Forum: Irish / Irish - Adult Dancers

What is your favorite kind/brand of dance sneaker for ID class/practice?
By HBwahinemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Feb 20, 2014 08:57 PM

HI all,
What is your favorite brand/style of dance sneaker for class/ practice?
The sole of my Capezio dance sneakers split across the ball of my foot the other night at class, so I'm looking for a new pair. I usually only use the sneakers for soft shoe, but I always thought these Capezio's were loud - the soles are a tad stiff, making noise when dancing. Our studio has a good floor, but I prefer using sneakers for practice due to previous PF and ankle issues.
Fortunately, there is a Discount Dance supply not too far, so I can try on.
Many thanks!

6 Replies to What is your favorite kind/brand of dance sneaker for ID class/practice?

re: What is your favorite kind/brand of dance sneaker for ID class/practice?
By DayOver30member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Feb 20, 2014 09:59 PM
I actually really like the Sansha Salsette dance sneakers I had to get for college color guard (I got them through Discount Dance Supply's website....I didn't realize there was an actual store). I ended up using them for Irish dance practice at home and when I was recovering from an ankle injury and couldn't wear hard shoes at practice. The sole isn't as clunky as the (I think) Capezios I borrowed from my sister when I was between pairs of hard shoes once. It's got a smooth suede sole on bottom, except for the heel, so I like them for soft shoe, though I recently discovered I've developed a bad habit with my trebles, thanks to not actually wearing my hard shoes when I practice at home, oops :( I think they would work well for just soft shoe practice, though.
By tinydancer1988
On Fri Feb 21, 2014 07:00 AM
I've heard good things about Blochs, but I have also heard bad things about dance sneakers in general. Because of the split sole, they don't support your foot, so if you are wearing them to nurse an injury, they don't offer much more support or cushion than your regular shoes do. And they don't really help that much if you are dancing on a bad (eg- concrete, tile, unsprung) floor (they help with slipperiness, but they don't help with prevention of shin splints).

Someone on here once mentioned that you are better off finding a pair of Nikes or Adidas shoes with good support and cushion, and that have a sole that won't stick to the floor, and just dancing in those. I just dance in my Nikes when I'm at home now, for the most part because I have horrible problems with shin splints.
By chevrechevalmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Feb 21, 2014 08:47 AM
The champs at our school dance in New Balance sneakers. Flat across the bottom, light weight, good cushion, not loud.

I wear the Bloch Fusion. It is a cross between a jazz sneaker and a jazz shoe. It gives the ball of my foot the cushion of a jazz sneaker, but light weight, like a jazz shoe.

Glad you can try them on. Makes such a difference. Hope you find something that works well for you.
By MissSlipjig
On Fri Feb 21, 2014 09:16 AM
I have Blochs and I like them and they will not fall apart easily like Capezios.
By GeorgeTomasevich
On Fri Feb 21, 2014 02:03 PM
If the issue is pounding on the feet, there is an alternative. I use my soft shoes with foam inserts, either under the ball or the whole foot. 5-millimeter thick polyurethane foam is good. Hobby Lobby sells Silly Winks. The local one had Creatology earlier, but I have not seen it lately. The Elmer's mat board is not so good, because it is covered with paper that wrinkles. I had tried another kind of foam that disintegrated in a few minutes. After a few hours, the foam will have indented to the shape of one's feet.
By Bogart
On Mon Mar 17, 2014 02:32 PM
One of our teachers dances in Nike frees, I have a pair of Blochs, but don't use those on lenoleum!! They stick like crazy and I fell last week!!. Honestly, I only use my dance sneakers for hard shoe when my feet or legs are painfully tired. Otherwise I really try to stick with my Irish dancing shoes. I feel like I start to trust the feel and support of my sneakers and then I switch and have to learn how to support my own feet all over again. Though I do get using them on floors where normal hardshoes are not allowed.
re: What is your favorite kind/brand of dance sneaker for ID class/practice? (karma: 1)
By boleyngrrl
On Mon Mar 17, 2014 05:14 PM
Seriously, the ID world needs to get away from these stupid sneakers. They are the WORST.

If you want support, dance sneakers are not your friends. Dance sneakers are not designed to be supportive. They are not designed to help you come back from an injury, or prevent them. For Irish dancers, they will hurt you far more than they will help you.

Their thick soles are totally unhelpful and downright dangerous for softshoe, and they're useless in hardshoe because the toe is too high and the heel is too low.

Find some running sneakers. The thinner the sole, the better. Put your orthotics in them. The support is not much better than dance sneakers, but they won't allow your arches to fall or strain them the way dance sneakers will, and they won't add bulk and increase your chance of injuring yourself again. I'm a huge fan of the new balance running sneakers--not their thinnest soles (not the ones you can see through), but the next thinnest ones. I also like Nike frees, but they have slightly thicker soles. Good for coming off injuries, but not the best overall shoe. I'd go with the New Balances.

Again, dance sneakers are terrible. Avoid them like the plague, especially if you are injury prone or trying to recover. In my opinion, they are a gross waste of money and you're better off with running shoes. If you're going on point that much that you would need the split sole, you should be back in your hardshoes because their shank will help you 10x more than the useless bit of fabric dance sneakers say is their "arch support".

*ends rant*
By fouleafmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Apr 01, 2014 02:17 PM
Well, while recognizing that dance sneakers are not ideal, does anyone have a favorite dance sneaker for practicing hard shoe in particular? The only space I have to practice is the workout room at my gym and they're not going to be keen on my using it if I destroy the floor with my real hard shoes. I hate my current dance sneakers because there's too much traction; my feet keep getting caught/stuck on the floor.

Unless, by some small chance, someone knows of a product that I can slip over the hard shoe to protect the floor?
By tinydancer1988
On Fri Apr 18, 2014 03:06 PM
We put clear or grey duct tape on our hard shoes when we practice at our location that uses a ballet studio- I sort of think they hate us for what we do to their poor floor, but the tape definitely minimizes the impact of the plexiglass (as much as possible). Using a couple of layers will cushion the floor more from the tips.

Actually, you know what I would recommend? Get some of the roll-out flooring and bring it with you. You can practice to your heart's content, it will help with any slippery floors, and if they're nice, they might have a storage closet you can stowe it away in. I hear that shower/bath pan liner works great (it's vinyl, it's not sticky, and it will save their floors. And it won't break the bank like a section of Marley flooring would).

www.homedepot.com . . .

That's $40 at Home Depot. I would see if they can get it in stock at your store so you can go take a look at it and make sure that it's thick enough that it won't just rip.

ReplySendWatch