 24, 2014 08:13 AM
One of my friends broke her foot and was out for awhile but her mom hired a physical therapist too help keep her in shape.
Once she was cleared by the doctor to be able to dance, she was ready just in time for Oireachtas without much atrophy and she was in pretty good shape.
the PT had her do lots of strength training. Abs, arms, leg raises, wall sits. As much as you can do without hurting your foot.
Don't overwork your non broken foot though because my friend did that and it sort of threw her dancing off.

ReplySendWatch