Forum: Irish / Irish - Adult Dancers

I'm coming back to Irish Dance!
By Snaqueb
On Sun Mar 16, 2014 03:07 PM

Hi Everyone!

So, I've made the decision to re-join the Irish Dancing world! I took a break to have some babies and now it's time for me to start dancin' again :) I've done tap and bellydance since I quit Irish, but it's just not the same!

I've been off for about 4 years and I'm REALLY RUSTY. I can't start proper classes until September (budget and time restrictions won't allow it) so in the mean time I've subscribed to Diddlyi and am planning on building a floor in my basement.

All I need now is a little encouragement... I'm feeling a bit bummed because I got quite a bit *ahem* heavier since last time I danced, and feel like my legs are made of lead. For some reason I'm also feeling the "adults aren't supposed to dance" pressure... not quite sure why though. I'd love to feis again at some point, but feel like I "shouldn't." Maybe I'll feel differently when I get back into it!

14 Replies to I'm coming back to Irish Dance!

re: I'm coming back to Irish Dance!
By sarahrID
On Sun Mar 16, 2014 08:41 PM
Congrats on making the decision to come back! Try not to feel discouraged - I'm sure dancing will help you get into better shape, and there are plenty of us adults who compete! In fact, someone just posted the YouTube like to the Wigs and Jigs episode featuring adult dancers.
By LoriCook
On Sun Mar 16, 2014 09:10 PM
That is a great episode, go watch it and be inspired! You can do it!
By Claddagh24
On Sun Mar 16, 2014 09:46 PM
Well done on the decision to come back! I'm lucky in that I'm part of an adult class with a teacher very supportive of us dancing to whatever level we're comfortable with/capable of. Hopefully you will be able to find a similar class or reconnect with some old feis buddies. I'd been out for about 13 years and am finding that parts of it have come back. Best of luck with your own return to dance :)
By Tinairishwig
On Mon Mar 17, 2014 05:46 AM
Edited by hummingbird (128773) on 2014-03-17 08:03:20 Removed link to website. Advertising is not allowed in the discussion forums
well done.
I have a questions. Are they always dance whenever? and nomatter how old are you?
if you win award,what advantageours bring to you? sry, i don't know for irish dance. thanks in advance here.

Im looking forward to cooperate with dance wigs distributors in business.

By Snaqueb
On Mon Mar 17, 2014 05:49 AM
Thanks everyone :)

To those of you who took a break: any tips on getting back into it? I'm going to have to try not to jump in too quickly...
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Mar 17, 2014 08:49 AM
I keep having breaks and coming back, my main tip is listen to your body. It knows when its had enough.

I'm considering signing up to Diddlyi as I also struggle to make classes, anyone got any experience?

C x
By sarahrID
On Mon Mar 17, 2014 09:01 AM
I agree with the poster above. Just listen to your body and start out slow. While you may remember skills and moves, you may not have the strength to do them correctly or safely yet, so work your way back up. Also, I've found that taking the time to warm up, cool down and stretch properly each time I dance helps me dance better and recover faster. I didn't focus on that as much when I was a teenager, but it's necessary now that I'm older.
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Mar 17, 2014 09:43 AM
I've just signed up :)

Love the fitness routines - they would be a great place to start to get our bodies into shape for dancing. Reckon they would do as a daily routine.
re: I'm coming back to Irish Dance! (karma: 1)
By Bogart
On Mon Mar 17, 2014 02:39 PM
How is that website? I am so curious if it's worth the money. And congrats on coming back. We need adults!! I cannot stand the majority of the worlds fixation on youth. Yeah, it was cool to be young but I appreciate this all so much more now that I'm older. And the idea that you hit 30 and it's all downhill from there...well that just pisses me off. Things may take a little longer to learn, a little slower to heal, but that doesn't make it pointless. It makes all us older dancers just that much more awesome!
By chevrechevalmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Mar 17, 2014 09:52 PM
Amen, Bogart! Preach it!

Since you danced when younger, the muscle memory will return. Take it slowly. Build up to more time dancing. As SarahID said, spending more time in warming up, stretching, and focusing on technique will make you into a better dancer. It will also keep muscle soreness and injury at bay.

Also, dance because you love it. Not because someone else thinks you should or you should not do it. There are plenty of people to say you will fail. Dance anyway. They can be wrong.
By GeorgeTomasevich
On Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:42 AM
Regarding building a floor in your basement. I discovered some problems the hard way. I used three sheets of 3/4-in 4'x8' plywood. I have had to repair the floor several times due to abuse from dancing. The panel where I usually start creaks. Use particle board instead - plywood can de-laminate. I laid the sheets on 2x2 and 2x4 boards. I ended up cutting the floor lengthwise, essentially into 4'x4' sections to allow some flex. I used two 12'x4' sheets of shower pan liner (a.k.a. Marley) with gaffer tape on the seam. Once I got to hard shoes, that tape tore easily, so I replaced it with Gorilla tape. The ceiling is too low for any better support. The whole floor slid several inches during a session, so I had to add struts against a wall to prevent the floor from blocking doors.
By Snaqueb
On Fri Mar 21, 2014 06:03 PM
Been meaning to get on here and reply all week, but you know, life got in the way! Got some bad news - my dance school no longer offers adult class on their regular night. They've moved it to a day I definitely can't make (I have orchestra rehearsal that night). So, I called up my old school to see if they had an adult class, and it turns out they do! They seem to have changed a lot since I was there and are now more adult friendly. I mentioned that I might want to compete again one day and they said it was something they'd consider. I felt that was a small victory since last time I was there I was "that crazy adult who competes" in the kids classes (well, at least that's what the kids thought, and had no problems telling me!!!). So keep your fingers (and feet!) crossed for me that I'll find a suitable class come September!

Re: Diddlyi. I have signed up, and so far I love it! I do the Dance Preparation to warm up then move on to some of the dances. Right now I'm learning the beginner plus dances - reel and hornpipe right now. Lots of great stuff on there, can't wait to move on to the more advanced stuff and sets! I'm mainly using it to get back into shape and learn some dances before I go back to class again.

George: Thanks for the tips on building the floor! I will check out the particle board - I was all set to buy the plywood. I'm hoping to have mine fold into 2 parts... but we'll see how my design skills match up to my construction skills!! I'll definitely post it when it's done.
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Mar 21, 2014 06:39 PM
We have a dance floor that doesn't fold up. But we use oriented strand board (OSB) its heavier, but it has been getting a lot of abuse for years and is still going strong. It was much cheaper than the nice plywood that didn't have all the knots in it.

If you have the space and the skills I highly recommend ZandB's dance floor. We built one and it is awesome. It has some give, which my older body really appreciates.
zandb.wordpress.com . . .
And Welcome back to the world of Irish dance!
By irishstep
On Tue Apr 15, 2014 07:10 AM
Have no fear. I came back after 20 + years of not dancing. It's as fun as ever. One needs to be careful about injury the older we get, but properly warming up, stretching and regular trips to the chiropractor have helped me immensley.

I have done a few feisanna in the past year, and although it is much more nerve wracking than ever, I have managed to get through and have actually have done well.

Remember your core, the tighter you keep it the less likely you are to get injured. Soak your feet in epsom salts and chill them with ice if they get too sore. Massage helps to and a roller.

You'll be great. Don't worry about your weight, once you are able to practice again regularly, those pounds won't have a chance.

Good luck.
Nancy

ReplySendWatch