Forum: General / Travel

Travel
Looking for a southern city with a young crowd/laid back feel...
By Dancecutie38 Comments: 442, member since Sun Jan 18, 2004
On Thu Feb 20, 2014 06:19 PM

Hi everyone,

I may have posted something like this awhile ago, and I tried to respond to it but the post was too old so it didn't work! So, I thought I would just repost my question. :) Thanks everyone!

So I am just THINKING now (I am only 24) but I am thinking of possibly moving out of state in the future. I have a long life ahead of me and I love traveling so its just a thought.

I really like the south, i do like the heat and the souther hospitality. It seems more of a family feel down there and just I like the atmosphere.

But can anyone think of (in any of the southern states) a city with a younger population/social scene? I mean being that I am still young, I would still like to move to a place that I am able to make new friends, places to see,etc.

I am not just looking for a COLLEGE town but I would be interested to know living in a college town, like would it be really annoying and loud? I don't know.

I mean not JUST looking for mainly younger generation but like a small town atmosphere too. I hope this is making sense! And maybe to get a little bit deeper, does anyone know of any specific places or neighborhoods a city has that a younger generation usually lives in/goes to? I know in every city (at least where I am from- Milwaukee we have the 3rd ward and the east side that draws a younger population.)

BUT if anyone can help me in anyway I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Erin

16 Replies to Looking for a southern city with a young crowd/laid back feel...

re: Looking for a southern city with a young crowd/laid back feel...
By djcharamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 967, member since Mon Jan 11, 2010
On Thu Feb 20, 2014 07:22 PM
Charlottesville, VA!! It's a college town (University of VA) but it's there's definitely a young social scene outside of that also. The music and restaurants and culture are just fantastic and it's a great combo of "northern ambition and southern charm" like everyone says. There is just so much going on all the time between shows and amazing places to hike/ bike and races and college athletic events and cultural/ historical stuff and every amazing concert you could think of and the list goes on! It's not really a city but it's also not really a small town either. It's the best! I'm in college here now and I'm already crossing everything I have that I'll get into med school here too so I can stay :)
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8600, member since Thu Apr 17, 2003
On Thu Feb 20, 2014 07:37 PM
VA is the south?! Haha, I forget sometimes. People in the deep south rarely consider North Carolina the south, lol.

My suggestions:]
- Asheville, NC
- Austin, TX
- New Orleans, LA
- And my friends would suggest Charleston, SC, but it's not been my personal cup of tea
- I hear good things about Savannah, GA, too
- Tampa, FL
By MarlaSingermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3906, member since Fri Jul 25, 2008
On Fri Feb 21, 2014 05:48 AM
Nashville, TN, if you consider that "south." I freaking love Nashville. I have a friend there, and I visit a few times per year. There are several colleges and universities located there, so there are quite a few young people who either currently attend school there or who recently graduated and settled in Nashville. Obviously there is a huge live music scene, and it's not just country. Live music of all types can be found there just about everywhere you go. My friend and most of his friends live in East Nashville, which is currently a bit of an up-and-coming hipster locale, with lots of coffee shops, small local restaurants, boutiques, etc, but it's still a little rough around the edges. There are other neighborhoods which are much more upscale though, if that's more what you're into. Just stay away from the suburbs... They're not bad places, but I wouldn't call them "young" by any means.

What I love about Nashville is that you'll find a lot of the southern hospitality/friendliness of other southern cities, but the weather is more temperate, and there are a lot of transplants living there, so you'll find people of all types, not just lifelong southerners. In case you couldn't tell, I was strongly considering moving there myself as recently as last year. :) I ultimately decided against it, but that had more to do with career opportunities for my husband than anything else. I still think I'd love living there.
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Fri Feb 21, 2014 01:39 PM
New Orleans or Austin.
By LizDancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1140, member since Fri Jan 06, 2006
On Fri Feb 21, 2014 09:09 PM
I can vouch for Charleston! I've spent a lot of time there, and it definitely has quite a lot of young people. College of Charleston is there, so there's a big college crowd, but there's a lot of people in their mid-20's as well in addition to all the college kids. It's a beautiful city and there's definitely fun things to do. They have awesome restaurants, and you can also go to the beach! I wouldn't say that it has a big city vibe, really. It's big enough to be interesting, but it certainly has much more of a small-town feel than a big-city feel. If that's what you're looking for. I will say that it has a very preppy Southern vibe, so I don't know if that's what you're looking for or not. But there's definitely a good number of non-Southern transplants living there too.
By Melly2 Comments: 22, member since Sat Dec 14, 2013
On Fri Feb 21, 2014 09:27 PM
New Orleans takes my vote, nice folks and fantastic food, what more can you desire?
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15182, member since Thu Aug 22, 2002
On Sat Feb 22, 2014 09:54 AM
Edited by Brittany (36942) on 2014-02-22 09:54:55
I vote Savannah. I love New Orleans but I want it to keep the wonderful sparkle of being a city I get to visit every now and then as a treat. Savannah has a young crowd, is right near the beach, and has plenty to do. There are a few colleges in Sav, mainly SCAD, but I wouldn't call it a college town. If you are into bars there are plenty to cover that desire. Plus, the city itself is just absolutely beautiful....it's filled with trees draping high over the road which is something I really miss in Texas. Georgia has so much more greenery.
By Sumayah Comments: 6876, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Sat Feb 22, 2014 02:49 PM
^ That's because you're down in SA. Though in all fairness you won't find tallish trees until you get closer to Louisiana. But the Fredericksburg/Hill Country is gorgeous! Austin has far too many people, it's kind of ruining the Austin-ness of bygone years. There's a big club scene here for those so inclined. But if you're not into clubbing, drinking, and dancing, it's kind of lame. Or you need to be into the whole biking/jogging/kayaking/central market/local scene. And you definitely need a car, because public transportation sucks and you'll find yourself living like two cities away and spending 45 minutes just to get downtown.
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Sun Feb 23, 2014 03:54 AM
Good suggestions. I'll add Gainesville.
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 634, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sun Feb 23, 2014 07:48 PM
I live in San Antonio, TX, and let me tell you, San Antonio ain't it!!! Never was, never is, and in my opinion never shall be. Austin is the place be if you are young and want to be with others like you. Seriously, Austin is where it is right now for a lot of young folks.
By Rosiemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4094, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Sun Feb 23, 2014 08:57 PM
North Carolina is definitely the south! I've spent the past four years in Asheville, NC for college, so if you have any questions about it feel free to PM me. It's a pretty unique town-lots of culture, lots of good music and lots to see! It's been a really fun place to live as a young person and definitely isn't a college town either (the university is pretty small so people forget it's here haha).
By Dancecutie38 Comments: 442, member since Sun Jan 18, 2004
On Mon Mar 03, 2014 05:51 PM
Hi everyone!

