Forum: Irish / Irish - Adult Dancers

Detroit Feis
By fouleafmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:57 AM

Does anyone have experience with the Detroit Feis? Is anyone thinking of going? I'm interested in whether there will be many (or any) adults there.

I have the opportunity but if there's not going to be anyone there, I think I'd rather spend the time visiting with my local friends. Doing all the prep work when there's not a full competition is something that I'd like to avoid.

2 Replies to Detroit Feis

re: Detroit Feis
By Kirvin3member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Apr 02, 2014 08:43 PM
Won't be at the Detroit feis, but will definitely be at the Michigan Feis in September - can't wait to compete and also hopefully see both Gaelic Storm and Seamus Kennedy!
re: Detroit Feis (karma: 1)
By boleyngrrl
On Wed Apr 02, 2014 09:02 PM
The Detroit feis is usually awesome. Good awards, decent sized comps (I have no experience with Adult grade comps--but the &overs in PW and up always have good numbers), pretty decent running time, great musicians. Good stages most of the time. Great location. Good food selection, but long, long lines at lunch (they have two small cafes in the lobby area, one with general feis food, one with subs and more healthy food). There are some fast food places right off premises (probably a 5 minute walk each way) if you don't want to wait in the lines.

However, if you are thinking of doing the grade exams, I have to say, NO. Never again. They kept us there from before 6pm until PAST midnight last year and still expected us to dance the next day. Didn't offer food, drink, or anything. It was available at cost, but we weren't offered anything. The judges did not follow the standard (written) grade exam rules and the feis did nothing to control it. My friend got hurt because we were forced to dance during grades that weren't ours, we weren't properly warmed up for, and we should not have been called in for. She was supposed to dance her first OC comp the next day. They gave her a little silver shamrock plate for her trouble, even though it was their fault she got hurt. Because of that treatment, they've lost my business forever at the feis and grades. I've been going to that feis for like 16 years, and I'm still appalled at how they treated us last year. I'm just glad it wasn't oldest to youngest.

So moral: usually good feis. Never do grade exams. I'm not going back, and I know no one else who was there that night in my grades is.

ReplySendWatch