Forum: Irish / Irish

Bling my dress! (karma: 1)
By onegirlbandmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Mar 09, 2014 08:33 PM

Hello Bling Masters!

I am getting my dress ready for Worlds. Can you talented folks help me out figuring out where to add more stones? It currently has AB crystals on it. My teacher suggested more 'tear drop' shaped bling.

Get creative! I am open to suggestions!

Thanks!

14 Replies to Bling my dress!

re: Bling my dress!
By saoirse3473member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Mar 09, 2014 08:43 PM
I would add more crystals to the neckline (where you have some already) - maybe put some large teardrop crystals there pointing upwards. I would also line the white outline in some clear crystals so that it pops more, and take some purple crystals and scatter them on the light purple area of your dress, as well as at the bottom of the skirt. Personally, i would leave the velvet area pretty bare. It's such a rich velvet that large amounts of crystals can take away from that. If you want, i can create a "map" for you that could show you where I'm talking about (if you don't understand).

Hope this helped!
On Sun Mar 09, 2014 08:51 PM
Maps are always helpful! I am a blinging noob... Thanks for your input!
By IrishLizzymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Mar 10, 2014 07:45 AM
I made two "maps" focusing on the neckline. Sorry for my terrible teardrop drawings. Clearly I am not too skilled in photoshop! haha. But those weird looking blobs are supposed to be teardrops :P
By monkeybiz329member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Mar 10, 2014 09:23 AM
I like IrishLizzy's idea, and I would also add some jet black crystals to the velvet, just a gross or so scattered around. They will be very subtle until you're under the lights and then POW! You just glow.
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:59 AM
If this is CLRG worlds, I would definitely do Lizzy's first neckline option and the black (or even deep purple) on the velvet. I would also add AB crystals (or possibly even a dark crystal) to the embroidery to outline the appliques... The white is going to blend in with the purple in a big way if it's not outlined in some way.
By byudawn
On Mon Mar 10, 2014 02:37 PM
^^^^I agree with the darker crystals to outline maybe, most likely on the outside of the white embroidery....I have finally realized that 2 light colors together will not show up well on stage (unless you're closer up) as we had gold on pink, and then a yellow on light purple--neither which showed up well, but when I outlined the latter with bright purple it finally popped :) Beautiful dress!!!!! Add lots of AB pears where you can as well!
On Mon Mar 10, 2014 06:50 PM
Thanks for all the tips!

Beth, those drops are perfect! :P I appreciate your maps. I am leaning towards pattern 1.

Yes, I will be at the CLRG Worlds. The picture I posted is actually from last year's Worlds in Boston.

Should I use really small crystals for outlining? The embroidery is quite skinny. Dark purple or a lighter purple , but one that is still darker than the light fabric?

Is there any where else that I could stick the drops? Should I add any under the bolero jacket?

I keep going back and forth about adding darker crystals to the velvet. Maybe I should add some in between the pleats?

Who knew this was going to be so stressful....
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Mar 10, 2014 07:56 PM
If you're looking to visualize how much of a difference adding crystals make--my sister loaned out her dress to a dancer at our school to wear to Worlds and as a thank you she added onto the already existing stones on the dress. The skirt is black velvet like yours and the added crystals are all AB. If you don't want to go that bold on the skirt I would add crystals in Jet, but IMO you're gonna wanna add crystals either way!
On Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:31 PM
How about this?

The pear shaped stones will be Crystal AB and the smaller round stones will be Crystal. This is the scheme that is already on my dress, so I figured I would stay with that.

I added stones all along the embroidery on the top part of the dress, including the shoulders and the upper sleeves. I attempted to do an outline, but it was a HUGE undertaking, and I don't know if I will ever have the patience to complete that!

I love my rich purple velvet, and I think I have decided to leave it alone for the most part.

@TheMidlakeMuse: I love the added stones on your sister's skirt. I don't think it looks as good on my dress as I am lacking a belt that helps to define the bodice from the skirt.
By JenBlackerbymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:41 PM
the stones you have between the pleats I think I would put centered on the pleats. I've seen this style pleated dress with stoning like that and it looks really nice! Also, you can always lay the stones on it and mess with it before glueing. And there is no right and wrong when it comes to stoning. Just pick something you like and go all out! :)
re: Bling my dress! (karma: 1)
By rosalinde
On Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:57 AM
Edited by rosalinde (213002) on 2014-03-11 00:58:03
Here is my suggestion. I used completely wrong colours to make them obvious (white dots on white fabric wouldn't stand out), but obviously you'd go for crystal or crystal AB stones. The red dots are round crystals (ss30 or bigger), and the green dashes would be teardrop stones.

Oh, and I only did half the dress because of time restraints, but you'd bling out the other half as well of course.
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Mar 12, 2014 09:28 AM
^Without reading your comments, I saw the map and thought "Well... That's unique, but I don't think it'd work..."

I was very confused for a moment. Now it makes perfect sense :)
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Mar 17, 2014 07:29 AM
Here's my two takes
By eatsleepjigmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Mar 31, 2014 02:50 PM
This is what I came up with. I realized that the "curls" on the bodice embroidery are already stoned, so I left those alone. Because you already have clear stones, I think you should stick with those for the round and teardrop crystals on the bodice and sleeves and the teardrops on the purple velvet. But, for the rest of the velvet, I would go with dark purple crystals and scatter them, and then line the bottom of the panels with the same dark crystals.

ReplySendWatch