Forum: Ballet / Ballet Photos - Misc

Ballet Photos - Misc
Unhappy PDD couple? (karma: 1)
By ex_gang_girl Comments: 418, member since Sun Jan 17, 2010
On Tue Feb 25, 2014 05:13 PM

The look on the girl's face is priceless. One can only imagine what she's thinking. :)

24 Replies to Unhappy PDD couple?

re: Unhappy PDD couple? (karma: 1)
By Sumayah Comments: 6876, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Tue Feb 25, 2014 09:14 PM
She's thinking, "Get me over my leg. I can't wing my arabesque foot when I nowhere on my leg." Either that or, "I can't believe I forgot to take off my underwear... it's totally showing, isn't it?"
re: Unhappy PDD couple?
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Tue Feb 25, 2014 09:27 PM
Either that Sum or she's looking at the instructor and silently asking why she always gets the guys who can't find her centre, I think the answer would be,'Because you were the one who had their boy shorts showing'
re: Unhappy PDD couple? (karma: 1)
By greenpumpkinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2214, member since Thu Dec 20, 2007
On Wed Feb 26, 2014 04:27 AM
I think it is inappropriate to post pictures of minors like that. If I were her, I would be mortified.
By Serendipity42Premium member Comments: 2267, member since Sun Aug 16, 2009
On Wed Feb 26, 2014 05:34 AM
Posting...probably all over the internet already.

To me, it looks like he is the teacher and is showing her something. She looks to me like she is checking the mirror, concentrating on the instruction.
On Wed Feb 26, 2014 07:24 AM
Greenpumpkin, this picture was sent to me by a coworker and it is on the internet and available to all. It's not like someone sneaked into a studio and took a covert picture. I posted it because I thought it was amusing. I'm not trying to embarrass or make fun of the girl in the picture.
By greenpumpkinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2214, member since Thu Dec 20, 2007
On Wed Feb 26, 2014 07:29 AM
OK, here is the source of the picture. It's from Alberta. Someone took a particularly bad frame out of an otherwise unexceptional video clip. I still don't think it's nice or appropriate, even if "everyone else" is passing it around "the Internet."

www.youtube.com . . .

If there's something to be learned from this, it is the use of the eyeballs --- a topic that is important, but I rarely see discussed. Eyeballs should always be in the center of the eyes, looking in the direction the nose is pointed. If not... well, you will get bad pictures like this one. Notice that the dancer in the video skews her eyeballs sideways at least three times.

(Outside this video, the more common eyeball mistake is to look up with your eyeballs instead of your head).
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4234, member since Sat Feb 03, 2007
On Wed Feb 26, 2014 08:04 AM
the link to the video goes somewhere else.
By RosePremium member Comments: 9216, member since Sat Dec 30, 2006
On Wed Feb 26, 2014 05:18 PM
Edited by Rose (172256) on 2014-02-26 17:24:29
ex_gang_girl wrote:

... this picture was sent to me by a coworker and it is on the internet and available to all.

That still doesn't mean anyone is allowed to spread this picture.

ex_gang_girl wrote:

It's not like someone sneaked into a studio and took a covert picture.

How do you know?

ex_gang_girl wrote:

I posted it because I thought it was amusing.

Spreading it on the internet is not amusing for the girl in the picture.

ex_gang_girl wrote:

I'm not trying to embarrass or make fun of the girl in the picture.

You spread a picture of her she can't be proud off. That is embarrassing for her. Someone could have commented in a way to make fun of her. You gave that option.
On Wed Feb 26, 2014 06:58 PM
Edited by greenpumpkin (189572) on 2014-02-26 19:00:12
OK, here is the correct link:

www.youtube.com . . .

Look at any video with "Bridget" in the name. She has a bad habit of looking out of the corner of her eye in so many of the videos. I'm not sure what she's looking at, probably the mirror.

Really, I am not impressed by the quality of technique in these videos. If I didn't know better, I would think that "Vaganova" stands for some kind of mediocre training. The school should never have put this stuff up on YouTube, it hurts their reputation and sets their students up for public ridicule. See here for just one of many excellent student ballet videos that the school and students can be proud of:

www.youtube.com . . .
By Sumayah Comments: 6876, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:26 PM
Wooooooow. You guys, really? People are gonna laugh at funny stills. If the internet as a whole can laugh at Beyonce and there isn't anything *she* can do about it (and she's flipping Beyonce) then I mean, come on now.

It's a bad still frame. The videos show them in class, they're learning. The face is great and I hold my original sentiment to be true - he can't get her over her leg. But with time, they'll get there. Yeah, they aren't quite up to the standards of the Paris Opera Ballet School, but really how many schools are? The face she's making is funny, there's nothing inherently wrong with her and I'm preeeeetty sure that if there were videos or pictures of me in pdd class, I was making some faces too. And I'm also fairly certain I'd laugh at them.

