Forum: Adults / Work/Employment

Work/Employment
I've accepted a job! (karma: 5)
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:30 AM

It's been the craziest week ever, and I got not one but two offers from phone interviews. Both jobs were in the DC area where I used to live. So I flew down to DC the next day to meet with both companies. I had an idea of which one I liked better before I got there, but then was quite torn after meeting with both companies. The company that was my second choice was doing a lot to woo me, but they almost seemed desperate and really stressed out. They had a great location and many of them were very nice, but I just wasn't totally feeling it. It was very similar to my last job, digital advertising for mostly political clients (not as high profile as my last job).

So that became a big part of the decision is if I wanted a "promotion" from last job in terms of responsibilities or if I wanted to do something different. Work/life balance was important to me too, I was concerned about burning out. The pay for both was similar, the second choice job actually paid a bit more but the taxes, benefits and commute cost would have been higher too so it was about equal in that regard. The job I chose is in Northern Virginia, but accessible by DC metro. It will be more writing intensive and I've always liked writing better than tech based tasks.

I'm a bit nervous, and was really torn about making the right decision especially since the 2nd choice company was rushing me to make a decision and move ASAP. But in the the end, I went with the first choice job which was my gut feeling after the phone interview. Now that I've told all my friends I'm more excited about it. And hey if it's not for me, I'm still young, I have to remember that nothing has to be forever. Being out a year has done a number on my confidence so once I'm there and move into my new apartment and stuff, I think everything will be great!

Thanks so much DDN for listening to all my job search venting. It's been a tough year, but things are looking up. Good luck to everyone who is looking for new positions too, feel free to vent to me or discuss whenever you want, I feel like an expert on the subject now lol.

BTW, I got the initial interview for this job by chance networking. I had to do a project in grad school where I had to do informational interviews with people. I was having a hard time finding people to talk to, so I looked for people who went to my college who lived in the area. This was two years ago and he's sent me a bunch of jobs to apply for since then. And the other job I applied for using Indeed (though be careful with that site as I did experience some fake job listings on there).

9 Replies to I've accepted a job!

re: I've accepted a job!
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:49 AM
Awesome!
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:11 PM
Congratulations! I'm so happy for you!
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3627, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Tue Mar 11, 2014 06:40 PM
Congrats!

Personally, I've found gut feel to generally be correct.
By Tansey Comments: 2367, member since Fri Mar 27, 2009
On Tue Mar 11, 2014 08:22 PM
Yay! So happy for you! Enjoy the return to your DC life!
By Amyliamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4405, member since Fri Apr 11, 2003
On Tue Mar 11, 2014 08:52 PM
I saw on fb today! Welcome back to the DMV! We definitely need to get a drink or something when you get back here, I was sad that you left before we got a chance to meet up last time!
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Tue Mar 11, 2014 09:25 PM
Thanks everyone! And yes a DDN meet up is def in order.
re: I've accepted a job! (karma: 1)
On Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:36 PM
I start tomorrow! Well since it's past midnight technically, later today. I'm gonna have to work on adjusting my sleep schedule. This first week is actually going to be kind of weird because not all of my background check stuff hasn't come in yet so i can't actually stay in the office. I go in tomorrow and meet everyone and get my computer and stuff and then I'll be doing online training either from the corporate office the next town over or at home. So I guess it's a nice way to break into it but it might be hard to stay motivated with training while at home by myself. I think if I can I'll go to the corporate office for at least tomorrow afternoon in case I need help with anything and if it goes smoothly then do it from home the rest of the week. Wish me luck! :)
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6818, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Tue Apr 01, 2014 08:31 AM
Good Luck.

Of course the obvious advantage to starting a new job on April Fools Day is that no matter what happens, you can claim, "April Fool!"

I wish you the very best
xoxo

Keep On Dancing*
On Tue Apr 01, 2014 07:57 PM
The joke's on me and my sleep schedule. But luckily it wasn't a joke when an email went around at 4 saying a frozen yogurt place was giving out free large cups. I might not have made it until 6 without the little field trip outside, and the sugar. :) I ended up being able to stay ay my worksite as a "visitor", while they set up my computer and I just read informational brochures and some other people's work all day. The rest of the week I'll be doing online training at the corporate office. I thought I would be able to do this at home. That office will take longer for me to get to but that might be good on getting up a little earlier and getting on a schedule. The people I'll be sharing a workspace with seem nice. They aren't all on my team, and at least one doesn't even work for my company just the same government department. I thought that I might be older than a lot of them when I started but two are married with houses (though they still could be my age) and another seemed shocked when at one point I mentioned graduating college in 2010 (brought up because her cousin went to the same school in 2004). One woman was clearly older than the rest. Not that it really matters but it was interesting that the demographic wasn't what I expected. Probably because the room reminded me of the intern room at my last job which was lots of fun since everyone was in school (and even then I was the oldest) and my last job was full of single new graduates. One guy and I (who I think is my age based on how we were talking about college and past jobs) share a similar commute so I got to know him more on the way home and he seemed nice. Hopefully step 1 of the security clearance (the suitability check) goes through this week so I can work onsite and apply for a badge. I had to call people to let me in after going to lunch or the bathroom which was kind of annoying. So it was good to meet everyone and I wish I could stay on site to get to know people better but hopefully it'll be through next week, if not then I might be able to telework. But overall it was a good first day :)

ReplySendWatch