Forum: Irish / Irish

How to survive hiatus?
By novicedancer1991member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Mar 22, 2014 03:24 PM

My TC has requested that I take some time off from dance due to some health problems. I'm waiting on an official diagnoses from my doctor (all I know now is that my blood sugar and bmi are low), so right now I don't know if it's going to be a couple weeks or much longer, but after less than a week, I'm already going crazy. I'm especially worried that as an older dancer who has probably already peaked, taking a break will mean I'll never reach the level where I am now again.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get through a hiatus from dance, emotionally or physically?

4 Replies to How to survive hiatus?

re: How to survive hiatus?
By JenBlackerbymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Mar 22, 2014 03:31 PM
I'm not sure on the getting thru it part, maybe some other people can help with that.

But I'll tell you, I've had several breaks, college, having a baby, broken foot, etc. I'm 27 and my dancing is the very best it ever has been. Unless you're trying to be a professional dancer I don't think the "dancer's peak" really matters. When you come back you may need to cross train to really get back into shape without injuring yourself, but its definitely doable!!
By IrishLizzymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Mar 22, 2014 06:10 PM
You have a very considerate and mature TC. I know of a lot that would just make a dancer "push" through health problems.

I don't think you've peaked, you're still young. Based on your username I'm going to assume you were born in 1991, which would make you 22 or 23 (depending on your birthday). I will be 25 this year and I'm still going after multiple set backs.
Taking a break right now is what you need to do for your body. Focus on getting yourself healthy before getting back into dance. In the meantime, can you do very light warm ups (aka, going for a walk) and stretching? That way you won't be extremely stiff and sore when you go back. If that's not possible, then I would check with your doctor and ask what level of activity you're allowed to do. Actually, make sure you check with your doctor before even doing light warm ups and stretching. I don't know what is going on with your body but he/she has a better idea and will know what is best for you.

You can always visualize your steps too. Mentally going through your dances can help you improve so much! Do lots of hand dancing, listen to the music, even watch Riverdance or Lord of the Dance.

It's hard when you want to dance but can't, trust me, I've been there MANY times, but it's just part of life and it makes us realize how important dance really is to us. But really, enjoy this break, as Irish dancers we don't ever get time off dance since competitions and shows run year round. Let your body rest and take advantage of this time off.

I hope you're feeling better and best of luck with finding out what is going on!
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Mar 23, 2014 05:45 PM
if you aren't healthy, you haven't peaked. If you need to stop dancing because you are unhealthily thin, then you need to find a way to feed your love while getting healthy again.

Watch your favorite videos, listen to your favorite songs and make up steps that you can hand dance. Design dresses, learn to play songs on an instrument, learn to sing some fun songs, work as an assistant teacher to lower level dancers- you can give feedback without dancing.
By novicedancer1991member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Mar 25, 2014 04:29 PM
Thanks for the replies. I've been out of dance for a week now and honestly not feeling any better about it.

The reason I think I've peaked isn't just because of recent health issues, my feis results have been going down every time for the last couple years. I've been stuck with soft shoe in prizewinner and hard shoe in novice for the past three years, literally no improvement at all. I know that 22 isn't THAT horribly old, but I've had a mental block about my age for years now, and having to take a break is making me realize that I might need to prepare myself for when I actually do need to retire for good, and I think that's the main reason I'm getting so depressed about this.

ReplySendWatch