Forum: Adults / College

College
Getting a second degree? Advice needed.
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Sat Mar 01, 2014 09:42 AM

1. I have a great community college near me that I already have an A.A from.
2 I have a BS degree in Business.

I want to work more with children in public schools, preschools and possibly become a teacher. I currently teach dance everyday for at least 4 hours a day, and I absolutely LOVE teaching and children.

In order to work at schools, I would need some sort of child development degree or in a related field.

Should I look into masters programs, go back for another College degree, or go to my community college for a degree? I live in California. I don't even know where to start.

9 Replies to Getting a second degree? Advice needed.

re: Getting a second degree? Advice needed.
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:02 AM
Where I live, when you already have a BA or BS you can take a two-year after-degree program to get your BEd and teach. It just has the actual education classes without any extras and then your professional terms (two student teaching periods at different schools.) Here, as long as you have enough courses in your BS or BA to count for an education major and minor (like with what I took, I could have Spanish or French as either and also a history minor if I wanted.)

I don't know about California, but here that would be the fastest way to a bachelor of education, which is what teachers need here.
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 14381, member since Mon Aug 11, 2003
On Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:18 AM
I'm pretty sure that most states have a program like what Megan mentioned. There are schools here that will let you do a special program to get a bachelor's of education on top of your other degree ASAP, within two years or less, so you can get into a classroom quickly. You can also get a master's in education from some schools with an unrelated undergrad degree. I have two friends who did that as well. Definitely research what your state offers! You could also look into Teach for America if that's up your alley at all.
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:00 AM
I'm not an expert on what you would need to have in order to teach in California, but in Arizona you have to have an education degree. It would probably take you 2 years (if you were here) with the other credits from the A.A. transferring, then you have to do student teaching etc. A child development degree would only allow you to work in a pres-school here which equates to minimum wage.
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8600, member since Thu Apr 17, 2003
On Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:52 AM
Edited by SaraTheGrouch (63195) on 2014-03-01 12:22:22
Check with California's department of education. Each state has different requirements for teachers. For instance, teaching early childhood ed may have different requirements than teaching elementary ed. In Louisiana, you don't need to have a degree in education to teach, but you do need to have a teaching certificate, which is a non-degree program. In fact, where I went to undergrad (ginormous public university, think UCLA), they didn't even have an education major. You had to major in a specific subject and minor in education.

My two cents, though, get a masters in education and take whatever course you need to take to get a teaching certificate and be done with it. Getting another associates/another bachelors would be a big waste of your time and money. Why go backwards? Especially when many of the people you'll be competing with in the job market have a masters degree.
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:11 PM
Sara, she may need the bachelor of education before she could even apply for the masters. At my university, that would be the case.
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8600, member since Thu Apr 17, 2003
On Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:18 PM
I'm fairly certain that, in the US, you don't need to have a bachelors of ed to get a masters of ed. The handful of people I know who have their masters of ed (Ed.M and Ed.D) didn't get their bachelors in education or anything even remotely related to education.
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Sat Mar 01, 2014 05:41 PM
Most places, you can get into a masters without having a bachelors in education. You may need to take some more classes though. I have looked into it for myself, and since I minored in history, if I just take three more specific classes I will be qualified to teach history once I finish the Masters, whereas if I don't take the classes I can only qualify to be a general humanities teacher.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Sat Mar 01, 2014 05:51 PM
My sister teaches, and doesn't have a degree in education. Her actual Bachelor's is in Math, she went afterward and got the certifications for teaching. She's since gotten her Masters, in Curriculum Design, or something to that effect.

My mom teaches too, but her degree is in education, so that's different.

The grade you want to teach will kind of vary what you're going to do going forward, but you're likely staring down the barrel of a masters degree.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Sat Mar 01, 2014 09:26 PM
Do not get another associates degree. It would not be very useful.

What are you wanting to teach?

ReplySendWatch