Forum: Highland / Highland - Adult Dancers

Teaching video's
By janetaba
On Thu Mar 27, 2014 02:16 PM

So, I'm 53 years old and I think that I'd like to learn Highland Dance. I first saw it about 40 years ago at the Houston Highland Games when it was being held at Pin Oak Stables. I watched and watched those girls that were competing and then went home and practiced what I saw them do. I've never forgot my love of Highland dance, and since we can't really afford for me to take lessons in a class, I am wondering if there was a good video for teaching me to dance. I won't ever compete, I'm not in good enough shape for that and we can't afford the costuming - we are living on dear hubby's disability check and my part-time income. I just want to learn to dance before I can't move. LOL!

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

10 Replies to Teaching video's

re: Teaching video's
By LingScot
On Thu Mar 27, 2014 06:35 PM
Kira Cogswell VanSteenkiste has a series of free instructional highland videos on ExpertVillage -- here's an example. :)

www.youtube.com . . .
By LoriCook
On Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:11 AM
I like this you tube video. She made 4 of them to teach the grand kids how to do the fling. m.youtube.com . . .

I also like the videos on YouTube by "highland dance practice". They are not instructional though so might be hard to follow. I do like that you see the back view of the instructor so it's easier to figure out right and left. Start with pas de bas and then hicuts then the fling. The lilt is also a fairly easy dance. The sword is very aerobic and hard!

Are there any local highland dance schools? You may be able to find a student who would be willing to show you some moves.

Highland Kitty practice video is good. If you ask on dance.net someone might sell you a used DVD for cheap. There are very few highland instructional dvd's sadly.

I am not a teacher but I would be willing to answer any questions. It has been helpful for me to have the SOBHD books on highland dances and national dances. Again you might find someone willing to part with an old one for cheap.
By LoriCook
On Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:29 AM
Here's one of the highland dance practice youtube videos
m.youtube.com . . .
By Katja144member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Mar 29, 2014 03:52 PM
I liked the Highland Kitty videos when I was first starting out, as well. Also, the SOBHD textbook (and it's possible someone might be selling one of those secondhand as well, if they upgraded to the new version that came out a few years ago). When I first learned, it was from students and dance moms (it was a pipe band that taught piping/drumming/dancing for free), and I learned the basics but not a lot of the subtle nuances or the whys and wherefores. The textbook really helped with that (as well as learning steps I wasn't taught at lessons, etc.).

I second the idea of contacting students, as well. Especially those who may be studying for their Associates exam and such-- you'll know they know the technique, and they'll enjoy practicing their teaching skills and making a few extra bucks (the girl I knew who did this charged $5 for a half-hour lesson, if I remember correctly). Check around your area, too, and see if there are any groups like the one I learned with that might teach for free or very cheap.
By janetaba
On Sun Mar 30, 2014 08:19 AM
Thanks for your information. I'll try to find the Highland Kitty videos.
By janetaba
On Sun Mar 30, 2014 08:21 AM
Thanks for the information. Now I just have to figure out how to connect my computer to the tv set so that I can play them like a video.
By janetaba
On Sun Mar 30, 2014 08:23 AM
Thanks for your advice. As far as getting with a Highland dance school, I work retail, so scheduling would be a nightmare. I'm going to try to find the Highland Kitty video.
By janetaba
On Wed Apr 02, 2014 07:19 PM
I saw the ones made by that grandmother last night. I loved them! She does a wonderful job of explaining what she is doing. Awesome!
By LoriCook
On Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:48 PM
And she is adorable! I wish she had made more. The grand kids were probably like "this is too hard!" ;) There are a few small technical details she misses but if you aren't competing it is just fine. I'd like to make my own series of lessons for my future grand kids!
By janetaba
On Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:21 AM
I'll bet that you'd do a great job, too! Please share them with others if you do make them.

ReplySendWatch