Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Beginners

Jazz - Beginners
Getting Back Leg More Elevated in Leaps
By amy_dance97 Comments: 1, member since Mon Feb 24, 2014
On Mon Feb 24, 2014 08:01 AM

I have my right split flat and I am currently working on my over splits and leaps.

With my right leg leap, my front leg is straight and at hip height, my teacher says that its perfect but my back leg is straight but is not anywhere near as high. She told me to work on my back legs elevation so my leap is 180 degrees in the air but I'm not sure what I can do to increase my back legs elevation.

Thankyou :)

2 Replies to Getting Back Leg More Elevated in Leaps

re: Getting Back Leg More Elevated in Leaps
By Marshapittlyles1 Comments: 5, member since Tue Apr 08, 2014
On Wed Apr 09, 2014 06:20 AM
Edited by imadanseur (79325) on 2014-04-09 10:13:27 you may not advertise for free
You sound flexible so it could be that your hip flexors are weak. Leaps need strength & power. Try doing grand battements & grand battments encloche. Weak hip flexors will limit leg strength.
re: Getting Back Leg More Elevated in Leaps
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Thu May 08, 2014 03:18 AM
The big problem here is that you don't KNOW your back leg is low. You need to look at yourself in a mirror so you can recognize what your legs are doing. And assuming you can do a full split, grand jetes do NOT take a lot of power. It's only like you're kicking to your waist, so this is about lack of control and awareness.

OK but good news, this is a common problem, and it's easy to fix if you're willing to work at it. First of all, stop trying to make your legs flat. The more you do it wrong, the more you reinforce your bad habits. Watch yourself in a mirror, and see how high you can raise your legs EVENLY. Start small and work your way up. Then practice doing them EVENLY like a million times. Don't try to get them flat! Focus on making them even. When you're comfortable doing them like that, try to raise your legs just a few inches. Still, don't try to make them flat or you'll ruin all your hard work. Practice until it feels natural. Then raise them again - but only a few inches. Repeat, repeat, repeat until your leaps are flat.

But you have to watch yourself in a mirror EVERY TIME. And as soon as you notice your legs are no longer even, back off. Continue to practice with your legs at a lower angle for a while, and then try to raise them again.

Good luck :)

ReplySendWatch