Forum: Adults / Baby On Board

15 Weeks, No Belly
By GetRhythmmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Feb 19, 2014 09:02 PM

So I've been feeling a little frustrated lately from all these pregnancy books and apps I've been reading because they all talk about "how big" I should be getting at this point in my pregnancy. I'll be 16 weeks on Friday.

This is my first, so I guess not having a big bump at this point is kind of scary because I'm constantly worrying if everything's OK in there. I think part of the reason that I'm not really "showing" right now is because I'm already a bigger girl to start with. I suppose if I were a size 0, then I might be showing a lot more at this point.

I guess I'm just looking for reassurance. My 8 week and 12 week appointments were great -- my blood pressure was good and baby's heart rate was perfect. I feel like my 16 week appointment can't get here fast enough! :)

9 Replies to 15 Weeks, No Belly

re: 15 Weeks, No Belly
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Feb 19, 2014 09:57 PM
I know it's frustrating to feel like you've got all of the drag parts of the pregnancy (the morning sickness, bloating, and the like), but none of the fun stuff (the belly), but hang in there. It'll make itself known eventually.

I'm not a little girl either, and for a while, I just looked like I was kind of...extra fluffy. Then all the sudden, right around the 20 weeks mark, BAM! Belly! Then around 25, it really popped, and by 30, it'd doubled in size from 25 weeks!

I have a cousin that has a long torso, and she shows very little when she's pregnant. At 41 weeks, she was the same size that I was at 30.

The books speak in very absolute terms, but pregnancy is anything BUT absolute!
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:15 PM
I had a friend whose belly didn't arrive until she was nearly 24 weeks. She was a petite filipina so she was convinced she would get huge fast! But she did not. But when that belly finally did arrive, by 35 weeks that tummy made up for its late appearance!
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:51 PM
It varies immensely. I'm small but I carried both babies sort of in the middle of my body so I expanded all around but didn't get the "beach ball" at all until quite late. Styles were loose so people didn't realize I was pregnant for a long time. Some women who are quite tall and built like a linebacker carry the baby totally in front; so you know immediately. As long as your appointments show you are healthy there's nothing to worry about.
By punkgirl59
On Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:50 AM
I definitely wasn't showing at 15 weeks, and I actually was a size 0. Totally normal. You couldn't even tell I was pregnant until between 20-25 weeks, and I didn't really get big until closer to or after 30. As long as baby is healthy and developing normally, don't stress too much!
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Feb 20, 2014 03:32 AM
My friend has just hit 22 weeks and still isn't showing much. She's a UK size 10. Her midwife told her she has a 'deep pregnancy' and he's hiding lower in her pelvis for the time being. She says he's moving round and some days she'll have a biggish bump and other days not much at all. Her baby is in the right size range for his 'age', heartbeat normal, all blood tests normal - so there's nothing for you to worry about I'm sure!
By GetRhythmmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Feb 20, 2014 08:56 AM
Edited by GetRhythm (133910) on 2014-02-20 08:58:30
Thanks for the reassurance. :) I've actually had the easiest pregnancy in the world so far. No morning sickness. No mood swings. I've felt great! So I guess feeling good and not really showing yet just make me feel like I'm not even really pregnant. I suppose I'm lucky in that way though. :)

And when I do get that belly, I'll be posting pictures!
By Tansey
On Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:49 AM
Edited by Tansey (209516) on 2014-02-20 10:50:23
With my first I didn't have a belly that showed until about 20 weeks. Most of my friends and I didn't "show" as soon with the first pregnancy as we did with subsequent pregnancies. Enjoy the process!
re: 15 Weeks, No Belly (karma: 1)
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Feb 20, 2014 01:06 PM
That photo is of me at 18/19ish weeks with my first pregnancy. As you can see, I had nothing that baby could "hide" behind, but STILL managed to not look pregnant.
Since your muscles- particularly your abs- aren't used to being stretched, they're going to hold everything in much better than they will on subsequent pregnancies.

However, I feel you on the WANTING that baby belly... it'll come. By the end of your pregnancy, you'll be so tired of looking and feeling pregnant that you'll be excited to get rid of the bump!
By CaffeinePremium member
On Fri Feb 21, 2014 02:39 AM
I'm a larger build and the belly popped out insanely early - at 16 weeks I looked MUCH farther along, and got the whole "are you sure its not twins" question all the time. My SiL, who has a similar build to me (just shorter) hardly showed until right at the end.

I've read how you carry your baby can be partly due to genetics (if your mum had a small bump, you may as well), baby's size and location, and your own muscle tone. And luck.

I'm glad you have had an easy pregnancy so far! Touch wood the rest of the pregnancy will go just as smoothly! :D
By Reidfidleirmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Feb 21, 2014 01:18 PM
Congratulations! I also had no belly at 15 weeks. I mean I could tell I was a little bigger, but not by much. I didn't really start showing until 20 weeks or so. But after that I carried all up front like a basketball. And awesome that you're having an easy pregnancy! I did too until later in the second trimester. I felt good most of the time but then I would tend to get the poops haha.
By HollieErin
On Fri Feb 21, 2014 01:47 PM
Your belly only grow approximately 1cm per week, so it isn't surprising that you haven't popped yet. It happens over night, you just wake up one morning and realize that you've lost your feet.

ReplySendWatch