Oh wow, thank you all for your comments! So helpful and informative.. if you don't mind me asking too, do any of you recommend any cities in particular or places that you mentioned that have a good public transit route? I don't drive but I am thinking if I lived in the city itself it would be easier to get around? Your thoughts?

Thanks so much again!

Erin
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8600, member since Thu Apr 17, 2003
On Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:50 PM
Let me just say that southern cities are NOT known for their public transportation systems. Everyone that I know here in Charleston has a car. Everyone.

In New Orleans you can take the street cars, but that's about it. I can't speak for Austin, but you'd need a car anywhere else.
On Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:17 AM
Ahmen to that! Public Transportation is a dirty word in most of Texas. In San Antonio, the VIA bus service only serves the city itself, and not any of the 'burbs, especially those outside Bexar County. There is no commuter rail, light rail, anything like that between SAT and AUS, except for one private company, Rack-Space which provides a commuter bus for its employee's who wisely live in AUS, but have to work in SAT.

In AUS, again, no good public transportation to move around the city or between the city and the AUS 'burbs. Everyone drives. The only light rail Austin has is a street-car that only operates through downtown itself, and pretty much on a straight line.

Good luck finding a southern city with good public transportation.
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Sun Mar 09, 2014 05:29 PM
Edited by Moonlitefairy06 (90715) on 2014-03-09 17:31:19
It's not as "south" as most cities (technically mid-Atlantic), but Washington DC has a good public transportation system and it extends into Virginia (and is currently being extended further south into Virginia by Dulles Airport)., but it's not as "laid back" as other southern cities.

What about Florida? I don't know much about it but I would guess that there might be better bus systems there with so many retired people who don't drive?
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Sun Mar 09, 2014 08:10 PM
Washington DC...once described by the late President Kennedy as "a town with Northern charm and Southern efficiency." It is possible to live in and around Washington without a car. A close friend, a researcher at the National Institutes of Health, while she does have a car, get to most places she wishes to go on the Metro (Subway.) There are five major Universities here, American, Catholic, Georgetown, George Washington, and the main campus of the University of Maryland (also near a subway line.) There are several smaller universities and colleges. The area is much larger than most people imagine since they will see the population figure for Washington, DC (about 550,000) but far, far more people live in Maryland and Virginia which while called suburbs are really extensions of urban Washington. Unless you are crossing the Potomac River into Virginia you really can't tell if you are in Washington or Maryland unless you know the area. One side of the street or river is Washington, DC the other side is either MD or VA. There are between 5 and 8 million people living in the area, and probably 6 million in the defined standard metro area. You would have to choose your residential area carefully to be fairly near a subway station, though I live in the outer suburbs and could catch a bus within a block of my house that would take me to a Metro station. (I never did that as I didn't work in Downtown Washington...I had no choice but to car commute.) I don't know how extensive the systems of Atlanta and Miami are, but both places have subways. I've used Atlanta's while on Government business. Florida places no mentioned include Orlando and Tampa/St. Pete. Both places, while not normally though of as "College towns" do have rather large if not particularly well-known universities. I've never been to Tallahassee, but Florida State University is there. Like Milwaukee, Florida has several cities bordering water. [I'm a native Wisconsinite.]

Jon
On Sat Mar 15, 2014 07:22 AM
Washington does have great public transportation, as Jon mentioned. I loved it when I was stationed there!! I never used public transportation that much, my job required me to have a car and as the Metro Green Line had not yet been extended out to Andrews AFB in Camp Springs, MD like it is today. So I had to drive. I lived in Waldorf MD, and I had a military neighbor friend who worked downtown. It was great for him, he walked two blocks where a Metro commuter bus picked him up for work right in our neighborhood. The bus took him to the Metro station, where he got on a train. The train then took him then took him to Washington's Union Station Metro stop where he got off and then walked two more blocks right to the front door of his office building which was right off of Capitol Hill. If only I could have been assigned downtown!!

ReplySendWatch