Forum: Irish / Irish

Need encouragement
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Mar 06, 2014 08:19 PM

I am 3 weeks into healing from a broken 5th metatarsal. Seems to be healing okay, though still sore. Wont be able to do any dancing at all for at least 3 (maybe more) weeks. It's just weighing on me today.

I am doing exercises everyday for the rest of me, and stretching. I can start to transition from the short walking boot to a post op shoe, which is great. But I am still bummed. I can actually see that my right calf is smaller than my left now. :(

Sooooo, anyone who has had this injury, and I know a lot of IDers have, tell me your encouraging, everything will be just great, stories. I need to hear them!

14 Replies to Need encouragement

re: Need encouragement (karma: 1)
By JenBlackerbymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Mar 06, 2014 08:39 PM
it will be just fine! Just keep taking care of it! I broke my 5th met and 2 other girls at my school did. It comes back FAST. Once you're released to ease into dance, if you work hard, your muscles POP back! :) and surprisingly, you don't forget technique. I think half way thru is the worst time. You've been there so long and it feels so far away, but just a few more weeks! And good job for doing the exercises! :)
re: Need encouragement
By boleyngrrl
On Thu Mar 06, 2014 08:47 PM
I feel you. Last year this time (like I think a year back from Saturday) I was just coming of a broken 5th metatarsal on my right foot (I think I was a week out of the boot). I was practicing at home and I rolled my left foot and fell. Broke the 5th metatarsal on my left foot. I was in a big boot for a little more than 2 months total. About a month on each foot. (On the plus side, my atrophy was so similar by the end of it it looked sort of normal lol)

Don't be bummed. Atrophy is easily fixed. It will come back so fast when you start working it. I remember after my surgery my right calf was so small--I think I had been in a boot around 6-7 weeks when I started PT (was in a boot for a little longer but starting PT helped). It came back in less time than it took to get that small. It will go quick.

I know it's so hard around this season--can you maybe be an announcer at shows to stay involved? Once you're back you'll be stronger than ever, especially if you go to PT. Are you icing?

When I'm out, I doodle all the time. Not well. I stink at drawing. Just dance doodle. I have dresses all over my notes, different knots, written sample steps, random ghillied legs. It helps. You might want to try that! I'd say you could redo your dress but I know you've already done that and it looks spectacular. :) Make a list of things you'd like to improve when you get back. Do some ab work (You can do one-footed planks. Or planks in the boot). Mess around with different ways of doing your hair and makeup for your next feis or performance. Just lots of stuff to distract yourself your injury but stay involved with dance. Paint your nails in fun St. Paddy's day manner.

I hope this helps and you feel better soon!!!!!! Feel free to PM if you ever need to rant.
On Thu Mar 06, 2014 08:56 PM
^^ yeah! I'm pretty sure I used fake tanner and wore poodle socks in my boot. Just because it made me feel good! :)
By Claddagh24
On Fri Mar 07, 2014 05:44 AM
Injuries are awful :(. I've had a 3rd metatarsal fracture. It took me months to recover, but mostly because my high pain threshold meant I didn't know I'd fractured it in the first place and then when I realised, was a really bad judge of how much I needed to baby it because level of pain was useless as a warning. So, the fact that you've caught this much earlier and that you were in a moon boot straight away is really good. Though it did shrink my calf the boot really helped me.

The key is to do everything your physio/podiatrist tells you and take things gradually when you start back - it ends up being quicker in the long run than doing too much too soon and then having to restart the recovery. In the meantime mental practice and 'finger dancing' will help keep those mirror neurons going for when you're ready to dance again :). Hang in there, it does get better. All the best with your recovery.
By blondcat
On Fri Mar 07, 2014 07:03 AM
Although I haven't broken any bones while dancing, I did sprain my ankle badly enough that I was in the "boot" for 8 weeks. What helped me the most was when I got clearance to "chair dance" (do steps while seated) without the boot at around week 2. I learned a whole set of reel steps that way. So, when you get the OK to wear the surgical shoe, ask if you can do any thing like "chair dancing" or non-weight bearing exercises.

On the upsided, my second feis back, I got a first in my reel, to move that last dance out of novice.
re: Need encouragement (karma: 1)
By Realtreble
On Fri Mar 07, 2014 07:06 AM
I know you asked for posts from dancers who have "been there," but I'm going to add advice from a family member who's been there. Remember your family is a great source of support and help. Let the people who love you give massages, offer resistance during isometric exercises, tell you jokes, bring you ice bags for the swelling and generally lighten your load.

