Forum: Advice / Beauty

Beauty
If I was going to have to tell you about a lipstick in writing...
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Wed Mar 12, 2014 09:35 PM
Locked by Theresa (28613) on 2015-10-04 19:37:34 Locked!

...what would you want to know?

I've taken several stabs at starting a beauty blog, and I think I'm going to go for it again. If I had to tell you about a lipstick using only words (and a few pictures, I can take pictures...), what would you want to know? Talking about how much I liked it seems to kind of miss the point, so I thought I'd take it to the people. What do you need to know? :D

15 Replies to If I was going to have to tell you about a lipstick in writing...

re: If I was going to have to tell you about a lipstick in writing...
By slice Comments: 1247, member since Fri Oct 15, 2004
On Wed Mar 12, 2014 09:48 PM
- What application is like: is it something you have to build or does the color of the tube match what goes on your lips in the first go; is it best to use a brush or can it come straight from the tube

- Texture: creamy, glossy, too dry, too slick

- Color: does it stay true to the package/tube color? or is it duller/bolder than you might expect

- Longevity: how long until you have to reapply? does it dry out fast or leave stains on everything your lips touch. does it dry out too fast and leave your lips cracked

- Pairings: is it fine on it's own, or go better/is enhanced with a gloss; would you recommend lip liner or not; is moisturizer beforehand a necessity etc.

- Recommended looks: how would you overall wear your makeup with this lipstick? can it go with a bold eye, or would it go best with a neutral/natural eye. is this more a daytime/nighttime color

- Dupes: Could it be a substitute for a similar color from a more expensive brand?

just off the top of my head these are some things I'd want to know.
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6414, member since Sat May 15, 2004
On Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:14 PM
COST

Does it bleed? Does it come off on your significant other? ;)
By lildancergirl22 Comments: 320, member since Mon Mar 01, 2004
On Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:46 PM
Will my hair get stuck to my lips?

(I realize probably more applicable for glosses)
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7921, member since Thu Mar 31, 2005
On Thu Mar 13, 2014 05:47 AM
Smell or scent. Not all lipsticks are created equal, lol! I know, I'm strange. But if it smells strange I can't wear it.

Teeth ruboff. Does it hurt or help lip dryness, things like that.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Thu Mar 13, 2014 06:50 AM
Thanks guys! This actually helps a lot!

Smell or scent. Not all lipsticks are created equal, lol! I know, I'm strange. But if it smells strange I can't wear it.

No, I get that one. It's part of the reason I quit wearing Mary Kay lip stuff. I can taste it! There's some stuff where a taste is to be expected (lip balms, mostly...), but if I'm not supposed to be tasting it, I don't want to taste it!
By Tansey Comments: 2367, member since Fri Mar 27, 2009
On Thu Mar 13, 2014 08:48 AM
The texture and taste are the big ones for me. Next would be how long it lasts, whether it bleeds, available colors and price.
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12490, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:01 AM
Maybe do some scales for all of the attributes? Definitely include stickiness factor. I hate stickiness. If a lipstick rated high on that I would def want to know.
By Kettricken Comments: 174, member since Thu Jun 07, 2012
On Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:12 AM
I need to know how long it will last, and if it is sticky. My husband complains soooo much if whatever is on my lips is sticky. I also hate to reapply, so long lasting stuff is important to me.
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:20 PM
I think having friends of different skintones to model it for photos. A person who is white with cool undertones is going to look different because I have warm undertones and asian coloring.
On Thu Mar 13, 2014 07:52 PM
^Yeah, I can see where that'd actually be a really cool feature, but I also live in a *really* white area. For a hint, my mom once called the town my dance studio is in "Pleasantville", like the movie. If that's a tip off for you. lol...
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Fri Mar 14, 2014 04:34 AM
But a blog can be read by anyone anywhere in the world, not just near where you live.
By seannettaPremium member Comments: 2312, member since Fri Jul 28, 2006
On Fri Mar 14, 2014 07:25 AM
^I think her point was that there's no one with different skin tones nearby on whom to test the colours. But one way to get around this is to just speak about how the colour works on skin tones in general. For example, I read some beauty blogs that say stuff like, "I have cool-toned, very pale skin, and this colour washed me out -- may be best for warm-toned skins." Or whatever.

I like to see good-quality colour swatches whenever possible -- I read beauty blogs for reviews to figure out in advance whether I'm interested in a product, and swatches really help.
On Mon May 26, 2014 08:26 PM
Louise wrote:

But a blog can be read by anyone anywhere in the world, not just near where you live.

No I get that, sure. But I have extremely limited access to people of different ethnicities to be able to try the stuff on them. I'd have to just hazard guesses at whether stuff would look good on different people.

So I put a blog up, and I've got a handful of posts. Check it out - allthegoodblogsgone.blogspot.com. Most of the posts are about nail polish colors, because they're the easiest thing to develop a one off opinion of, LOL...I feel like I am getting the rhythm down now, and getting a better feeling for it. I did a post this week where I tested a "makeup artists trick" from Pinterest, that I was kind of surprised with the results of...
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Mon May 26, 2014 09:36 PM
Wow, you must really live in a white town :P

I read your blog and I like it. My favorite part was the eyebrow threading thing and the husband, I could totally tell the difference, I feel you on that one!

As for the polishes, I really like how you showed the difference between a double coat and a single coat, I think you should do that for each one, because that was super super helpful.

Would you consider doing dupes for " expensive" brands like Mac? Is there a way to swatch the color, take a photo, and find a cheaper drugstore duplicate? I am not sure if Mac counters will allow you to take photos without buying the products though....but you can always swipe on arm and take a photo out of eyesight or something haha
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Mon May 26, 2014 10:56 PM
^^ as someone with green eyes, I've known the purple trick forever. (ditto reddish-brown mascara). Browns and golds for blue eyes, etc

I'd love to see some more Pinterest - to - reality tricks. There are some cool looks on Pinterest, but they never look easy to translate to reality. :)

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed