Forum: Irish / Irish

Wearing my wig
By rocksrock94
On Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:21 PM

Hey guys,

So this is probably pretty simple, I just wanted to get some advice.

I've got a big feis coming up in a few weeks, I'm taking the train there and don't really want to do my wig at the feis, I like to take the time to get it right and we all know how busy the bathrooms at feis can get.

So do you think it would be okay to wear my full wig & headband on the train? Have any of you guys ever gone on public transport while wearing your wig?

Thanks! x

5 Replies to Wearing my wig

re: Wearing my wig
By hannicamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Feb 28, 2014 08:55 PM
I personally haven't, but while on the train to my last feis I saw a girl wearing her wig and headband. So people do.
By GannTheGloriousmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:19 PM
Haven't gone on public transit in a wig, but as a non-driver who rides the bus or train everywhere, I can tell you that People of the Train have seen some fair weirder things than somebody in a curly wig. You might get stares, you might get questions (just smile and politely say that you're off to a dance competition), but again it's honestly not even close to the kind of weird things one sees on public transit.

Now, I have gone out to get food and drinks (well out of the way of a feis venue) while still wearing my bun wig. At most people ask how long it took to do you hair like that, and you just smile.
By LillyBelle
On Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:33 PM
My daughter's only 6, but she's worn her wig on the bus & train when we've gone into town for busking. She gets a few comments and questions, but everyone's been really friendly especially when they find out she's an Irish dancer.
By saoirse3473member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:38 PM
Actually, I wear my wig in public all the time. After a feis or show in particular. I even play a game and see how many funny looks I get - my current score is 37. I think as long your comfortable wearing it (physically) there's no reason you can't wear a wig. And to be honest, i get a lot more compliments than I do strange looks and weird comments. A lot of people are "jealous" of my curls, and often times, because I wear a tiara, they think I've won something. And they always say I look like a doll, which is nice to hear once in a while. So go for it. You have nothing to hide, right? Just own it! ;)
By Kirvin3member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Mar 01, 2014 06:19 AM
I haven't worn my wig on public transport, but I've worn it outside competitions and shows quite a bit. When I compete in Syracuse, NY and go to the mall afterwards (I've taken my wig off - a full wig and 2 hour drive home don't work) I see a bunch of kids still in wig and tiara every time. When I do St Patrick's Day shows there are sometimes a few shows a day, so I just leave the wig on. I also get loads of compliments. As long as you don't fall asleep on the train you'll be fine! Have a great competition!

ReplySendWatch