Forum: Competitions

When the music stops at competition......
By kashmirjayPremium member
On Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:52 PM

..... what do you advise your students to do!?

At competition last year, a hiphop soloist's music stopped. She faltered for a split second, then picked it right back up. The audience clapped a beat for her and she finished out her solo to a standing ovation.

In contrast to that, at competition tonight a hiphop group's music stopped. There were about... 8 or 10 girls (looked to be about ages 15-18) in the group. When the music stopped, they all stopped dead and looked around at each other before wandering off stage.

What do you teach your students to do, especially if they are younger and in a bigger group?? My 9-10 year old tap group asked me this question. There are 8 of them.

Would you designate one of them to start counting if the music stopped, and everyone go according to her counts? Do you tell everyone to start counting? Do you not count at all and just try to stay together? Or do you stop and go offstage?!?

I know it's rare, but I'm not feeling so confident in this new-fangled "high technology" when I've seen it fail so many times in the past few years.

What do you all think?

16 Replies to When the music stops at competition......

re: When the music stops at competition......
By BreaMae91
On Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:04 PM
When I was younger our teacher/studio owner used to tell us to freeze and wait for the music to be restarted. More often than not whoever was managing the music at the competition would restart the music as the mistake/glitch in the music was usually on their part.
By hummingbird
On Sun Mar 23, 2014 07:20 PM
OMG, they keep going. I had a group of novice Irish dancers who the CD froze on them half way through their dance a few years ago, not one of them stopped or even hesitated, they just kept going as myself and another teacher literally attacked the system in the wings to try and get it to restart. The adjudicator sent a message backstage saying how impressed she was with their performance and asked if they would like to redance their number in the next section with the music. Luckily I always have everything in triplicate where my music is concerned.

I was just so proud of them all! They were all such little pro's!

Get them to practice without the music and see how it goes, it'll do them good to try and keep the rhythms without the beat of the music behind them.
By DaDancingPsych
On Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:43 AM
I am not what I would call a competitive teacher, but my understanding is that continuing without music is a score booster. I am not convinced that it is totally merited, but I have no doubt that a judge would tack on a few additional points. In the end, it often becomes incredibly entertaining for the audience, so I understand why it happens.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this. On a professional basis, I have seen where an artist(s) will continue acapella and it becomes the highlight of the show. I have also seen where the performers remained poised, the curtain was closed, the technical glitch was worked out, and then the show carried forward.

I teach my students to stop and pose. (Not a necessarily a dancey pose, but to be poised.) And wait for direction from the stage manager... which in some cases is me. I think attempting to continue to dance without the music is risky in that most of my students are not advanced enough to be able to accomplish this highly successfully. And in some cases, it could be dangerous.
re: When the music stops at competition...... (karma: 1)
By werk_dance
On Mon Mar 24, 2014 09:20 PM
Keep dancing! I even trick them once in a blue moon and shut the music off myself so they can practice if that were to ever happen.
By StudioSally
On Tue Mar 25, 2014 09:54 AM
I teach mine to keep going no matter what. They should already have the beat and counts in their heads. I even test them throughout the year... during practices I will stop the music without warning and they know to keep dancing. It has never happened to any of my girls (knock on wood) but it did happen to me when I was younger. Way back when we had cassettes, our cassette was messed up and stopped mid way. Our teacher taught us to keep going and that is what we did. Later, when they got the problem fixed, we were able to do it again from the beginning.
By pinktights27
On Tue Mar 25, 2014 06:43 PM
I have always taught my kids that compete to count in unison and finish the piece if the music does stop. I have even had them practice this so that they are prepared. Luckily, this has never happened to any of my kids (knock on wood!) My fear though is that the music will stop, THEN COME BACK ON. Then what?! If they have already started counting, they will be off the music. So in that case, I have no idea. But I do teach them to be prepared in the event that the music stops.
By Tap_Dance_Kid
On Fri Mar 28, 2014 08:39 PM
Yup, keep dancing!

I did once see a group who's music cut out and they stopped dancing, turned to face the judges, stood still & tall and smiled brightly with their hands behind their back while they waited for direction from the announcer. While I prefer kids to continue dancing, I feel that this is the only other acceptable option.
By ChristinePremium member
On Fri Mar 28, 2014 09:02 PM
Keep On Dancing!

Smile even bigger and keep on dancing...

always...

no matter what....

yup.

Keep On Dancing*
On Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:23 PM
Thank you all for your opinions. As crazy as it sounds... it never actually occurred to me to stop the music on them.

