Forum: Adults / Baby On Board

How to Fire Your Provider?
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:28 PM

Hi DDNland,

Because of a few things that have made me incredibly uneasy giving birth at the birth center I had decided on, I'm on the hunt for a new provider. I'm heavily leaning toward some nurse midwives that work out of a nearby hospital.

Do I owe my soon-to-be former midwife an explanation before she gets a request to release my medical records? I feel as though it would be the decent thing to do, but I wasn't with them for very long and haven't really formed a relationship with any of the staff.

6 Replies to How to Fire Your Provider?

re: How to Fire Your Provider?
By hummingbird
On Fri Feb 28, 2014 01:41 PM
I did a similar thing when I was pregnant with my youngest son, I moved from a particularly bossy surgery to just midwife cover. After the doctor had told me I might just as well go and jump off a cliff as ask for a home delivery I decided it was time to move and I just did it, I didn't offer any explanation and I wasn't asked for any either.

I don't feel you owe any explanation to your provider, go with you gut and just talk to the new team. This might be a very simplistic way of looking at it, but do you tell your grocery store when you decide to shop elsewhere?
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Feb 28, 2014 08:50 PM
I think it really depends on what your issues with them are. Is it just a personality conflict? If so, you don't owe them am explanation. If it is something that you feel could affect other patients (risky practices, poor bedside manner, being unprofessional, etc) then I think it would probably be best to let them know what the issue is in hopes they fix it.
On Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:31 AM
Thanks ladies. You've both voiced the arguments I'm stuck between.

Part of it is the lack of taking responsibility for an error they made. I was supposed to have a routine ultrasound at 20 weeks, and they forgot to schedule me on the day the ultrasound tech was there and I was under the impression that they had scheduled it since it's rolled in with the rest of the fees.

I had called ahead a few days before my appointment to double check that I was indeed getting an ultrasound and never hears back from them. When I went into my appointment, I was told that I can wait another month for when their sonogram tech comes back, or I could go to an outside office and pay to have it done.

During this appointment, I only spoke with the apprentice midwife. My actual midwife was busy with another couple, and I ended up being shooed out of the office without once seeing my midwife. I know for a fact that it is illegal for the apprentice to take vitals/see patients without a certified midwife present.

When I got home, I checked their website to verify that the apprentice was NOT certified (I was hoping that I had just gotten names/faces mixed up and the lady that did my appointment was, indeed, certified), and found out that they had done ultrasounds for all their patients that needed them 2 days before my appointment.

So between them forgetting about me, then putting it on MY head to pay another substantial amount for an ultrasound that I already paid for with them, and then them cutting my appointment short without even letting me see the certified midwife... I'm done.

My biggest problem with not having my ultrasound when I was told (and according to their policy) is that a mid-term ultrasound is important in diagnosing abnormalities in the baby. Waiting another month will put me at 26 weeks and the baby will be too big to be able to clearly see all of the things a sonogram technician needs to see. Finding out the gender would be nice, but it's a secondary perk after making sure I have a healthy baby.

So aside from the midwife not being present (which they might be able to rebuff by saying "she was in the next room" if I filed a complaint with the state), they've technically done nothing black-and-white wrong. There's just no way in hell I'm going to entrust my life and the life of my baby to people that can neither get their act together or care enough about me to make sure that proper protocol is followed.
By hummingbird
On Mon Mar 03, 2014 01:18 PM
Then you need to phone up and ask to talk to the facility manager and put your case to them, just as you have done here to us.

In my case it was obvious from very early on that I couldn't work with my assigned doctor and we had polarized ideas as to how my pregnancy was going to progress.
On Mon Mar 03, 2014 02:07 PM
The problem is the Midwife IS the facility manager. She's just about as high up as you can go. It is HER birth center and she is completely in charge.
On Fri Mar 28, 2014 09:22 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice!

My former midwife (the one that runs the birth center) finally got around to taking a look at the pile of faxes they had received and found my request to release my medical records (yes, a month later). She called and asked for the reason I was leaving their care, and I stated my case as matter-of-factly as I could.
She tried to convince me to stay, and I finally ended up having to pull the "Well, thanks for calling but I've made up my mind. Have a good day" to end the conversation.

I realize that 1. I really DO appreciate the clinical part of midwifery, and that 2. I was spoiled by the midwife I used with the girls because she was INCREDIBLY thorough and professional, yet still warm.

Thanks again for the input. It seems as though worrying about contacting THEM wasn't a problem, but remembering to be frank (yet not rude) in explaining why I left their care definitely helped.

ReplySendWatch