Forum: Irish / Irish

School Recommendations, please!
By Cinnawiz
On Fri Mar 28, 2014 09:49 AM

Hey DDN! Long time, lol.

I have a friend whos daughter wants to take up our beautiful sport. She'll be in the MAR U10, just outside the DC area. I don't know that area, so can anyone recommend some schools that I can pass along?

Much thanks in advance!

8 Replies to School Recommendations, please!

re: School Recommendations, please!
By Tansey
On Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:20 AM
By just outside DC, do you mean on the Maryland side or the Virginia side? DC-area traffic is horrific, so it can make a difference. Culkin would be my top recommendation to anyone in DC or close-in Maryland. My daughter started there when she was 5 and only transferred because we moved to New England. We love Culkin. Great school; fun, friendly and successful. Classes are in various Montgomery County, MD locations. culkinschool.com
By boleyngrrl
On Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:30 AM
I have a few friends at O'Neill-James who really like it! They're on the VA side, so if you're on that side that might be worth a look! I agree, DC traffic is downright dreadful at times, so that will definitely make a difference.

Here's their website if you want to take a look or contact them: www.oneilljamesschool.com
By Teasharkmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:44 AM
Just want to throw my 2 cents in for O'Neill-James, I know several dancers from there and they all love it :)

Kind regards,

TeaShark
By DCinMD
On Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:11 PM
Culkin in Maryland! I agree with Tansey if you are in DC or close to beltway it's the most convenient. My DD is U9 now and started with Culkin at 5. Love it, everyone very friendly and helpful. Suits dancers just doing it for fun, but also great for those aiming for champ level. Culkin has had LOTS of kids move into prelims and open just this past year 2013/14, including many younger dancers U8 to U10. Great figures program for those enjoying ceili dancing. Feel free to private message me if you have more questions!
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:17 PM
Just FYI, Maryland & Virginia aren't in (either of the) the MAR(s), they're in the Southern Region. (I know. The SR goes from MD to Texas. It's insane.)
By lorna_doonemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:25 PM
Teelin in Columbia, MD. I love, love, love that school. They have phenomenal dancers, and the TCRG Maureen is fantastic.

I've also danced with Maple, who is close to DC. Another awesome school. Bill and Marnie perfectly compliment each other as TCRGs!
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Mar 28, 2014 02:35 PM
there are a lot of good schools in the area. Where you are planning on living and how much traffic you are willing to deal with will definitely influence what dance school you choose to go to.
www.greenfeet-dc.com . . . has a list of dance schools in the Washington/Baltimore area. Hope it helps!
By Cinnawiz
On Tue Apr 01, 2014 09:06 AM
Thanks everyone! I forwarded that list to my friend. :)

ReplySendWatch