So what's the solution? Not ever share a picture or video online ever again? Only share professional dancers? Geez.
On Thu Feb 27, 2014 05:59 AM
I'm sorry if some took offence at the posting of this picture. I wasn't trying to insult or make fun of anyone. I though others would have the same reaction that I did, but I misjudged the response I would get.
On Thu Feb 27, 2014 06:20 AM
It's a bad still frame. The videos show them in class, they're learning. The face is great and I hold my original sentiment to be true - he can't get her over her leg.

It's one bad frame from a mediocre video, taken out of context. There are many things wrong. But the REASON she is making that face is because she has a bad habit of looking in the mirror out of the corner of her eye. It has nothing to do with her partner's ability.

Yeah, they aren't quite up to the standards of the Paris Opera Ballet School, but really how many schools are?

I can show you plenty of great ballet student videos. The point is not that the students at POB are better (of course they are), but that the management of THIS school failed its students by putting bad videos of them in leotard and tights for all the world to see.

I'm preeeeetty sure that if there were videos or pictures of me in pdd class, I was making some faces too.

Hopefully, you and your school will both be wise enough to refrain from doing that.

So what's the solution? Only share professional dancers?

Actually, yes. Professional dancers are public figures, and sharing their photos is fair game. They also know this, and take pains to avoid bad photos from getting out. Students are not public figures, and many of them don't know any better. Don't ridicule people just because they made a poor decision.
By Old_Ballet_Dude Comments: 555, member since Tue Mar 13, 2007
On Thu Feb 27, 2014 08:07 AM
OK, I think the reaction has been a bit too harsh. The poster saw humor in a picture and wanted to share it with people she thought might understand the situation. An apology has been written by her and I think it's time to move on.
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:46 AM
Of course we all know that the reason she is making a face is because she has a bad habit of looking at the mirror. I don't think this post was supposed to be literal.

OP, thanks for sharing. I actually thought it was quite humorous.
By BunHeadAlymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 233, member since Mon Apr 30, 2012
On Thu Feb 27, 2014 09:51 PM
I agree with GP and Rose 100%.

Wanted to add that I'm disappointed that a thread with such catty intent was allowed. And yes, the intent WAS catty. This picture was clearly made fun of and was invited for other members to make fun of it too.

How do we know this girl is not a member here? If this were me in that picture I would be MORTIFIED. Yeah I'm an adult but I would be so hurt by this thread.
re: Unhappy PDD couple? (karma: 3)
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Fri Feb 28, 2014 02:10 PM
Any one who's never done Pas de deux probably doesn't really understand why this is funny if you have been in a Pas class then you'll know that we've all had THOSE partners who just don't seem to get it.They don't seem to realize that you're meant to be dancing to make each other look good rather than just yourself for a change.

I remember my early Pas classes, being pulled off pointe, having 'Pull up' hissed in my ear as the instructor is barking other directions at you, kicking my partner, standing on his foot, him standing on my foot, oh and being dropped! I know for a fact I pulled funny faces whilst I was dancing, we all do.

I also can't believe that the member who first called out the OP then went on to make such belittling comments about the dancers in the clip not just that, they then provide a clip of dancers that represent everything they have argued against in the world of training classical ballet dancers. Kids who are selected from hundreds to live away from home in a rarified environment being indoctrinated in the way of classical ballet, I didn't think you were proud of that side of the world of dance GP.
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Fri Feb 28, 2014 04:42 PM
Edited by imadanseur (79325) on 2014-02-28 16:48:42 ..
Seriously, people the picture was not posted to be cruel (she's so ugly, she's so fat, what's up with his hair) etc. CHILL OUT! There is absolutely no reason to jump all over the OP. If you don't think it is appropriate how about you press the mod button and let the administrators handle it? You are not the people who make the rules on the site, nor will you enforce them, nor will you tell people what they can post or where they can post it. We welcome your opinions, but they should be directed towards US for a dialogue not carried on in a thread like this.

Some members in this forum only want to stir up drama. Some people seem to not be happy on the ballet boards unless they drive other people away from posting, and have something or someone to constantly argue with/about. I don't know if I ever read a pleasant, nice, or joyful response by someone on this thread. I seem to only see rants and putting others down. It really is off putting and we've had MANY complaints about that. You should be more concerned about the type of attitude YOU are personally supplying this forum which is far more detrimental.

Honestly if I saw a picture of myself like this I would have laughed. In fact there are a lot of pictures of me tap dancing where they are completely goofy bad pictures. Perhaps the dancers in the photo also don't take themselves so seriously either.

