Forum: Arts / Diaries

Page:
Page 2 of 21 2
re: 2014: Let's go.
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Mon Jul 07, 2014 07:56 AM
Edited by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2014-07-07 07:58:06
Had a reply written and then accidentally closed the window. D'OH. The high points:

1. I have decided I am definitely not going to teach full-time in the fall. I would have to start interviewing NOW for jobs, and considering I have none of my certification completed at this point, I would rather wait a year and get everything in order--both for me and my future students.

2. I am going to be nannying in the fall through a placement service close to my neighborhood. The evaluator offered me the job on the spot, so that was a huge encouragement! They also do tutoring and are desperate for tutors, so when their tutoring center opens up I'll be able to pretty much have my pick of clients.

3. The family that I'm tutoring for has asked me to continue through the school year, so I'm opening the class up to other homeschoolers. I used to take classes as a homeschooler, so this is all coming full circle in a very weird way.

4. I am trying DESPERATELY to get my stamina back and learn new steps so I can do prelims in Kansas City (Labor Day weekend). I need to ask my teacher, but I am super nervy and don't know how to say "look, I really need to get started with this champs thing so my husband and I can start having babies" to a 50+ year old man. Heh. I really feel like I need to do this (and take the exam) before I have kids, because I know my body and if it's this hard to get back into the swing of things after injury, I don't wanna know what it's like after having a baby.

5. Something new to cross off the bucket list: having a minor award named after me on a Doctor Who podcast. Listen here; it's the first three minutes.

That's pretty much the update! I'm going to approach my teacher next week--will probably get someone to frog-march me in and ask--so wish me luck!
re: 2014: Let's go. (karma: 2)
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:54 AM
Edited by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2014-07-30 10:56:25
Edited by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2014-07-30 10:57:41
Some more recent favorites from some shoots I've been doing recently. Business has been alright, though I'm really hoping it'll pick up. I have a bridal session on the hook and maybe some more acting headshots in the pipeline. Plus my sister-in-law is getting married (yay!) and I'll be doing the photos at the wedding--though that will be gratis, as a wedding present.

The nanny service is looking promising. It's super awesome because I basically get to choose my own schedule and I'm looking forward to becoming more involved once I'm finished nannying S over the summer. My homeschooling classes are going swimmingly and I am finally convinced that I really, really love teaching and that I'm on the right path. Another few gals from the dance studio may join us in the fall for class, which I would love. It is just...so neat to totally expand minds with new knowledge and watch some light bulbs go off. I am so excited to become an even more effective teacher when I'm doing it full time.

Novel is in full-blown editing mode and I am about a quarter of the way through making the changes I want. I'm hoping to finish that before the summer, then send off copies to a few beta readers whose opinions I trust. Then...it's query letter time. Ack. Plus I need to...ya know...figure out a title for this mess since my original one is more suited to a name for the overall series instead of the book itself. :O

Husband is at his second week of full time work and I can breathe once he gets his first full-time paycheck. It'll still be tight, but at least we'll be able to catch up on some bills.

I am working super hard these days but it's all at things I care about, and have a huge degree of agency over, and that makes a huge difference. Now, if I can work on getting the money to follow, that will be fantastic. ;)
re: 2014: Let's go. (karma: 1)
On Tue Aug 05, 2014 09:19 AM
Edited by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2014-08-05 09:35:20 whoops I forgotted something
Soooo I am dancing in my first-ever Preliminary Championship in 24 days. (For the backstory / why this is so important to me, see this.) I am alternately terrified and thrilled and my goal is to just dance my best with new steps. I'll have two more competitions after this one to practice for the regionals, since I'll be running a stage and announcing at our own feis instead of dancing, and then it's roll on Orlando and my first Oireachtas!

This is a goal I've been chasing for the past ten years and I am so thrilled it's about to actually happen for me. Plus, I'll be doing my first champ feis in my favorite city, surrounded by childhood friends and dance buddies alike. I'm so stoked!
On Thu Sep 25, 2014 02:03 PM
I feel like I'm on an emotional carousel and it's frankly making me queasy. I want OFF.

Long story short we're still struggling, but things are improving (just not as fast as I would like). The credit card bill is currently unpaid, because there just wasn't any fat to trim this month, and likely won't be in future months. My options are to let it go, or talk to my parents/grandmother about a loan to pay it off. Either one kind of makes me sick to my stomach. I'm still embarrassed about being this person, especially when before I was the person who had it all together.

On Sunday night I made the decision that I'd run out of time on figuring out financial stuff for the Oireachtas, and after a crying session with my sister, I posted about feeling disappointed on tumblr. Some folks from my school saw it, and now I have my entry fees and my hotel covered, which made me cry in a whole different way. I just need money for airfare, which I am desperately trying to get together in the form of selling discounted portrait packages. The deadline is October 1 so I only have a few more days to make it. I have a few packages pledged but I'm not counting anything until I have the money in hand. Regardless, the outpouring of love and support from my dance family has been overwhelming. Between tutoring, taking photos, nannying and teaching, all for people up at the studio, I seriously would be flat broke without all of them. They are incredible.

