Forum: Adults / 20 Something

In general, I'm mad (rant/looking for justification)
By crazytap
On Sat Mar 22, 2014 04:54 PM

Like I said, I'm mad. I'm mad for several reasons that have been building up over a while now.

1.) I'm mad that all of my electronics seem to have something wrong with them (laptop battery won't hold a charge, dropped my phone in the toilet, xbox 360 was stolen, etc).

2.) I'm mad that for the past year I've been keeping my clothes in a laundry basket due to the lack of a dresser, and when I finally get one, it breaks while it's being put together.

3.) I'm mad that my dance professors set a schedule and when I change my schedule to fit their schedule, they don't follow the schedule they set, and it makes me miss classes that other professors changed so I could come during that time slot, making me look like I'm ungrateful.

4.) I'm mad that I saw someone say that people who are poor are poor because they don't try. When you take into account that there are people in my city who are homeless AND have their masters, and the fact that I am in college and am as broke as your typical college student, I'm not trying, even though when I graduate I will have 3 degrees (a BFA, a BA, and a BS).

5.) I'm mad that I have 4 exams next week, 2 papers due, and an academic competition next week.

6.) I'm mad that everyone needs money from me. Car insurance (mandatory in the US), health insurance (mandatory in the US by the end of the month), phone bill, rent, cable, electric, water, and gas.

7.) I'm mad that the cable company cashed my check, but didn't apply it to my account.

8.) I'm mad that my mom didn't tell me that my dad had cancer until at least 1 1/2 years later.

9.) I'm mad that I can't lose weight.

10.) I'm mad that all of this makes me mad. I try so hard to see that I have so much more than most of the world, yet I struggle with it. I know that I take academic (along with dance) classes everyday, when some people can't even afford food.

11.) I'm mad that a good portion of our nation (the US) believes that violence is the answer.

12.) I'm mad that I lose roles to a person who is 10 years younger than I.

13.) I'm mad that my real analysis class (AKA advance calc) is getting hard. Math has never been hard before now. I've been told that this class is typically the hardest class taught at my college, but it still bothers me.

14.) I'm mad that I couldn't stop at number 13 because I'm that superstitious.

I know some of these seem petty, but when mixed with the day-to-day stress of being a college student and just the stress of life, it adds up. I needed to rant, and I couldn't use other social media, nor could I confide in others, because I feel like they don't understand financially (mommy and daddy STILL buy AND sew some of their pointes shoes, even though they are 22) or academically (all of my friends have a single degree, and aren't trying to complete 3).

I posted it here because I didn't care who heard it, and I figured that 20 somethings would understand college.

5 Replies to In general, I'm mad (rant/looking for justification)

re: In general, I'm mad (rant/looking for justification)
By LeSoulierVertmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Mar 23, 2014 04:07 AM
I feel you. Let it out man. Let it out.

When I'm angry I'll open up a blank word document and just bang out a few pages of ranty nonsense. I don't try to make it organized or say anything in particular, just whatever comes out. Usually this results in more anger for a while, like a volcano exploding. But it always passes and I feel much lighter and better afterword.

When I was younger I kept an on-going word doc of just random rants and thoughts. I didn't want the toxic thoughts and feelings in me anymore so I created my own little dumping ground to GET IT ALL OUT. And it was really helpful. Lots of catharsis and breakthroughs. I highly recommend this. Free and easy therapy.
By dancin_til_death
On Sun Mar 23, 2014 04:15 AM
You should stop counting. Some of your numbers sound like legit problems which you are facing in day to day life, however some of them I think you have collected because you want evidence that life is bad for you right now.

You don't need numbers for that. Acknowledge it to yourself, life is not good right now. You need to have a break, laugh, drink, or cry. Having a "life is not good right now" moment needs acknowledgement - whether that is wine with friends, a cup of tea or a proper break.

You sound burnt out and I would urge you to look at your timetable and see if there is something that you can take off your plate. Stress is like water dripping into a bucket of water. If the bucket is empty to start with, then a little extra doesn't hurt. However if the bucket is already full then anything; paying a bill will make you overflow. Being a poor student is hard. Don't doubt it.

Definitely one think you can do is to shutout some outside problems. I am not a fan of the current government of Australia, yet I choose to not let it bother me. Its too much energy, too much brain space. Don't listen to other people's criticisms of the poor. You are accountable to no one except yourself. Never forget that.
By dancin_til_death
On Sun Mar 23, 2014 04:16 AM
You should stop counting. Some of your numbers sound like legit problems which you are facing in day to day life, however some of them I think you have collected because you want evidence that life is bad for you right now.

You don't need numbers for that. Acknowledge it to yourself, life is not good right now. You need to have a break, laugh, drink, or cry. Having a "life is not good right now" moment needs acknowledgement - whether that is wine with friends, a cup of tea or a proper break.

You sound burnt out and I would urge you to look at your timetable and see if there is something that you can take off your plate. Stress is like water dripping into a bucket of water. If the bucket is empty to start with, then a little extra doesn't hurt. However if the bucket is already full then anything; paying a bill will make you overflow. Being a poor student is hard. Don't doubt it.

Definitely one think you can do is to shutout some outside problems. I am not a fan of the current government of Australia, yet I choose to not let it bother me. Its too much energy, too much brain space. Don't listen to other people's criticisms of the poor. You are accountable to no one except yourself. Never forget that.
By LoriCook
On Sun Mar 23, 2014 02:53 PM
So which of these things can you control or change? Maybe 2 or 3. Being mad about things you can't change is a waste of time and why people find the serenity prayer so helpful. Focus on what you can do to make things better for yourself and let the rest go.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Mar 24, 2014 09:00 AM
I think there's a lot of this list - about half of it in fact - that wouldn't bother you nearly so much, if you weren't already kind of down in the dumps about the other half. You would have returned the dresser mentioned in number two, you would have realized that the homework in number 5 is directly because of the 3 degrees you're congratulating yourself for getting in the last paragraph, and you'd realize that number 11 is such a broad assumption that it can't possibly be the case. (There's a heck of a lot of war protesting going on, for literally every person to believe that war is the answer...)

So you need to just start making your peace with as many of these as you can. You've had your rant, you got it out there, now you have to keep going. Because there's some of these you just can't control. There's always going to be bills to pay (welcome to being an adult...), if the cable company hasn't applied your check within the next few days call and check on it, order a new laptop battery online, and as for number 12, maybe start going out for different parts?

ReplySendWatch