My suggestion is to worry about what you are posting and not be the judge/jury/executioner about what other people post here, on youtube, instagram etc. Let other people worry what media is out there that contains their image, dancing, their child etc. Let other organizations moderate the content on their forums. Report it, and move on. Not everything that offends you is truly offensive.

OP: Hilarious picture...most people are not offended. Don't take it personally.
On Fri Feb 28, 2014 05:01 PM
Thank you.
By Serendipity42Premium member Comments: 2267, member since Sun Aug 16, 2009
On Fri Feb 28, 2014 07:07 PM
FYI, if it's on public forum, anywhere, it's fair game for sharing. This is why schools now have an annual "be cautious about what you share on the internet" assembly, lecture or course. The people in the original who uploaded it would be fully aware that anyone could view or pull copies and use it for their own purposes.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Fri Feb 28, 2014 09:41 PM
Serendipity42 wrote:

FYI, if it's on public forum, anywhere, it's fair game for sharing. This is why schools now have an annual "be cautious about what you share on the internet" assembly, lecture or course. The people in the original who uploaded it would be fully aware that anyone could view or pull copies and use it for their own purposes.

Yup, I shared some pictures on a forum I frequented. Got in a fight with someone and he took my picture and tried to make a mean meme out of it.

However, this is not like that. This is not meant to be hurtful. I don't think she would appreciate it but it is not something that is insulting her. Overall I agree with imadanseur.
By Storm_Trouper Comments: 808, member since Mon May 21, 2012
On Tue Mar 04, 2014 03:29 AM
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2014-03-04 03:32:46
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2014-03-04 03:39:11
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2014-03-04 03:54:47
vaganovadancealberta.com . . .

This same couple in a 'pseudo-pose' practicing is FEATURED on one of their school's website pages. Why draw comparisons with Paris Opera? Apples and oranges.

She is obviously catching a sidewards glimpse of herself, as her body is oriented away from the mirror (so she manages to not spoil the shot by not turning her head to see herself. Have none of you never done this?! Give her some credit. Gee, two double negatives.)

I cant figure out why the male partners are out of uniform compared to all of the females in the shot who are in uniform.

Taken out of context, this frame, her facial expression appears odd / freakish / grotesque. Some find this 'amusing' while others are 'mortified' that it is being remarked upon.

By definition, isn't bringing attention to an 'amusing' facial expression by extension deriving 'fun' at another person's expense, sharing derision thinly veiled? Or does it depend on what the subject of the shot thinks or cares or even is aware of? This happens to politicians all the time, unflattering mug shots. But they are public figures to whose territory it belongs. (Boy shorts? Underwear? Freudian Slips showing?)

Does the simple fact that a foolish image is found on the WWW make it automatically ok to joke about? (I can think of a lot of images that make it on to the net that are not ok, e.g. the bullied girls who later commit suicide.)

Do you think the people in the shot would have given their permission to appear onlone like this had they known in advance that they would be the potential subject of derision as a result?

I am neither amused nor mortified. It is like a visual fart in some ways. Some snigger. I feel sympathetic. Humor means different things to different people. That's just the world.

I think when people's posts are polite, respectful, well intentioned and honorable (however self righteous or attitudinal) we should be able to debate post appropriateness intelligently since there can be value, insight and learning possible. To only allow for moderators go/no go, rather than allow for thoughtful discussion, seems to lessen the value of fora like this, IMHO.
On Tue Mar 04, 2014 03:47 AM
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2014-03-04 03:51:27
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2014-03-04 04:03:38
I just figured it out. These girls all signed up for the ballet cultural trip to St. P'burg Russia that was organized by the Edmonton Vaganova Society... and are attending a partnering class being given by a Russian academy there. The guys are all local Russian students helping the visiting Canadian girls who are in their uniform.

So no, ex_girl, they are NOT unhappy. (The girls get to visit and pay pilgramage to the home of Vaganova while the Russians are gaining foreign currency. Great Partnership.)

vaganovadancealberta.com . . .

On Tue Mar 04, 2014 03:59 AM
greenpumpkin wrote:

If there's something to be learned from this, it is the use of the eyeballs --- a topic that is important, but I rarely see discussed. Eyeballs should always be in the center of the eyes, looking in the direction the nose is pointed. If not... well, you will get bad pictures like this one. Notice that the dancer in the video skews her eyeballs sideways at least three times.

(Outside this video, the more common eyeball mistake is to look up with your eyeballs instead of your head).

What about eyeballs that roll in the back of dancers' heads?
On Tue Mar 04, 2014 04:07 AM

A more flattering shot.

ReplySendWatch