We practiced that this week and I was pleasantly surprised with their ability to keep time all together.

It's something that we pray won't happen, and when it happens to someone else we think, "thank god that isn't me!" but the reality is it could easily be any of our kids and I want to send them out there as prepared as possible.

Thanks again :)
By Dancequeen924
On Tue Apr 29, 2014 07:46 PM
Run your dance in studio and stop ur music have the kids learn to keep dancing even when the music goes off so they are ready in the event it ever happens onstage
By imadanseurPremium member
On Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:08 PM
KEEP GOING!

Funny story, I had a large group tap number last year with 12 kids ages 9-11. The first show we had was an outdoor holiday show. They had problems with the sound system and the dance in front of them had their music go out. They fixed it, let the kids redo their dance and we were on. The half way through the dance the music stopped and they sort of freaked for 1 second and kept going. YAY...fabulous and then a month later we were at our first competition. Guess what? The CD is scratched or something and the music goes off. They wanted the kids to exit so they could use the back up, but the kids kept going until the end of the dance. YAY...we got a platinum. Next competition, there is a thunderstorm in Phoenix. Blows the electricity within the first 30 seconds of this dance (the dance is cursed I tell you) the generators came on quickly and the cd kept going but they had a short break with no music, the next competition was LADM and we have the song on an ipod...the guy running the music bumped the cord and the music stopped, and when he got it back plugged in, they were right on. We laughed about it because it was ridiculous, but the kids had a blast and were complemented all those times on their ability to keep going. Luckily for the last 2 performances of the year the music was perfect.
On Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:25 PM
imadanseur wrote:

KEEP GOING!

Funny story, I had a large group tap number last year with 12 kids ages 9-11. The first show we had was an outdoor holiday show. They had problems with the sound system and the dance in front of them had their music go out. They fixed it, let the kids redo their dance and we were on. The half way through the dance the music stopped and they sort of freaked for 1 second and kept going. YAY...fabulous and then a month later we were at our first competition. Guess what? The CD is scratched or something and the music goes off. They wanted the kids to exit so they could use the back up, but the kids kept going until the end of the dance. YAY...we got a platinum. Next competition, there is a thunderstorm in Phoenix. Blows the electricity within the first 30 seconds of this dance (the dance is cursed I tell you) the generators came on quickly and the cd kept going but they had a short break with no music, the next competition was LADM and we have the song on an ipod...the guy running the music bumped the cord and the music stopped, and when he got it back plugged in, they were right on. We laughed about it because it was ridiculous, but the kids had a blast and were complemented all those times on their ability to keep going. Luckily for the last 2 performances of the year the music was perfect.

WOW, I think you broke the laws of probability!!! That is insane, for one group to have that amount of bad luck :( poor kiddos. I know they handled it well but it's still stressful. Good for them!!

My kids still stress out about it even though our comp was uneventful music-wise. Last week they asked me to skip the music forward a few seconds as if the CD were skipping (even though we are using digital files haha!) They have fun with it and it keeps their confidence up so I indulge them anyway!
By Dancin_Juli
On Fri May 09, 2014 03:21 PM
I always teach my dancers to keep going. Though I've never thought to designate a certain dancer to count out the music. Most times when the music has cut out, my dancers have just kept dancing and then the announcer will tell them to please exit the stage and asks for a new cd or music. I think I might name a team captain this next year and they'll be in charge of counting :)
On Fri May 09, 2014 08:53 PM
So we had our first recital tonight and..... the music stopped on one of our senior groups. They kept going like pros, got another half count into their dance and the song came on in the same place. They stumbled for a second but they got it together and the audience cheered them for it.

Thank god it was seniors and we had a good audience!
By artsinmovement
On Tue May 13, 2014 07:54 AM
I've always taught my kids to keep going no matter what! It's been instilled in them since the time they start competition groups and solos at around 5. Luckily, (knock on wood lol) it hasn't happened to the little ones at a competition but it has in class and they've kept going even with my 6-8 year old group. Just smile, smile, smile and keep on going!
By CoachT
On Wed May 14, 2014 07:23 AM
I've had it happen several times, we train the kids to keep going. At a comp in March someone shut off our music(they thought it was over b/c there was a pose and the music was soft so they just figured they were done) and the group kept going. Same competition different team, our music started skipping, I just went over and told them to shut if off, and one of the girls started counting to get them back on track and they finished the routine w/ out music. I does happen, just try to prepare the kids best you can.

ReplySendWatch