Forum: Advice / Girls Only

Girls Only
Another bra question...
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3157, member since Tue Apr 24, 2007
On Wed Mar 26, 2014 02:05 PM

Ok, I think I've figured out my real bra size, and I know that all of the bras I own are wrong. It was funny figuring it out- I used A Bra that Fits, along with 6 other online measuring sites, all of which claimed to help you find the right fit. Between them, I came out from a 32 E to a 38 AA.

Now that I'm pretty sure I'm a 34 DD, can I shop anywhere for these new bras? Or do certain stores have wonky sizing based on their wonky measuring method?

I have a gift card to Victoria's Secret, and I've got some store credit at Kohls, so it would be nice to use them towards new stuff.

6 Replies to Another bra question...

re: Another bra question...
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5930, member since Sat Jan 25, 2003
On Wed Mar 26, 2014 02:16 PM
The store shouldn't matter. You are lucky if you think 34DD is your size because it is pretty readily available. :)
By RifleBuddy Comments: 306, member since Tue Aug 26, 2003
On Wed Mar 26, 2014 07:59 PM
I've found that I'm different sizes at different stores. So at Victoria's Secret, for example, I know what specific size works for me there. A bra fitter at Nordstrom helped me figure out my correct size in some other brands.

So since you have a gift card for VS, get measured by their staff. They'll help you figure out what fits in their brand (and then have fun buying something gorgeous!)
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5930, member since Sat Jan 25, 2003
On Wed Mar 26, 2014 09:52 PM
Do NOT get measured at Victoria's Secret. They don't know what the eff they are doing and will just confuse you more. They add at least 4" to your underbust measurements and often measure above your boobs which is completely pointless. They are just trying to cram as many women into their narrow size range.
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3157, member since Tue Apr 24, 2007
On Thu Mar 27, 2014 09:26 AM
I know that getting fitted at VS doesn't work- they've measured me as a 36 B my entire life, and just looking at how the bras I own fit, I can tell that is wrong. I can pull the band at least 2 inches tighter, the cup doesn't have enough side coverage, and it doesn't add shape or support.
By Kettricken Comments: 174, member since Thu Jun 07, 2012
On Thu Mar 27, 2014 09:47 AM
VS "measured" me once over my clothes, in the winter. I had on a baggy sweater over a t-shirt. Really, those must be very accurate measurements. She told me I was a 34C, which I know I am not, since I did wear that size at one point.
Go ahead and have different stores measure you, but then you'll need some trial and error trips to the changing room, which I never seem to have time for, lol.
By Elia_Jay Comments: 33, member since Sun Feb 02, 2014
On Thu Mar 27, 2014 04:12 PM
Coccinella wrote:

Do NOT get measured at Victoria's Secret. They don't know what the eff they are doing and will just confuse you more. They add at least 4" to your underbust measurements and often measure above your boobs which is completely pointless. They are just trying to cram as many women into their narrow size range.

I have to respectfully disagree. I'm sorry you've had that experience, but that is due to lack of training. Not all VS stores are the same.

I have never had them add ANY amount to my underbust, and one night I went bra shopping and before I bought I was measured at VS, Soma Intimates, Aerie and Macy's and I got the same size at all of them (which at the time was 34DD).

Since then I have properly measured myself at home and got the same results as I got at VS, so at least where I am, they know what they're doing, and they definitely don't try to squeeze you into anything. They really do care about proper bra fitting and will measure, try that size, look at it with you and explain why it does/doesn't fit and then they'll go up/down in band size, try different styles etc. until you find something that is just what you're looking for.

I used to think VS was just all show and not worth it, but after actually checking it out and buying a bra, I realized that it 100% is. Their bras are good quality (they last forever), they have tons of styles to choose from, and I can honestly say that I have never had a bra as comfortable as my VS bras, and I've been wearing bras for over 10 years now.

Also, I don't and never have worked at VS, nor am I promoting them for any reason other than my experiences and results which I have always loved!

ReplySendWatch