Forum: Adults / Work/Employment

Work/Employment
experience in cruise ship dance and westend?
By dancer_aimyXomember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 962, member since Wed Oct 15, 2008
On Mon Feb 24, 2014 08:31 AM
Moved to Work/Employment by hummingbird (128773) on 2014-02-24 22:35:16 Moved to a more appropriate forum.

So I have done some research on dance auditions in the UK Yes there are lots of websites with relevant information but these all want you to sign up and there seems to be a fee. I will be finished my Degree in May and I am looking to perform a bit . I am interested in West End and or Cruise ships but I cant seem to find any relevant information in this section . I was wondering if any one has experience working in these entertainment sectors . If they would be able to share their experiences or tell their steps to get where they have got and or any advice given .
If you do not want to make it public please PM me. I need as much information as I can get.

DARE TO DREAM <3

4 Replies to experience in cruise ship dance and westend?

re: experience in cruise ship dance and westend?
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:32 PM
Edited by hummingbird (128773) on 2014-02-24 22:33:45
In the UK there's 'The Stage' newspaper, all of the cattle call auditions are listed there, by that I mean open to all who turn up, this does mean that they normally have quite strict body type and appearance restrictions before you even get in the door to dance, but it is where you get noticed and asked to the invitation only auditions so it is worth going to them.

The only place you really need to have your picture and details listed apart from with your agent is Spotlight, it's the most respected publication out there for all theatrical work and you NEED to have your bio listed with them especially if you're looking to get into west end work.

Apart from that what else do you need to know? It might help get some more detailed answers.

Didn't your college have an agency? The big ones always do and they're worth their weight in gold.
By dancer_aimyXomember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 962, member since Wed Oct 15, 2008
On Tue Feb 25, 2014 03:37 AM
I have been on "The stage" they do ask for a fee for performers auditions. They do have a few listed without full membership.
I will look into spotlight. My university does not have an agency. I am in the northeast.
Thank you for your adivce.
By MonkeyStepsmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 294, member since Wed Dec 15, 2010
On Tue Feb 25, 2014 08:19 AM
dancer_aimyXo wrote:

I have been on "The stage" they do ask for a fee for performers auditions. They do have a few listed without full membership.
I will look into spotlight. My university does not have an agency. I am in the northeast.
Thank you for your adivce.

The Stage newspaper is only about £2 and that's all you pay for each issue, then you can see all the auditions inside it. I always used to get it form WH Smith but you can subscribe to get it sent to your house.

Honestly, an agent is the only way to get to most of the auditions. There are quite a few dance-only agents, as well as some who represent various types of performers. Have a look into those and think about applying to some :)
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Tue Feb 25, 2014 08:54 AM
In the UK there's 'The Stage' newspaper,

Just as MonkeySteps says it's a newspaper and you can order it from most newsagents.

They are on line too, here's their jobs page. Yes you'll need to register, that just means you'll buy an online subscription instead of having the paper copy.

www.thestage.co.uk . . .

ReplySendWatch