Forum: Irish / Irish

Ready to feis again?
By ReelJiggered
On Sat Feb 22, 2014 02:09 PM

Hi there,
I wanted to ask for some advice. I've been able to come back to dance after a year-long break due to injury. I've only been dancing full-out since the year started and so my stamina is craptastic. I've been working very hard on it recently, but it still needs LOTS of improvement. (I am just now able to dance my whole treble jig.)

I signed up for a feis next weekend and I'm trying to decide whether I should go. It's a 5 hour drive, so I'm not going to bother if I don't feel that I can do a good job. How do I know if I'm ready?? My confidence is definitely not where it used to be yet (mostly due to my stamina).

Thanks!
K

6 Replies to Ready to feis again?

re: Ready to feis again?
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Feb 22, 2014 03:23 PM
Well you could look at it as a very low pressure intro back into feising, but 5 hours is a long way to drive. Is that one way, or round trip?

If you just want to dance in front of a judge again and don't care about placing, I would be inclined to do it. You've paid for the feis and you've got to jump back in at some point!

Really, only you can decide if it will be worth the trip. Anyone else going from your school that you could ride with?
By Tansey
On Sat Feb 22, 2014 04:29 PM
Would your teacher give you their honest opinion as to whether you're ready or not?
By ReelJiggered
On Sat Feb 22, 2014 07:08 PM
Thanks for the advice! Yes, it's 5 hours one-way. I have a hybrid car, so thankfully gas isn't too bad for the trip but I will need to stay in a hotel for a night.

I asked one of my TCs and he told me to do it if I'm feeling confident in some of my dances, but not to dance any that I'm not confident in. I'm going to ask my other TC tomorrow. I just wanted to get some outside input as well.

K
By Kirvin3member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Feb 22, 2014 07:36 PM
I'd say go. You have paid for it and the entry fees for feiseanna are nothing to shake a stick at anymore. If nothing else you get practice in front of judges and the adrenaline rush of competing again. Dance for the fun of it rather than pushing for placing and just get back into the competition. if there's a dance you really feel you can't do, then sure, sit it out, otherwise dance, and enjoy the thrill again.
By ReelJiggered
On Sun Feb 23, 2014 03:28 PM
Update: after a three-hour class today, I'm feeling SOO much better about my dancing. My TC said that I should definitely compete. As she said, "If you can get through THAT (endurance training), you can get through a feis."

So it looks like I'm going to my first feis since 2012 this next Sunday. OMG! Now I just have to decide if I should wear my solo dress (it's a bit tight after a year without dancing).

K
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Feb 23, 2014 04:42 PM
Glad you had a good class. That is always so helpful right before a feis. Good luck and let us know how it goes for you!

ReplySendWatch