Pictures are from my first Prelim feis, mentioned above! I got last, which I was totally not bothered by IN THE SLIGHTEST, especially when I looked at my scores and the round I thought I'd bombed had NO last place scores and one judge actually gave me 6th overall. :O But more importantly I had a FANTASTIC time and only got closer to my fabulous dance buddies. PLUSSSS the feis had a champion of champions dance off and one of our dancers (the one in the beautiful blue dress) won the WHOLE SHEBANG which was CRAZY and unexpected and we all screamed our heads off when they announced her number as the winner. Like, we are just this tiny little school from Texas that refuses to play politics so it was insaaane that she was finally recognized as the amazing dancer that she is.

Next prelim is October 4th in San Antonio and my goal is to dance better than I danced in Kansas City--hopefully an achievable goal.

Thanks for listening to my whine--gifts of cheese are readily accepted.
re: 2014: Let's go. (karma: 1)
On Mon Sep 29, 2014 04:20 PM
I did it, guys. I made my goal and I'm going to Oireachtas. (insert weepy emoji face)
By Sumayah Comments: 6879, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Mon Sep 29, 2014 04:57 PM
AHHHHHH! CONGRATULATIONS! Believe me, I know how hard it is to behind the 8 ball financially but still want need to further your dance goals and education. Super excited for you!
On Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:18 AM
San Antonio could have gone better. I slipped at the beginning of my treble jig and lost my place, and I don't think some of the judges saw the slip. They just thought I'd had a brain fart. (People were slipping and falling all over the place...I shoulda just gone for it.) Last overall but with the stop I'm not too mad. I was, however, upset about them not splitting the comp--most of the placers were u18 (because of course they were!) and if they'd split to u18/o18 my sister would have gotten her first placement.

Skipping competing at our feis in November, just because I'll be running one of the rooms and announcing for awards and won't have time to do anything else. The next weekend is a feis in my favorite city, New Orleans, and it's a no makeup, no wig feis so I'm really pumped for that last stop before Oireachtas.

I have a laundry list of things to work on in class. I want to believe I can get better. Working on my head game should also be part of that. Plus next year I'll be doing reel/hornpipe, which are my favorite dances. 2014 is about surviving in Prelim--I gotta figure out how 2015 can be about thriving in Prelim.
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3643, member since Sat Sep 20, 2003
On Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:50 AM
They didn't split it? It makes me so upset when they double up agree groups and then don't split them again when they're guaranteed to have their 5+ dancers! How frustrating. I don't think many people understand how difficult it is for us older dancers to have to compete with 16 year olds.

Remember that you have earned the right to be onstage with those other dancers and you have EVERY right to do some butt kicking while you're up there! You'll have to tell DDNland how the casual feis goes. I'm super curious about how placings might change (if they do at all) when the dresses and wigs come off. Super neat to have something like that so "close"!
On Tue Oct 07, 2014 02:47 PM
^ There were 21 (!!!) of us in that comp. 6 of us were from the same school, 3 u18, 3 o18. We almost had enough to make our own prelims, and I know for a fact at least 5 of us were there to do o18. It's not like I don't want it to be as competitive, but you know what I mean. It's just different. 18 and older, whatever, they're also adults. But a 16 year old? I will never compete against them in any other context. I was having to dance versus the twins. How is that fair?!

Sooooo I can't really talk about this anywhere else and probably nothing will come of it (at least immediately), but I need to gush. We've known for a while that the hubs is eligible for British citizenship, but haven't really pursued it. Today I got a flurry of texts from him because he found the correct paperwork and the application fee amount. He told me that ever since we visited the UK, he's been thinking about going back to live and if I would be okay with that. I responded that uh, yeah, I was 1000% on board. It's something I've wanted to do since I was very, very little, but without citizenship it's pretty difficult to do.

This city is changing, and not necessarily for the better. There's been a huge influx of new residents, and traffic is even worse than it was before. Neighborhoods I used to love are losing character thanks to overdevelopment. It's impossible for us to become homeowners because there's NO inventory of affordable starter homes (not an exaggeration). So, if we can't buy a house and settle down here, why not move to a better climate and more interesting place where that's still true...?

I guess you have to understand that my husband is kind of a reticent dude, so if he's telling me that he wants to do this, it's HUGE to him. He's not a guy with his head in the clouds; I don't hear a lot of this dreaming from him, if at all. So it's a really big thing to me, emotionally at least. We've been having such a hard time with everything, this is something tangible we can work towards together.

So I feel really energized. We texted back and forth a little about what we should do to prepare. It probably won't happen anytime soon, but I'm psyched that we have a Plan. Maybe before I lost my job I wouldn't have been so ready to pack up and move, but now I'm ready to bring on the change. I know I'm a fighter and I can make anything work that I set my mind to.
On Mon Feb 09, 2015 09:37 PM
It's been a long time (duh).

Suffice it to say it's been stupid busy in Dani-land and I will give this a proper update soon!
By pokomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 9026, member since Sun Oct 31, 2004
On Sun Mar 08, 2015 04:42 AM
Plz note - with British Citizenship, it'll be easier to visit Australia. Just sayin'.
Page:
Page 2 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch