Forum: Irish / Irish

Shipping dress - advice needed
By irishsaoirsemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Mar 01, 2014 06:19 AM

I have a buyer of my dress. The question is, how on earth do I pack it ?
I dont have any "original" box of it, as I picked it up on a feis directly from a dressmaker when I got it. I only have a dressbag.

Im trying to organize if someone could pick up the dress and bring it to the buyer, but I am not sure if it will be doable, so I need to know how to pack it properly,so it doesnt get damaged on the way. It will be big parcel, as I can't fold the skirt.
Thanks for the help :)

8 Replies to Shipping dress - advice needed

re: Shipping dress - advice needed
By reelgirly
On Sat Mar 01, 2014 09:47 AM
Packing and shipping stores sell boxes for framed art. These are sturdy boxes and come in many sizes. Google "framed art shipping boxes." You should be able to find them in your area.

Fold your dress and measure the dimensions (length x width) so you know what size box to purchase. I use bubble wrap around the dress, then slide the dress into a large trash bag. Snug the bag around the dress so it is a tidy package. Slide it into the box. Use additional bubble wrap or trash bags if you feel the dress shifts around too much. So many methods, but this works for me.
By JenBlackerbymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:22 AM
UPS had some really nice white preassembled boxes (pizza box style with the lid that comes down) that are the perfect shape for a dress. Flat and wide. THey were about $5 each and cost less to ship bc they are flatter than anything else.
By reelgirly
On Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:32 AM
Nice tip! I'll remember that next time around.
By JenBlackerbymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:46 AM
I also wrap my dresses in a trash bag. Since I'm all official now, I use pretty clear ones. I used to use whatever was laying around. Stick it in, tape it closed. In case the box gets dropped in water or rained on, the dress will be fairly protected :) And you can stuff old grocery bags to fill up the extra space.
By reelgirly
On Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:09 PM
Home Depot carries 55 gallon clear trash bags. Their own brand, HDX. They are PERFECT! Large enough to slide the dress in flat, then fold it. Protects the dress from rubbing on itself during shipping. This is why I love DDN! Some many great tips!
By FuzzyLlama
On Sat Mar 01, 2014 02:05 PM
I always do it like this and have never had a problem..
www.dance-again.com . . .
By Tansey
On Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:25 PM
The last time I bought a used solo dress for my dd, it came packed exactly as shown in Fuzzy Llama's link. It arrived in perfect condition. Several people I know who didn't want to pack their dress quite that flat have used the large mirror boxes you can buy at places like U-Haul and most self-storage facilities.
By irishsaoirsemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Apr 01, 2014 02:21 PM
Thanks for all your help. Dress packed and sent, already delivered to a new owner :)

ReplySendWatch