This, too, shall pass.
By shamrock28
On Fri Mar 07, 2014 09:11 AM
When I sprained my ankle the first time (and there have been a few since...), I was so crushed that I'd be out of dance for a couple months, lose my momentum, etc. I still went to classes to watch and stay on top of things, but after a couple weeks I started to appreciate the extra free time to do things I usually had to skip. I remember reading A LOT (which I love). I got to see friends, spend more time with family. And it was really nice!

It's hard to go from dance mode to rest mode without a say in the matter, but my advice is to take some time to catch up on things that normally fall by the wayside to make room for dance. It can be hard to be at classes, shows, and competitions rooting for friends and not dancing yourself. I think that's what inspires us to try and push back in too quickly. So do what you need to stay in shape and stay involved, but don't feel bad replacing your dance time with other fun activities in the meantime.

Best wishes for a strong recovery!
By Allymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Mar 21, 2014 07:36 PM
I'm about to compete in my first feis back after fracturing my fifth metatarsal. It's be really really hard, not going to lie, but you CAN get back. Just make sure your expectations are realistic.
Keep doing your PT!!! Stretching and try to use an exercise bike to keep your stamina up.
You can do this, just keep working and rehabing.
On Fri Mar 21, 2014 09:11 PM
Oooh are we comparing X-rays. I love looking at foot X-rays! (Weirdo...) I was about a sliver away from needing surgery :-/ so yours should heal faster than mine did. I was cleared to dance around 12 weeks.
By LoriCook
On Sat Mar 22, 2014 02:18 AM
I won't show you the picture I call Frankentoe! 6 months later and my foot doesn't even hurt after a long practice or 6 mile walk. It stopped hurting around 7 weeks. I thought it would hurt, or at least ache forever but no, I am as good as new and hope you will be too! Keep exercising the parts you can. I just bought an adult sized hula hoop. Think about fun things you can do while you are healing. I was soooo bored. When walking is a chore it is hard to get out to socialize. Invite people over, do some crafts, play games, etc. Take advantage of the rest break, soon you will be busting your butt to get back in shape! Hang in there.
By boleyngrrl
On Sat Mar 22, 2014 08:00 AM
^Hula hooping is a great idea!

Just make sure you control it with your core and not your whole body because if you roll to the outside of your foot while it's healing it won't feel good. :)
On Sat Mar 22, 2014 09:40 AM
Edited by Hop_123 (173279) on 2014-03-22 09:45:09
Edited by Hop_123 (173279) on 2014-03-22 09:46:49
WOAH BIG FOOT! sorry about that!

hahaha on posting X-rays! heres mine!
Your fractures look a little more spectacular than mine, but healing can be tricky where my fracture is due to blood flow in the bone in that area. Here's to fabulous blood flow!!

Boleyngrrl, what a series of unfortunate events for you. That must have been really tough.

LoriCook, it was encouraging to hear that your foot doesn't hurt anymore. I keep hearing about people who have pain years later.

BlondCat, wow on placing in your second feis back!

I have been going to class and chair dancing. I learned a new HP that way :) I can wear a post op shoe at home now. and I have been WALKING thru my steps (with the boot on) just to keep them in the memory banks. I am also doing theraband exercises, leg exercises and crunch ladders.

I am also back to working full time which is a very active job. X-rays next week, then back to ortho the following Monday. That will be 6 weeks minus one day. Wish me luck!!

edit: ps, I think it also shows one of my sesamoid bones in pieces (little round bones near the big toe. Thank goodness for Dr Jill's dance pads!)
By Kirvin3member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Mar 22, 2014 07:41 PM
Yes, the PT part of me said "Holy sesemoid bones there lady!" LOL. Yeah, you did a bit of a number on it but I'm VERY glad to hear you're doing well.

On a slightly related note, I danced at the West Virginia Feis today. One of the artwork competition entries was a photo titles "Irish Dancing Footwear" - it was a picture of a ghillie, a hard shoe, and.... a walking boot! I LAUGHED *so* hard.
On Sat Mar 22, 2014 08:26 PM
Kirvin, that is hysterical about the photo tiles! so true!

I guess when I thought I had sesmoiditis a few years ago, it was a wee bit more than that. Guess it shows what the appropriate modifications can overcome.

ReplySendWatch