Forum: Adults / College

College
How do you move your textbooks?
By lildancergirl22 Comments: 320, member since Mon Mar 01, 2004
On Tue Mar 18, 2014 05:15 PM

The title pretty much says it all...

I'm getting ready to move for the umpteenth time and I always struggle with how to pack my textbooks. After doing my undergrad and masters in the same field I have a lot of relevant texts that I'm not going to part with.

I've packed in boxes, but they get too heavy to lift after a few texts and I worry about the bottom falling out. Same deal with plastic crates.

I've used reusable bags that just have a few texts in them and while I can lift them and don't fill them so full, I still worry about them ripping and I end up with like 10 bags full.

There's gotta be the perfect solution out there, right???

9 Replies to How do you move your textbooks?

re: How do you move your textbooks?
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 14381, member since Mon Aug 11, 2003
On Tue Mar 18, 2014 05:23 PM
Banker's boxes or putting a couple of books on the bottom of regular boxes so that they're spread out. :)
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Tue Mar 18, 2014 05:46 PM
I have found the best to be beer cartons or liquor cartons. But first be sure that nothing has been spilled in them.

These cartons are strong, and you often can find two that will nest snugly.
By glitterfairyPremium member Comments: 12135, member since Tue Oct 01, 2002
On Tue Mar 18, 2014 06:12 PM
As above - I pop up to my local bottle shop and grab as many wine boxes as I can. They're so small that if you're packing the really thick textbooks, you can only get about 3, which is great!

They're usually clean, re-inforced, and easily tape-up-able.
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Tue Mar 18, 2014 08:28 PM
Use many, small boxes. That's what I did and with a lot of reinforcement with packing tape when they were moved into storage, with no problem. The movers said I did a really good job packing. I'm moving to a new place this weekend so I'll let you know how they hold up when they are moved out of storage.
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Wed Mar 19, 2014 03:20 AM
I put all of my books in a wheeled suitcase and rolled them away.
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Wed Mar 19, 2014 08:03 AM
I have hundreds of books I won't part with, and I just pack them in relatively small boxes when we move (no bigger than the aforementioned wine boxes.) I don't want anyone hurting a back on them so I make them light enough for me to manage. It's never been an issue and I've moved with them four times.
By Kettricken Comments: 174, member since Thu Jun 07, 2012
On Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:09 PM
I also spread my books out over everything. Two or three books in each bag or box that I pack, unless there were breakables. It makes it hard to gather them once you get to your new location, but the moving is much easier.
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 634, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sat Mar 22, 2014 05:27 AM
You Don't Move Them!!! Sell Them!! or Dump Them!!

Seriously, don't hall them around anymore if you are done with them. I hauled mine around with me for years, always thinking I would need to look up some calculation or a reference table. Guess what? I never cracked one open again!! They look great on my bookshelf at work, but in reality are nothing but dead weight.

I found out quite a long time ago, that college textbooks change constantly, and are hardly worth any value you paid for them. Once you are out in the working world, I doubt you will find time to use them. Your employer should provide for you any reference material they want you to use on their work.

And finally, (and I never thought I would ever say this) but the Net is there to look up almost anything now a days. I use Google at work constantly to look up reference info.
By lildancergirl22 Comments: 320, member since Mon Mar 01, 2004
On Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:46 AM
Although I'm sure there's texts that I'll never crack, I have a national exam to study for and I am in a field where a lot of the information is thankfully not readily available on google. Many of my texts are still current editions so they will be moving with me. Plus I'm kinda a hoarder hahaha

I'm moving home and don't know how long I'll be living at home for, so it would be nice to have all my textbooks in one pile in my parent's basement.

I think a bunch of smaller boxes is a wonderful solution! I will have to hit up the local liquor store before all the other students move out and grab some boxes!

ReplySendWatch