Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

Should I do it on pointe? Or flat?
By MeaMSBMD
On Fri Mar 07, 2014 04:36 PM

Hi, my French teacher asked me if I would perform a variation for the French honor society's induction ceremony. I'm not in the honor society, as I'm a sophomore and ineligible, but it sounds fun, so I think I'll do it. I'm doing Swanhilda, act 1 variation, from Coppelia, as I know it best, but I'm not sure whether to wear flat or pointe shoes. Usually, I'd be more comfortable just doing it on flat, but this particular variation feels more natural on pointe. But, it will be on the school auditorium stage, which is black-painted wood and we wouldn't be able to put Marley on top. I'm worried about my shoes turning black and the stage being safe to dance on pointe.

7 Replies to Should I do it on pointe? Or flat?

re: Should I do it on pointe? Or flat?
By SilverGreyDancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Mar 07, 2014 07:22 PM
Yes your shoe will turn black! Most stage floors are painted with a flat black paint. the flat black paint will provide a lot of traction so you probably won't slip. However you should check the stage floor before accepting this honor.
By greenpumpkinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Mar 10, 2014 01:31 PM
Definitely do it on flat. Too many risks en pointe in such an uncontrolled environment.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Mar 10, 2014 02:22 PM
It will get black on your shoes for sure. I know from experience. I college we never rented or own marley for the stage, and the theatre people always painted it for their shows and then back to black for ours. All of my shoes :(

It would probably not be slippery, but you could always bring rosin.
By greenpumpkinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Mar 10, 2014 07:40 PM
It's not just the risk of falling. In my experience, it's hard to really be properly warmed up and prepared in this kind of environment. It's not the same as dancing with your school/company and having just had a pre-performance company class. So there's more risk of sickled non-pointed feet, bent legs, lost turnout, etc. --- as well as potential risk of injury at times. It is unlikely to be your best performance. That's why I think it's better to make these kinds of things simpler, rather than more complex.
By toji_667member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Apr 30, 2014 05:31 PM
I know a lot of people have said that you should do it on flat, but honestly, I didn't have the luxury of a Marley floor for most of my dance career and I turned out fine... as long as you warm yourself up responsibly, and have rosin, you'd be fine. If it feels most natural en pointe, you'd be fighting it the whole time in flat shoes and that doesn't make for a great show.
By DDSI
On Thu May 01, 2014 11:50 AM
I love pointe, but I suggest doing it flat. You are not being paid, one injury could put you out for weeks and for what?? As most in the audience will be non-dancers, they will be impressed no matter what.
By purpledancer03
On Fri Jun 06, 2014 02:30 PM
I would do it on flat.

ReplySendWatch