Forum: Advice / Girls Only PG-13

Girls Only PG-13
I can't take the Pill anymore. Alternatives?
By Josianemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1643, member since Sun Nov 06, 2005
On Wed Feb 19, 2014 01:39 PM
Edited by Josiane (144829) on 2014-02-19 13:41:11
Edited by Josiane (144829) on 2014-02-19 13:51:53

I saw my family doctor today (hooray, I have one now!) and he told me I can no longer take the Pill because I've been having migraines with aura quite frequently in the past few months. He says that puts me at high risk of having a stroke. Something I obviously do not want.

The problem is that I was on the pill for two reasons. 1. Contraception 2. Acne.

I use condoms so contraception is not my biggest problem, although I do not feel 100% safe using only that. So I'm thinking about other alternatives, like an IUD. Or something else he mentioned that is made without estrogen.

He says the thing without estrogen is gonna make me gain weight. So, that's out of the question.

I've read IUD gives you acne if you are prone to it (which I am)

I tried to stop the pill once for other reasons and my acne came back, even though I was 23. (I am 25 now)

I guess I am looking for people who have the same experience as me regarding acne and contraception and not being able to take the pill and would like to share. Is everything I've read true?

When I was struggling with acne in my teens, the Pill was heaven-sent. I had tried so many creams, antibiotics, home remedy, drugstore products, etc. and nothing had worked. I was miserable and ugly and I do not want to go back there.

I know it's better to gain weight and have acne than being dead, but I am still really sad and have no clue what to do. I

4 Replies to I can't take the Pill anymore. Alternatives?

re: I can't take the Pill anymore. Alternatives? (karma: 1)
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6414, member since Sat May 15, 2004
On Wed Feb 19, 2014 02:41 PM
Was your doctor possibly talking about Depo-Provera when he mentioned you would gain weight? That is the only birth control method with some scientifically proven relationship with weight gain, but since we are all individuals, it is certainly not a given! And I would absolutely NOT make a health decision based on that one reason. You could try the shot for three months and monitor your weight and try something else if you are one of the people who does experience that particular side effect.

I too have experienced acne relief on the pill after trying a million other things and I would be so devastated if I had to go off it. I really feel for you. One thing to keep in mind is that you are 25 now and though you still may have acne problems, your skin has certainly changed in the last few years. You might be happily surprised when you stop taking the pill. On the other hand you might not. There are a lot of new products out there compared to when we were teenagers. Could be worth talking to a dermatologist about if your acne does worsen off the pill. They might have more specific products that work better for adult acne.
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Wed Feb 19, 2014 08:23 PM
Really, if you can't have the hormones, paragard is your only highly effective option. It is a copper IUD. There are no hormones, so it won't cause weight gain or acne.
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15032, member since Thu Feb 14, 2002
On Wed Feb 19, 2014 08:24 PM
There's 2 kinds of IUD: the copper, non-hormonal one, Paraguard; and the plastic hormonal one, Mirena.

I had horrible acne and still have it, to a lesser extent, as an adult. Mirena didn't do anything to my acne and now that I think about it, probably improved it a bit.

Can't recommend it highly enough - I LOVE my birth control. I don't get periods on it, either, which I think is basically the best thing in the world.
re: I can't take the Pill anymore. Alternatives?
By Josianemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1643, member since Sun Nov 06, 2005
On Wed Feb 19, 2014 08:58 PM
Wow that gives me a lot to think about. I can't believe I forgot to ask so many questions. I was a bit in shock, I've been on the pill for the past 10 years :/. And the word stroke made me panick a little. Also the fact that he talked about me getting a brain scan or something like that.

Not having period sounds really nice though. Considering how much chocolate I eat during my period... it might even be a weight loss solution haha!

Ubergoober, you are right. Acne medication probably has improved over the past 10 years and it might be worth giving it a try. I'm gonna try to get an appointment with a dermatologist asap. It can't hurt. I'm just really scared.

ReplySendWatch